Lopez and Kopech Starting Tomorrow 2/28

5+6=Perfection

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 01:31 PM)
The really lame, but true answer is whenever they are ready.

I know that isn't what you're totally asking, but my point is because the White Sox have come out and said this is going to be a longer process, this isn't a Jimmy Rollins/Tim Anderson thing where it's "Well if we can get three good months of out Rollins, maybe Anderson can come up by the deadline and we'll be in good shape.."

I want to see these guys on the major league roster when they have very little left to prove in MiLB. If Moncada is just crushing in AAA by June, bring him up and start the process. If Giolito takes the entire year in AAA to work on things, I guess so be it. Certainly there will be some disappoint with some of these guys, but in my head, I don't have any estimated arrival dates for any of them. Lets see what happens in AA-AAA over the first three months of the year, then take a look at the bigger picture.

All that said, I would be surprised / dissapointed if by the summer, Lopez / Giolito / Fullmer / Moncada were not on the major league roster. I agree with you, they shouldn't be up until they are ready, but I would expect, that given each of their time frames and existing minor league experience, that we would be targeting having those guys all up during the second half of this year.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 03:47 PM)
All that said, I would be surprised / mildy dissapointed if by the summer, Lopez / Giolito / Fullmer / Moncada were not on the major league roster. I agree with you, they shouldn't be up until they are ready, but I would expect, that given each of their time frames and existing minor league experience, that we would be targeting having those guys all up during the second half of this year.

Especially, since they have all had the first "cup of coffee" last year. This should be the year where they come up prior to the September call up time. If they develop as they should that is.

I really wouldn't be opposed to Moncada getting a full year in Triple-A to be honest. Maybe a September call-up and then called up June 2018 (if he's producing) and then having him for the remainder of the year plus 6 years. This is only his age 21-season so you can definitely make a case for it.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 03:30 PM)
If people freak out about a guy who is 20 pitching in an early spring training game, they are nuts. No one expects Kopech to be even close to the big league roster at this point. If anything, I'd think people should be excited that he flashed some plus curves and obviously demonstrated that his velocity is real.

Amen too that

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 01:58 PM)
I really wouldn't be opposed to Moncada getting a full year in Triple-A to be honest. Maybe a September call-up and then called up June 2018 (if he's producing) and then having him for the remainder of the year plus 6 years.

If I was going to say any of those guys took a bit longer, I'd have pegged it to be Moncada. That said, I still say it would be dissapointing if they weren't all on the major league roster come the summer.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 04:00 PM)
If I was going to say any of those guys took a bit longer, I'd have pegged it to be Moncada. That said, I still say it would be dissapointing if they weren't all on the major league roster come the summer.

It would definitely suck as we all want to see him but I would completely understand why it happened if it did. Sucks that the Red Sox put him on their 40-man in September. He currently wouldn't be on our 40-man right now as he wouldn't have enough minor league time to warrant the need for it.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 05:30 PM)
If people freak out about a guy who is 20 pitching in an early spring training game, they are nuts. No one expects Kopech to be even close to the big league roster at this point. If anything, I'd think people should be excited that he flashed some plus curves and obviously demonstrated that his velocity is real.

This guys aren't even really trying to get guys out. They are working on pitches. Your post is spot on.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 12:04 AM)
This guys aren't even really trying to get guys out. They are working on pitches. Your post is spot on.

Something I was really impressed with is how Kopech wasn't missing by much on the balls he threw

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 10:00 PM)

That's cool you say this. I agree. You are out on a limb here, though. My feeling reading the board is very few people want our prospects anywhere near the major league roster anytime soon.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 01:58 AM)
That's cool you say this. I agree. You are out on a limb here, though. My feeling reading the board is very few people want our prospects anywhere near the major league roster anytime soon.

If Lopez and Moncada aren't on the MLB roster by July it's not a good sign. Giolito it would be nice to see a cameo from in late summer and September. Kopech? Kopech shouldn't sniff the bigs this year, perhaps even if he's the 2nd coming of Kerry Wood in AA. Fulmer? Hopefully he forces his way up by August. He's a 4th starter at best imo though. Not as exciting as the others mentioned.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 02:02 AM)
If Lopez and Moncada aren't on the MLB roster by July it's not a good sign. Giolito it would be nice to see a cameo from in late summer and September. Kopech? Kopech shouldn't sniff the bigs this year, perhaps even if he's the 2nd coming of Kerry Wood in AA. Fulmer? Hopefully he forces his way up by August. He's a 4th starter at best imo though. Not as exciting as the others mentioned.

Kopech September 18 at earliest I would say and that's probably being too generous.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 05:40 AM)
Kopech September 18 at earliest I would say and that's probably being too generous.

There's no way. Even if his talent proves undeniable he has so far to go to build up his stamina and innings.

I'm in no hurry for any of the prospects to be called up. This is not going to be a quick turnaround, so why rush anyone?

Obviously if they determine that someone is ready, then yeah, call them up, but no one should be hurried for what is going to be a low-expectation season.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 08:36 AM)
There's no way. Even if his talent proves undeniable he has so far to go to build up his stamina and innings.

Also remember talk in Boston media was very split as to whether Kopech would end up being a starter or reliever. Hopefully the White Sox can add another pitch and make him a starter but that decision ultimately determines how fast he arrives. With Burdi, I think the FO will be patient and give Kopech time to develop as a starter.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 07:36 AM)

He can't do that in September in the minors due to the season being over (unless a team is in the playoffs). I was only talking about getting his feet wet. But yeah, like I said, September 2018 is too generous.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 08:15 AM)
He can't do that in September in the minors due to the season being over (unless a team is in the playoffs). I was only talking about getting his feet wet. But yeah, like I said, September 2018 is too generous.

His innings limit should be done by September without injuries, if he is a starter all year.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 05:40 AM)

Yeah, realistically he has had such low innings outputs, you have to imagine that things would have go absolutely perfect to make September of 18. In my head, I think middle to end of 2019 is realistic.