2017 NFL off season thread

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 12:33 PM)
Or keep Jay Cutler for a $16 million cap hit. Option B sounds smarter.

Yea Jay is a 2M cap hit, so effectively you are paying the starting Qb position 17M

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 12:29 PM)
They haven't exactly had great QB play though. I'd be interested in Patterson from the pure sense that we lack speed and our special teams has been mediocre. He helps fill the void in both departments and potentially has some (albeit limited) upside as a receiver. As long as the price is right, I'm open to the play. Pryor is a guy I'd be all over (if the price was right). I think there is real potential upside if we were to sign him.

Bears will improve that for him :)

I think there is something to the lack of speed in Bears WR core. It's nice to have a wr fly guy, and the end around guy.

If the price is right, great. We've had crap returners for 5 years.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 09:45 AM)
Alex Marvez‏Verified account @alexmarvez 8m8 minutes ago

More

Not sure if out there but source tells @sn_nfl that @ChicagoBears expected to make push to sign @Vikings UFA WR @ceeflashpee84

Cordarrelle Patterson doing anything for ya?

I honestly think that dude has top 10 upside.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 10:45 AM)
Alex Marvez‏Verified account @alexmarvez 8m8 minutes ago

More

Not sure if out there but source tells @sn_nfl that @ChicagoBears expected to make push to sign @Vikings UFA WR @ceeflashpee84

Cordarrelle Patterson doing anything for ya?

Check my signature...

In all seriousness, I've been a firm believer that Minnesota never used CP properly. Is he smart? Probably not. Can he learn a playbook? Maybe. But he's so damn talented, you figure out a way to get the ball in his hands and let him go to work.

During the 2nd half of his rookie year they found ways to let him get in the open field (as a RB, screens, etc) and let him do his thing. It was his best year. Then Norv Turner came in and he never did much else.

I'd like adding him as a 3rd/4th WR, and yeah, as a return man, he'd be a significant upgrade.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 08:45 AM)
Glennon will be the Bears' next starting QB at about $15 million per.

Glennon sucks.

Worst part nobody. but Bears want him, Jets and SF not interested keep bidding against yourself Bears. 15 mil per year reported number no thanks. Another s***ty game manager QB should just sign Hoyer back IF that is what you want. Nobody can be happy or excited by this move. I am starting to question Pace as GM with this nonsense.

Edited by Soxfest

670 The Score‏Verified account @670TheScore 51m51 minutes ago

More

Report: #Bears' competition to potentially sign QB Mike Glennon may be disappearing.

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-bears/be...on-disappearing

If they can get him for that price its not that bad. Is Price playing the market better than what everyone thought? Maybe? We shall see.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 01:48 PM)
Marc Sessler‏Verified account

@MarcSesslerNFL

Follow

More

.@MikeSilver tells @NFLNetwork 'it's more likely than not that Kirk Cousins ends up being the 49ers quarterback.'

That was kind of a given once Shanahan went to SF. OCs just love guys who know their system

CSN Chicago reports the 49ers, Jets, and Bills have all dropped out of the bidding for free agent Mike Glennon.

We're not convinced the Bills were ever involved, while multiple reports elsewhere suggest the Jets were severely outbid by the Bears. Bay Area reports state the 49ers have "no interest" in Glennon at all. With only the Bears left to bid, it's possible Glennon's price tag drops below his expected $14-15 million annually. All signs continue to point toward Glennon landing in Chicago.

Source: CSN Chicago

Stop the 15 mil a year madness talk now Pace.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 10:33 AM)
Or keep Jay Cutler for a $16 million cap hit. Option B sounds smarter.

I think in a vacuum, keeping Jay and drafting a QB is the best decision you can make. We can drop him easily a year from now and talent wise he's the best of the current free agent QB's. That said, there is a point where just from a business / culture perspective, you have to move on and I get that with Jay. I presume if you go after Glennon, you are giving him up-front money and somewhere you have an isolated view that he can be an above average QB if all goes right and you are okay taking your shot at that, while also investing a high pick (not #3 high, but still high) in a QB who you also like (but obviously have doubts about...no QB picked in the 2nd round is guaranteed of success...clearly) and you figure going both routes the odds are there. I base all of this logic around the thoughts that you believe Glennon has some upside.

