Updated teams interested in Q

harfman77

QUOTE (oldsox @ May 15, 2017 -> 07:54 AM)
Last night, several ESPN folks were babbling about Astros having such a great team and were certain buyers at the July trading deadline.

They should definitely trade for Q. Too lazy to look up thrir SP stats (I have Keuchel and McCullers on one fantasy team so I know how they are doing). Can anyone post the rest?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ May 15, 2017 -> 07:15 AM)
Yeah I don't think Q goes to Nats or Red Sox. Robertson to Nats and Frazier to Boston? Sure.

I don't see the Red Sox or Nationals totally depleting their farm system for Quintana

I could see the Yankees making a play if they are in the thick of a playoff race

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ May 15, 2017 -> 08:08 AM)
They should definitely trade for Q. Too lazy to look up thrir SP stats (I have Keuchel and McCullers on one fantasy team so I know how they are doing). Can anyone post the rest?

Their starting rotation has been stellar.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ May 15, 2017 -> 07:08 AM)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2017.shtml

Morton, Musgrove and Fiers.

Morton and Fiers are back end guys, with Morton better than expected and Musgrove just over a 5 ERA and even higher fip. All three of those guys are way behind the first two in whip and nearly every other category.

QUOTE (hi8is @ May 15, 2017 -> 12:14 AM)

So, in a matter of a few days, Levine reports that a lead/head scout from Washington is in Chicago to scout David Robertson, and the presence of this scout indicated that a deal was close. Now, because the Red Sox and Nationals have made trades with the White Sox, these are the two teams that know each other best....

Seems like Levine likes to draw connections like these to report on possible trades.

QUOTE (spiderman @ May 15, 2017 -> 09:36 AM)
So, in a matter of a few days, Levine reports that a lead/head scout from Washington is in Chicago to scout David Robertson, and the presence of this scout indicated that a deal was close. Now, because the Red Sox and Nationals have made trades with the White Sox, these are the two teams that know each other best....

Seems like Levine likes to draw connections like these to report on possible trades.

He is really driving me crazy. He has always been like this, but he is somehow finding it easier to get national recognition for his baseless crap.

QUOTE (spiderman @ May 15, 2017 -> 09:36 AM)

He never actually said a deal was close with Washington. Hit and Run's twitter feed just put that in the tweet for some reason.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ May 15, 2017 -> 07:09 AM)
I can't see the Red Sox wanting to give up even more of their prospects. But for discussion purposes, what would a Quintana Frazier package look like? I assume Devers, Groome, Travis to start.

Red Sox aren't giving up Devers...why give up the best prospect you have at a position of need for them? Just don't see it happening...

If I'm the Astros I'm holding steady.

The have McHugh coming back around ASB - that's like acquiring a SP in a trade in a sense.

Also don't forget Martes. He has potential - probably this year to take a RP role. His control has been an issue, but he has nasty stuff.

Also Musgrove is a candidate for improvement. He's got the stuff and if you look at his historical stats he'll find it. Just walking a lot and letting up an odd number of HR's for him.

The only way if I'm the Astros that I go out and acquire someone is if (when) McCullers throws out his arm throwing his curve balls. Other than that they have the depth to keep pitching very decently and cruise into the playoffs.

We all know the playoffs are a crapshoot anyways - the best team doesn't usually even win. Say they trade for Q and he s***s the bed in 2 of his playoff starts? If I'm the Astros I'm staying put and just selling off a few of my AAA assets (White, Reed, Hernandez, Kemp, etc.) for bullpen help.

I see them much more going after a guy like Nate Jones or Robertson than an elite SP. I can also see them adding someone like a Miguel Gonzalez. But I don't think they're going to sell the farm.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 15, 2017 -> 09:42 AM)
He never actually said a deal was close with Washington. Hit and Run's twitter feed just put that in the tweet for some reason.

I was basing my information from that feed; bad on the Score then if they are saying something he didn't say.

QUOTE (Wanne @ May 15, 2017 -> 09:59 AM)
Red Sox aren't giving up Devers...why give up the best prospect you have at a position of need for them? Just don't see it happening...

Yeah, I think the Red Sox would be more interested in a rental type like Holland or MiGo to help out this year.

I don't see the market for Quintana being all that super duper. They can get some good prospects, but not the elite. Plus, as per above, it appears that the best prospects of likely suitors are in their own positions of need.

Now the Sox do have a chance at getting good returns on any of a number of relievers...if they don't just concentrate on Robertson and Q.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ May 15, 2017 -> 04:20 PM)
I don't see the market for Quintana being all that super duper. They can get some good prospects, but not the elite. Plus, as per above, it appears that the best prospects of likely suitors are in their own positions of need.

Good thing they control him for 3 more seasons after this one, then. Because they aren't trading him unless they get at least 2 elite prospects.

