Updated teams interested in Q

harfman77

QUOTE (Soha @ May 16, 2017 -> 09:40 AM)
It's really hard to envision Quintana getting moved this year. There's about to be a lot of pitching available on the market...and those guys are having better years than Q is having. With Quintana having a bit of an off year...why would any team give up a lot for him? It wouldn't make sense. On the flip side, if you're the Sox, you don't move him for less because he's having an off year. The contract/control situation allows the Sox to wait this out until Quintana gets back on track and that's what they will do.

Now, if Q does get his stuff together and goes on a nice run over the next month, then maybe things change. But you're still facing a market that will likely have plentiful options for teams needing pitching. Especially now that teams no longer get compensatory picks if they lose free agents. That will send teams in to seller mode a lot faster than previously.

I feel like his contract makes him so much more desirable than anybody else on the market though... having a cheap TOR for many years is better than an expensive half year rental. If you look at him as a long term solution rather than a temporary fix he will still be in high demand.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (yesterday333 @ May 16, 2017 -> 11:13 AM)
I feel like his contract makes him so much more desirable than anybody else on the market though... having a cheap TOR for many years is better than an expensive half year rental. If you look at him as a long term solution rather than a temporary fix he will still be in high demand.

I agree with this, though to me that makes him a better off-season trade candidate.

On another note - did you all see the Daily Herald is proposing a Quintana for Schwarber straight up trade?

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/20170515...a-for-schwarber

QUOTE (Soha @ May 16, 2017 -> 11:14 AM)
I agree with this, though to me that makes him a better off-season trade candidate.

On another note - did you all see the Daily Herald is proposing a Quintana for Schwarber straight up trade?

Wow that is awful haha a deal with the Cubs starts with Happ and/or Jimenez.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ May 16, 2017 -> 10:23 AM)
Wow that is awful haha a deal with the Cubs starts with Happ and/or Jimenez.

I think the cubs are a great partner for the sox. With their starting pitching situation and their prospects it makes too much sense. Is Happ, Jemenez, and Cadelario too much to ask?

QUOTE (yesterday333 @ May 16, 2017 -> 11:50 AM)
I think the cubs are a great partner for the sox. With their starting pitching situation and their prospects it makes too much sense. Is Happ, Jemenez, and Cadelario too much to ask?

I do think they match up perfectly as well. And I would definitely start the discussion there.

I think the price is reasonable. Candelerio is raking so far in Iowa and boy could the Sox use a young talent like him at 3B.

QUOTE (yesterday333 @ May 16, 2017 -> 12:52 PM)
Yeah, if we made that trade and signed Robert, the bats in our farm no longer are a weakness...

No doubt. Would be fun talking about future lineup cards with names like Collins, Moncada, Robert, Happ, Candelerio, Jimenez and hopefully Haseley to throw out there. Then there's stil Basabe, Call, Remillard, Fisher and Schnurbush to consider.

Who knows, maybe we can add Soto and/or Kieboom to that list if the Nat's ( enter David Robertson) continue to have bullpen problems. I do wonder how serious the reported Nat's interest in Q is. The Nat's still have Robles, Soto, Kieboom and Fedde so the Nat's still have enough talent left to make a solid offer for Q. Would be funny to see a desperate Rizzo come crawling back on his knees for second's.

Personally if we're dealing with the cubs I would like to see Happ, Candelario, Albertos and Caratini. Sox get a bunch of switch hitting multi positional near ready bats and a very interesting arm in Albertos.

QUOTE (Soha @ May 16, 2017 -> 11:14 AM)

The Sports Mockery garbage proposal of Schwarber straight up for Quintana would be an awful trade for the White Sox. Schwarber alone has nowhere near the value of 3 1/2 seasons of a proven Jose Quintana.

I'd want prospects like Happ/Jimenez/Candelario in return, but I don't really see a deal coming together

I'm not saying he won't become a good player, but so far Schwarber is the most overrated player in major league baseball in my opinion. He offers zero defensive value moving forward and his .656 OPS this season (small sample size, I know) isn't exactly an impact bat.

