White Sox Scout Yankees for Potential Q Trade

DirtySox

;)

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 10:33 AM)
https://www.google.com/amp/yanksgoyard.com/...eepstakes-2/amp

Lol, sure. That's why Hahn has went ahead and settled for less than he thinks Q is worth. Wait, he hasn't, so I guess the Sox are in a position of power. Man, that writer is delusional. Cracked me up so I had to share.

I mean, Hahn does have an incentive to want to move Quintana now. I think there's a legit chance that keeping Q on the team until the all-star break or trading deadline will result in the Sox falling out of the Seth Beer sweepstakes. They have to decide is it worth it to squeeze every last bit out of a Q trade - even if it costs them dearly in the 2018 draft? It really depends if there are or have been any offers that are close, and we as fans have no way of knowing that answer.

This all said, Q talking about being motivated to make a return trip to the all-star game, on top of his super pitching early on so far...it has me almost afraid of moving him. I could see him getting moved to the Yankees and winning 20 games this year.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soha @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 11:05 AM)
;)

I mean, Hahn does have an incentive to want to move Quintana now. I think there's a legit chance that keeping Q on the team until the all-star break or trading deadline will result in the Sox falling out of the Seth Beer sweepstakes. They have to decide is it worth it to squeeze every last bit out of a Q trade - even if it costs them dearly in the 2018 draft? It really depends if there are or have been any offers that are close, and we as fans have no way of knowing that answer.

This all said, Q talking about being motivated to make a return trip to the all-star game, on top of his super pitching early on so far...it has me almost afraid of moving him. I could see him getting moved to the Yankees and winning 20 games this year.

According to Hahn, he has not had any offers that were close. The '18 draft position is not as important as getting Max value for Q in a trade. Q is a pitcher that can only affect the outcome of 30-33 games per year and pitches for a team that is notorious for giving him no run support. Trading Q now will not result in too many more losses than trading him in June/July. Stay the course, remain patient and reap the rewards come June/July.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 12:02 PM)
I feel like Torres is the hold up in this deal. Hahn needs to get him back and Cashman is reluctant to throw him in, similar to what happened with Dombroski and Moncada. I don't even think Frazier is acceptable as a headliner for what Hahn wants to get done.

It wouldn't shock me if Cashman considered him "untouchable" (even though I don't think he should be for a player of Q's caliber).

In all honesty, a 4 or 5 player package headlined by Frazier/Rutherford would be enough for me in all likelihood assuming the other guys are somewhat decent (maybe Mateo, Andujar, Fowler, etc).

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 11:11 AM)
It wouldn't shock me if Cashman considered him "untouchable" (even though I don't think he should be for a player of Q's caliber).

In all honesty, a 4 or 5 player package headlined by Frazier/Rutherford would be enough for me in all likelihood assuming the other guys are somewhat decent (maybe Mateo, Andujar, Fowler, etc).

Yankees prospects are perpetually overrated

Torres is likely viewed as untouchable, which hurts the chances of a deal coming together

I feel like Torres is the hold up in this deal. Hahn needs to get him back and Cashman is reluctant to throw him in, similar to what happened with Dombroski and Moncada. I don't even think Frazier is acceptable as a headliner for what Hahn wants to get done.

Not high on Frazier myself. I'm hoping for something along the lines of Torres/Rutherford/Montgomery/Fowler for Q. I really don't think asking for two highly ranked A ball players is asking too much as a headliner in a trade for Q.

Well there was a rumor at one point of the ask being Frazier, Mateo, & Severino. Whether that's true or not I don't know, but there are deals to made without Torres. IMO, Hahn would be absolutely crazy to pass on a Frazier & Rutherford headlined package. And I think an argument could be made for a couple other players being a suitable co-headliner as long as Frazier is in the mix. Hell, the rumored ask is interesting at the very least. Severino was the Yankees #1 prospect and #35 overall just a few years ago and as bmags pointed out earlier Mateo could be an interesting CF idea. If you're scouts are still high on both of those guys, that might be a package worth taking.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 12:24 PM)
Not high on Frazier myself. I'm hoping for something along the lines of Torres/Rutherford/Montgomery/Fowler for Q. I really don't think asking for two highly ranked A ball players is asking too much as a headliner in a trade for Q.

No chance Torres goes anywhere IMO.

Edited by Y2JImmy0

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 11:46 AM)

Agreed

Moncada would have been untouchable if it were not for Benintendi and Devers also being in the Red Sox farm system

Sox best bet is really to wait until mid season to swing a deal. Some prospects will raise their value, while others will falter

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 12:46 PM)

At this point I would agree. Now if the Yanks are in the WC hunt come July then that could change. I'm not counting on Torres to be a headliner, just wishful thinking.

Realistically I think a package of Mateo/Rutherford headlining could suit both teams well. It's just a matter of filling out the rest of the trade. Something like Mateo/Rutherford/Montgomery/Fowler + flier might work.

As for why the White Sox would possibly target a shortstop in a deal for Quintana? In 2016, White Sox shortstops combined to post a .707 OPS--below league average for American League shortstops.