As most of us already now the Sox are rebuilding and these things take time. No rush to move Q and if the right offers aren't there then wait it out until the off season. Hahn can do like he did last year with Sale and lay ground work for an off season trade in July/August. Just because Q is still here doesn't mean his value has dropped or that he will never be traded. Patience.

June is right around the corner so the rumors should hopefully pick up in the next few weeks.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ May 15, 2017 -> 04:24 PM)
Good thing they control him for 3 more seasons after this one, then. Because they aren't trading him unless they get at least 2 elite prospects.

Fantastic - the Sox don't need him in 2 of those years, and possibly 3, but they'll have him.

And I suspect that will happen to a lot of the players who the Sox should be full-bore on moving. They'll still have them.

Edited by GreenSox

If the division races stay close like they are now, then someone will pay big for Quintana. We could have a huge fire sale as teams will try and separate themselves from the pack. Rebuilding teams like the Reds and Brewers could be buyers for Q

QUOTE (striker @ May 15, 2017 -> 09:15 PM)
If the division races stay close like they are now, then someone will pay big for Quintana. We could have a huge fire sale as teams will try and separate themselves from the pack. Rebuilding teams like the Reds and Brewers could be buyers for Q

I was just thinking about the Brewers as buyers this season and wondered how they matched up. They have got outfielders for sure - Brinson might be out, but they still have Corey Ray and Brett Phillips and a few others. The Reds system isn't very good, but lucky for them, they should start being very bad soon.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ May 15, 2017 -> 05:39 PM)
Fantastic - the Sox don't need him in 2 of those years, and possibly 3, but they'll have him.

And I suspect that will happen to a lot of the players who the Sox should be full-bore on moving. They'll still have them.

Realistically, we're stuck with Frazier and Cabrera right now. Who else are you talking about that has legit value? Nate Jones? Abreu (who we all agreed was likely to stick around for awhile longer)? Saladino? Rodon? Anderson?

Avi, Davidson, Leury and Yolmer Sanchez still have pretty limited trade value.

That leaves Holland, MiGo, Swarzak and Kahnle if the right offer comes in, along with Robertson. Swarzak will be a FA, so he pretty much has to go.

OOOPS, meant to reply to GREENSOX!!!

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (daggins @ May 15, 2017 -> 10:21 PM)
I was just thinking about the Brewers as buyers this season and wondered how they matched up. They have got outfielders for sure - Brinson might be out, but they still have Corey Ray and Brett Phillips and a few others. The Reds system isn't very good, but lucky for them, they should start being very bad soon.

How about the Indians as a mystery team. Q would provide them with the stability they need in their oft injured rotation. Zimmer + Mejia as headliners would be very nice.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 15, 2017 -> 09:21 PM)
Realistically, we're stuck with Frazier and Cabrera right now. Who else are you talking about that has legit value? Nate Jones? Abreu (who we all agreed was likely to stick around for awhile longer)? Saladino? Rodon? Anderson?

Avi, Davidson, Leury and Yolmer Sanchez still have pretty limited trade value.

That leaves Holland, MiGo, Swarzak and Kahnle if the right offer comes in, along with Robertson. Swarzak will be a FA, so he pretty much has to go.

Swarzak and Robertson should be very valuable in July. Swarzak actually had some pretty good peripherals last year (just gave up a lot of homers) which might create more depth to his value.

And then anyone in the current bullpen could go.

Holland if he pitches well.

Frazier, Melky if they wake up.

I realize that most of these guys won't bring anything currently ready, but the Sox need A and AA players with some potential and these guys can bring 1 or 2 of those. The good farms stock their low minors consistently, often through international investment; the Sox really don't, so this is a way to achieve the same goal.

As for Leury, if he's a .720 OPS hitter legitimately, he has value; maybe value the Sox should keep. Playing SS and CF allows a team to add an additional bat and go with one less no-hit utility player. Year after year, when going for it, the Sox used 2 spots on utility players who couldn't hit.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ May 15, 2017 -> 06:39 PM)

So what do you want? Seems to me you'll b**** either way.

I think July should be interesting. The wildcard teams we thought would be contenders stumbled out of the gate, which will give unexpected teams a chance to deliver a playoff experience surprising their fans. Those are the ones that may overpay for marginal goods like our vets/bullpen surprises.

QUOTE (striker @ May 15, 2017 -> 09:15 PM)

It's really hard to envision Quintana getting moved this year. There's about to be a lot of pitching available on the market...and those guys are having better years than Q is having. With Quintana having a bit of an off year...why would any team give up a lot for him? It wouldn't make sense. On the flip side, if you're the Sox, you don't move him for less because he's having an off year. The contract/control situation allows the Sox to wait this out until Quintana gets back on track and that's what they will do.

Now, if Q does get his stuff together and goes on a nice run over the next month, then maybe things change. But you're still facing a market that will likely have plentiful options for teams needing pitching. Especially now that teams no longer get compensatory picks if they lose free agents. That will send teams in to seller mode a lot faster than previously.