2017 Big 10 Tournament

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 01:00 PM)
Not likely. The program is in such s***ty state, and you're going to have better programs like Indiana competing for the same candidates. I'd love to throw a guy like Greg Marshall a dump truck's worth of money, but that's not happening.

I liked the Hoiberg idea, but I think it's a year too early for that.

I should have said "out of the box" a la Lovie Smith in football.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah ok. Not sure there is a guy like that in college bball. I wouldn't mind Bryce Drew. He did a decent job at Valpo. Roger Powell was or still is his assistant. Maybe you can get Scott to come instead to get away from the impending Baylor implosion.

edit: i guess Monty Williams fits the criteria of out of the box. NBA lifer who has never coached at the college level or recruited.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 12:54 PM)
When there's a coaching change, the player will almost always get released from the NLOI. I would expect that to happen here.

Typically they will throw in a couple of places they won't allow (no big 10 schools, etc), but yeah, normal behavior is to release the players.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 01:05 PM)
Ah ok. Not sure there is a guy like that in college bball. I wouldn't mind Bryce Drew. He did a decent job at Valpo. Roger Powell was or still is his assistant. Maybe you can get Scott to come instead to get away from the impending Baylor implosion.

Bryce just got his big deal at Vandy for the start of this season. He isn't going anywhere for a few years. Honestly, I am not sure he would even view Illinois as an upgrade.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 01:05 PM)

edit: i guess Monty Williams fits the criteria of out of the box. NBA lifer who has never coached at the college level or recruited.

Hoiberg, despite his recent college success, would be that type of coach. A guy no one really thinks is available for college at the moment.

I mean, I just want the s***show to stop.

Edited by Sox-35th

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 01:07 PM)
Bryce just got his big deal at Vandy for the start of this season. He isn't going anywhere for a few years. Honestly, I am not sure he would even view Illinois as an upgrade.

Illinois has had a bad decade of basketball, but let's not go crazy here. It's still a top 25-30 job. It's definitely a jump up from Vanderbilt. Plus he doesn't have a great recruiting class coming in. The buyout may be pricey, but I don't think money is a problem at Illinois. Too many pissed off and eager alumni that want the basketball program to be back in the top 10-15 nationally like it was for the better part of the 90's and 00's.

If Groce is fired Illinois will after recruits meeting with new coach the option to leave. Illinois does not want the rep of not letting guys have option to leave that would effect future recruits for years.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 01:13 PM)
Bryce isn't going anywhere. Not overly impressed by him anyways

Really? Didn't he take Valpo to like 4 straight tournaments?

edit: 2 out of 4 with 4 league titles. Hey, better than Groce!

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 01:11 PM)
Illinois has had a bad decade of basketball, but let's not go crazy here. It's still a top 25-30 job. It's definitely a jump up from Vanderbilt. Plus he doesn't have a great recruiting class coming in. The buyout may be pricey, but I don't think money is a problem at Illinois. Too many pissed off and eager alumni that want the basketball program to be back in the top 10-15 nationally like it was for the better part of the 90's and 00's.

Bryce isn't about the money. If he was, he would have ditched Valpo years before. There weren't many jobs he would have left Valpo for, but academics really is important to him, as well as religion. If he leaves for another job, I would imagine it would be something like Stanford, and not Illinois. The dude isn't a job chaser.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 01:16 PM)
Supposed to really struggle at recruiting

I think that was more institution than he was recruiting for being difficult to get into versus his not being able to recruit. Though the one oddity is that he really didn't want kids from the area going there. He refused to recruit The Region, when he there is some pretty awesome talent that goes through here. The guy who just took the job has changed that though, his first signing was from two towns over from Valpo.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 07:16 PM)
Bryce isn't about the money. If he was, he would have ditched Valpo years before. There weren't many jobs he would have left Valpo for, but academics really is important to him, as well as religion. If he leaves for another job, I would imagine it would be something like Stanford, and not Illinois. The dude isn't a job chaser.

He did use GT last year to get more money from Vandy. Numerous GT sources say he gave GT his word he was coming there and had already contacted potential assistants

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 01:19 PM)
He did use GT last year to get more money from Valpo. Numerous GT sources say he gave GT his word he was coming there and had already contacted potential assistants

I want to say he was making something like 250 or 300k at Valpo. He was getting paid less than a lot of assistant coaches at big schools.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 01:18 PM)
Word on the street is that assistant coach Jamall Walker has the keys to Tilmon. So, if the new coach retains him, it's possible that Illinois could hold on to Tilmon. Hard to say what a guy like Frazier would do.

When people pressed Frazier after the "please don't fire Groce" he said he was committed to the school first, so who knows. Either way, the emergence of Tejon lessens the hurt a bit.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 01:18 PM)
Word on the street is that assistant coach Jamall Walker has the keys to Tilmon. So, if the new coach retains him, it's possible that Illinois could hold on to Tilmon. Hard to say what a guy like Frazier would do.

No one associated with this coaching staff should stay, regardless of the recruits they can or can't keep. This program needs a full on rebuild. I want no stink left on the program from this terrible staff. It wasn't just the lack of development, it was the complete no shows time after time after time. They just had 2 play in, must win games and they couldn't get up for either of them. That's pathetic and directly attributable to the coaching staff. Either they can't coach or the players have tuned them out. Either way, they all have to go.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 01:24 PM)
No one associated with this coaching staff should stay, regardless of the recruits they can or can't keep. This program needs a full on rebuild. I want no stink left on the program from this terrible staff. It wasn't just the lack of development, it was the complete no shows time after time after time. They just had 2 play in, must win games and they couldn't get up for either of them. That's pathetic and directly attributable to the coaching staff. Either they can't coach or the players have tuned them out. Either way, they all have to go.

Should be 100% the next coach's decision. If he wants to clean house, you absolutely let him. If he thinks keeping a coach around to keep the recruiting class together is a good idea, you let him do that.

People worry way too much about recruits leaving when there is a coaching change. First off Groce is f***ing horrendous and you aren't winning a damn thing with him anyways any one or two recruits don't change that. But in reality most kids don't leave after a coaching change anyways and if the next coach keeps Walker (should definitely be the new coach's decision but as AD you let them know) the signed guys almost certainly all stay and you have a great chance at landing Mark Smith too.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 02:16 PM)
People worry way too much about recruits leaving when there is a coaching change. First off Groce is f***ing horrendous and you aren't winning a damn thing with him anyways any one or two recruits don't change that. But in reality most kids don't leave after a coaching change anyways and if the next coach keeps Walker (should definitely be the new coach's decision but as AD you let them know) the signed guys almost certainly all stay and you have a great chance at landing Mark Smith too.

I understand that but the way some people on here who know way more about these recruits than I did thought it signaled a resurgence for the program with Groce still coaching like they had seen him coach for 4 years, I wonder if it is a factor. Maybe they won't leave anyway, but despite what they say, 99.9% commit to the coach/staff rather than the school. It seems almost every new coach in this situation has to talk the star into staying rather than the other way around.