If you don't think Glennon has the upside and he's purely here to groom a QB, I don't see why you don't just save the money and go with Hoyer.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 12:09 PM)
CSN Chicago reports the 49ers, Jets, and Bills have all dropped out of the bidding for free agent Mike Glennon.

We're not convinced the Bills were ever involved, while multiple reports elsewhere suggest the Jets were severely outbid by the Bears. Bay Area reports state the 49ers have "no interest" in Glennon at all. With only the Bears left to bid, it's possible Glennon's price tag drops below his expected $14-15 million annually. All signs continue to point toward Glennon landing in Chicago.

Source: CSN Chicago

Stop the 15 mil a year madness talk now Pace.

I'm not mad at it, as long as we can drop him no problem in future years. Key to me isn't the per year, it is the guaranteed money and cap implications going forward.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 02:40 PM)
I'm not mad at it, as long as we can drop him no problem in future years. Key to me isn't the per year, it is the guaranteed money and cap implications going forward.

We are in agreement just sign Hoyer as a place holder to overpay badly for Glennon makes no sense. Pace looking like a novice right now.

Edited by Soxfest

670 The Score‏Verified account @670TheScore 18s18 seconds ago

More

"Right now they appear to be bidding against no one."

-- @ChrisWesseling on the #Bears' pursuit of Mike Glennon

670 The Score‏Verified account @670TheScore 37s38 seconds ago

More

Who's going to be the most overpaid free-agent signing?

"Mike Glennon."

-- @ChrisWesseling

NFL Network's Mike Garofolo suggested the Patriots are seeking two first-round picks in exchange for Jimmy Garoppolo.

The Boston Herald previously suggested New England's asking price was a first- and second-rounder. Citing "someone somewhat connected to the situation," Garofolo speculated the actual cost would be a first-round pick in 2017 and another first-rounder in 2018. The Patriots have a ton of leverage in trade talks, and seem more than willing to keep Garoppolo if nobody bites.

Source: Chris Wesseling on Twitter

NE good luck with that, talk about over playing your hand.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 04:04 PM)
Why the hell do we even have interest in Glennon?

Hoyer's a way better stop gap at probably 1/5 of the price.

Well, you know Hoyer is a stopgap. If the Bears think that Glennon can be a legit #1 QB, I don't have a problem guaranteeing him anywhere between $25M-$30M over 2 years (but ideally they would pay less than that). If he's bad, it's really only a sunk cost in Year 2, and you free the cap space back up in Year 3. If he's really good, or even average, you have him on a below market deal in the non-guaranteed years.

I'm not sure that I'm on board with that deal for Glennon, but I see the logic behind it. Particularly if they pair a deal with Glennon with drafting a QB they think they can develop in the 2nd or 3rd round.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 03:37 PM)
NFL Network's Mike Garofolo suggested the Patriots are seeking two first-round picks in exchange for Jimmy Garoppolo.

The Boston Herald previously suggested New England's asking price was a first- and second-rounder. Citing "someone somewhat connected to the situation," Garofolo speculated the actual cost would be a first-round pick in 2017 and another first-rounder in 2018. The Patriots have a ton of leverage in trade talks, and seem more than willing to keep Garoppolo if nobody bites.

Source: Chris Wesseling on Twitter

NE good luck with that, talk about over playing your hand.

It's not overplaying your hand if keeping him to replace Brady is a viable option in their minds. If someone pays their price, great. If not, he waits behind brady

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 04:45 PM)
It's not overplaying your hand if keeping him to replace Brady is a viable option in their minds. If someone pays their price, great. If not, he waits behind brady

Brady wants too play 3 or 4 more years, NE can't pay TB and JG top QB money to hang around after 2017.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 05:07 PM)
Brady wants too play 3 or 4 more years, NE can't pay TB and JG top money to hang around after 2017.

I didn't think they could pay them both either but Brady keeps restructuring and giving them flexibility. Brady may want to play 3-4 more years but he could blow out his knee in the first play of the season next year and call it a career

Also - if Bradford was some deal completely influenced by circumstance...he's not the only QB of a playoff team that will get injured next year. I know his contract will make it a bit harder to compare, but the Pats unfortunately are never actually in a bad position.