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2017/0..._to_yankee.html

Wow. It's like the Sox don't have a kid named Tim Anderson at SS. Not that the Sox wouldn't be interested in Torres/Mateo but the failure to mention TA in the article tells me the writer doesn't know much about baseball outside of the Bronx.

I really need to find better things to read in my free time.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 12:40 PM)
A guy who plays SS can likely play any position on the diamond outside of the battery. The Sox aren't going to turn down a SS prospect they love because of TA. You get all the best players up the middle and hope you have to worry about their positions later.

Exactly, your shortstops are generally some of the most athletic guys on the field, and most could play several other positions if asked

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 12:31 PM)
Well there was a rumor at one point of the ask being Frazier, Mateo, & Severino. Whether that's true or not I don't know, but there are deals to made without Torres. IMO, Hahn would be absolutely crazy to pass on a Frazier & Rutherford headlined package. And I think an argument could be made for a couple other players being a suitable co-headliner as long as Frazier is in the mix. Hell, the rumored ask is interesting at the very least. Severino was the Yankees #1 prospect and #35 overall just a few years ago and as bmags pointed out earlier Mateo could be an interesting CF idea. If you're scouts are still high on both of those guys, that might be a package worth taking.

I am not sure there is a deal to be made with the Yankees without Torres, if they do not include him I don't think they would beat a package from the Pirate (Meadows)/Astros(Martes/Tucker)/Braves (Albies) or Cardinals (Kelly+depth). Frazier is a nice player, but too much swing and miss in his game. Rutherford is much to far away to be considered a key piece. The rest of their prospects are fine, but nothing really jumps out about them to me. Mateo's stock is down, Andujar may be a pitcher by the end of the year. There is not a lot of quality depth to me in the Yankees system right now, if they don't throw in Torres, someone like the Braves or Cardinals could jump in with the depth in their systems an surpass what the Yankees could offer.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 01:40 PM)
A guy who plays SS can likely play any position on the diamond outside of the battery. The Sox aren't going to turn down a SS prospect they love because of TA. You get all the best players up the middle and hope you have to worry about their positions later.

Not really seeing your. I never said the Sox would turn down a chance to get guys like Torres or Mateo. I just pointed out that the writer makes the Sox sound as though they don't have a SS and are in desperate need of one, which is simply not true. I've been saying all winter long the Sox should grab hitting talent regardless of the position they play.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 01:10 PM)
I am not sure there is a deal to be made with the Yankees without Torres, if they do not include him I don't think they would beat a package from the Pirate (Meadows)/Astros(Martes/Tucker)/Braves (Albies) or Cardinals (Kelly+depth). Frazier is a nice player, but too much swing and miss in his game. Rutherford is much to far away to be considered a key piece. The rest of their prospects are fine, but nothing really jumps out about them to me. Mateo's stock is down, Andujar may be a pitcher by the end of the year. There is not a lot of quality depth to me in the Yankees system right now, if they don't throw in Torres, someone like the Braves or Cardinals could jump in with the depth in their systems an surpass what the Yankees could offer.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2016/12/6/1...spects-for-2017

I'm going to disagree with you on that point. The Yankees have one of the deepest farms in the mlb.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 03:35 PM)

I'm going to disagree with you on that point. The Yankees have one of the deepest farms in the mlb.

It's deep but are they willing to trade two of their top 5 guys to get a deal done? It doesn't appear so.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 02:40 PM)
It's deep but are they willing to trade two of their top 5 guys to get a deal done? It doesn't appear so.

This appears to be the case for all teams, which is why a deal isn't done with anyone.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 02:35 PM)

I disagree with their assessment, the Yankees perennially have one of the most overrated farm systems in baseball. I like some of their guys like Acevedo, but I have seen their top guys come up (or get traded) and flame out despite having what has been consistently a top 10 system. I know people are high on the Yankees system, but outside of their guys who are considered to be untouchable I do not see much in the way of impact talent, nothing worth a top 10 pitcher in Q.

Just spitballing here:

If we're to use Fangraphs' ballparking of Quintana's surplus value ($80 to $90 million), and then compare that to today's "Valuing the 2017 Top Prospects" list, then what seems to make sense would be something along the lines of: Clint Frazier ($38M), Blake Rutherford ($38M), and Justus Sheffield ($14M). Maybe another lottery ticket to boot. Something like that seems right to me.

(Meanwhile, my personal favorite move would be to find a way to pry Austin Meadows ($70M) and Glasnow ($22M) from the Pirates, but it'd likely be just those two.)

(Also: The other crazy thing is we somehow got $129M back plus Basabe / Diaz for Sale.)

Edited by rcpweiner

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 03:51 PM)
I agree with the Yankees having an overrated system as often as they have a highly touted system but I think that's less true this time around. The guys they got back from Cleveland and the Cubs were highly touted before the Yankees got them. On top of that, the Yanks have objectively hit home runs with their last two first rounders in Rutherford and Kaprelian. Mateo definitely seems overrated though. I am not as big on Frazier as the consensus either but that's splitting hairs.

Not to mention the White Sox also had interest in the bolded even before they were Yankees.