I'd need sigificantly more than him before I trade a proven starter on a cheap contract

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ May 16, 2017 -> 12:47 PM)
I think the price is reasonable. Candelerio is raking so far in Iowa and boy could the Sox use a young talent like him at 3B.

He's been awful in the big leagues though. Something like 2 for his last 28. I think he's okay, but looks lost in his at bats and isn't a defensive stud either. Happ on the other hand, looks very much the part. If your going to get all bat, no glove, I'll gladly take him.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 16, 2017 -> 01:33 PM)
He's been awful in the big leagues though. Something like 2 for his last 28. I think he's okay, but looks lost in his at bats and isn't a defensive stud either. Happ on the other hand, looks very much the part. If your going to get all bat, no glove, I'll gladly take him.

well wasn't Moncada pretty bad in the bigs as well? I think there is potential there especially as a 3rd piece of a deal. Obviously we cant bank on one prospect working out but that would be three nice bats...

QUOTE (yesterday333 @ May 16, 2017 -> 02:37 PM)
well wasn't Moncada pretty bad in the bigs as well?

Moncada skipped AAA though. Obviously it's only 30+ PA the kid has so its silly to write him off, but Happ to me looks like the more impressive hitter.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 16, 2017 -> 02:26 PM)
So let me get this straight. Everyone wants the Cubs three best prospects in return and are a no on Schwarber?

I did not say no Schwarber, I mean no Schwarber straight up for Quintana.

I would prefer a Happ/Jimenez/Candelario package, but I don't see the Cubs cleaning out their minor league system to that level

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 16, 2017 -> 02:33 PM)

Haven't watched any cub games so I missed Candelerio's struggles but still like him as a prospect. Happ, yeah, been liking his bat since the '15 college season. There was a part of me that was hoping the Sox would take Happ over Fulmer that year, not that I'm complaining about Fulmer. I think the Cubs end up keeping Happ and use Schwarber as trade bait for pitching in July.

As for the deadline article. No, Kyle Schwarber will not get the cubs Q straight up. If we're talking straight up offers for Schwarber, the cubs can choose any one of MiGo/Holland/Shields to join the cubs pitching staff. :lol:

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 16, 2017 -> 02:50 PM)
Moncada skipped AAA though. Obviously it's only 30+ PA the kid has so its silly to write him off, but Happ to me looks like the more impressive hitter.

Minor league career statline:

Yoan Moncada .294/.396/.484/.880

Ian Happ .275/.362/.472/.834

Edited by Dunt

QUOTE (Dunt @ May 16, 2017 -> 03:34 PM)
Minor league career statline:

Yoan Moncada .294/.396/.484/.880

Ian Happ .275/.362/.472/.834

Not taking anything away from Happ, but Moncada is undoubtedly the better prospect out of the two at this point

Scouting grades: Hit: 60 | Power: 55 | Run: 65 | Arm: 60 | Field: 50 | Overall: 65 = Moncada

Scouting grades: Hit: 60 | Power: 50 | Run: 55 | Arm: 55 | Field: 45 | Overall: 55 = Happ

Happ is further along in his development at the plate, but Moncada has near plus plus speed and projects as at least average or better defensively with a strong arm. Moncada could arguably play 2B/3B/OF for the White Sox.

Happ is not a very good in the infield, and is likely destined to end up in left field. I like him, but he's not without shortcomings.

I think the bidding for Q will come down to the Cubs and Cards. Both have a need at SP and cost controlled SP at that. I don't see the Nats doing much to their rotation as they are likely to run away with that division in the second half and with all the injuries the Mets have, it doesn't make a lot of sense for them to be chasing a pennant this season.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 16, 2017 -> 02:26 PM)
So let me get this straight. Everyone wants the Cubs three best prospects in return and are a no on Schwarber?

We could sign a guy like him who only has value with the bat in FA once the rest of the team is put together. No sense in paying a premium to acquire someone like that.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 16, 2017 -> 11:21 PM)
I think the bidding for Q will come down to the Cubs and Cards. Both have a need at SP and cost controlled SP at that. I don't see the Nats doing much to their rotation as they are likely to run away with that division in the second half and with all the injuries the Mets have, it doesn't make a lot of sense for them to be chasing a pennant this season.

Rockies for Rodgers + is my hope