Could the White Sox be better this year?

VAfan

Here's a crazy thought that's been in my head for some time. Only now have i had a moment to put it into a post.

With the rebuilding project stalled after only Chris Sale and Adam Eaton were traded, I started wondering if the White Sox could more than compensate for their loss if a bunch of their other players played better than they did last season.

For example.

1. Jose Abreu. .657 OPS in March/April, .711 OPS in May, .700 OPS in July. But 1.061 OPS in August, .885 in June, and .887 in Sept/Oct. Finished with an .820 OPS overall. Clearly, there's a lot of potential improvement there. He stunk it up 3 of the first four months of the season, then got insanely hot.

2. Todd Frazier. Might not hit 40 HRs again, but he could do better than a .757 OPS, as he beat that 3 of his previous 4 years.

3. Tim Anderson. He's the starting SS from the get go. Jimmie Rollins isn't getting 150 ABs to flush down the toilet.

4. No more Dioner Navarro, and is 67 OPS+. Alex Avila was much better as a hitter, but got only 169 ABs. Framing wise, both Navarro and Avila were bad.

5. No more JB Shuck putting up a 52 OPS+ over 224 ABs.

6. Carlos Rodon, with a better framing catcher, could do better than a 4.04 ERA.

7. James Shields might be awful, but can't really be worse than 4-12 and a 6.77 ERA.

8. Derek Holland. What if he pitches reasonably?

9. The bullpen. No Matt Albers. Jake Petricka and Zach Putnam back. Nate Jones further away from his injury. Should be deeper and better.

10. No more Robin Ventura to kick around.

Of course, the Sox are hopeful to unload a lot more talent before the season either commences, or ends. But as the team stands now, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that, with no expectations, it could surprise.

What do you think?

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 4, 2017 -> 09:44 PM)
Our outfield is the worst outfield I've ever seen as a fan. Our 3-4-5 is awful. Don't compare Sox to themselves, compare them to other teams. Sox are really bad.

this, not sure why people can't just accept this s***, they're just setting themselves up for a huge let down

Sox will be in the bottom 5 this year in the whole league IMO

I like the enthusiasm but I don't see it happening this year. We're going to see alot of new players over the next few years and those players will take time to adjust so be prepared for many ups and downs. Should still be fun watching the kids grow up though.

The Sox absolutely could be better. Baseball works in mysterious ways sometimes. And it certainly doesn't go by the book and how the teams look on paper.

That said they probably will be worse. I would guesstimate this team probably stands about a 70% chance of being worse than last year. Maybe about a 20% chance of being about the same. And a 10% chance of being better. And this is partially from me thinking last year's team underachieved a little bit.

Hope springs eternal but I would definitely think we are now entering into some real dark years for this team Not only is 2017 going to be a bad year, 2018 will be even worse. This team has 4 major holes, catcher, CF, RF, and DH. Plus they traded their best pitcher to Boston. Once Frazier, Cabrera, Robertson and Quintana are gone there will be more holes to fill. The team has nobody to fill those holes from the farm system. The farm is top heavy with pitching and doesn't have anybody who can step in and play in the every day lineup. I don't know how anybody can be optimistic about this team the next few years. I'm real curious to see what kind of attendance this team draws after a couple of 100 loss seasons. Between the years 1966-1971 the team didn't draw over a million people any of those years. I wonder if the attendance will mirror those years again.

My friend and I were discussing this a few weeks ago.

He was asking whether I thought we would be horrendous this year.

I said, well, I anticipated we would be, but honestly, the team hasn't changed THAT much. Yes, Sale and Eaton are big losses, but it isn't as if this is the NBA.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if, through a combination of other occurrences, we end up being either just as good or better.

It's possible I suppose that they could play well for a month or two. But it's not sustainable.

Now if they do, it's essential that the Front Office suppress its instincts and keep their head on the task at hand in the real world. That little dance in fantasy land last June was costly.

The FO's main job between now and 7/30 is to dispatch the veterans. Stay focused, Hahn.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Mar 6, 2017 -> 12:39 PM)
The biggest change for the positive is no more Robin. That should be good for at least 10 extra wins alone. The only thing is that's offset by the loss of Sale, Eaton, and others. I don't see us being worse, but don't see us being better either.

That's hysterical. 10 games.

One thing Renteria was criticized heavily about when he ran the Cubs was bullpen management. I'm sure it won't take long for anyone thinking he's worth 10 more wins to act like they never thought that.

No Sale, and a offense that was terrible without Eaton. I wouldn't hold your breath thinking this team will be anything but terrible.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Mar 6, 2017 -> 12:39 PM)
The biggest change for the positive is no more Robin. That should be good for at least 10 extra wins alone. The only thing is that's offset by the loss of Sale, Eaton, and others. I don't see us being worse, but don't see us being better either.

Yikes.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Mar 6, 2017 -> 03:01 PM)
I honestly don't think they're going to be anywhere near as bad as most here think (want?) them to be. I think they'll hang around 5 games under .500 until they dismantle sometime in June or July.

After the first week, the Sox play 44 of 66 games on the road. They're going to suck...then they'll make some trades...then they'll suck a little more.