"White Sox fire sale isn’t over — it just got paused"

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Mar 12, 2017 -> 07:39 PM)
They would get some share of parts of states surrounding Nevada that don't have teams. Northern AZ, UT, ID, OR, Inland CA.

Plus tourists in town will go to a game or two.

Spoken like someone who doesn't know how TV markets work. The Diamondbacks, Rockies, Mariners, and California based teams will not cede their markets to Las Vegas.

You can prove to me Las Vegas is a TV market, but Chicago is still a much better market.

Edited by Sox-35th

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 12, 2017 -> 06:48 PM)
I doubt tourists go. Way more to do in Vegas.

Hmm, I don't know. I'm already excited to do a 2-3 day trip to Vegas around a Blackhawks swing through Vegas next season. I would bet you'll get some of that from all teams/cities. Whether it's a lot or a small amount remains to be seen.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 12, 2017 -> 05:48 PM)

Trust me, tourists use all kinds of things as excuses to come here, and then plan around those things.

The question is more about is there enough population to support 81 games @30k?

Not sure about that.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Mar 12, 2017 -> 06:38 PM)
Spoken like someone who doesn't know how TV markets work. The Diamondbacks, Rockies, Mariners, and California based teams will not cede their markets to Las Vegas.

You can prove to me Las Vegas is a TV market, but Chicago is still a much better market.

Actually, I'm blacked out from a lot of those markets. But you know everything, so...

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 12, 2017 -> 07:48 PM)

Plus Vegas and Nevada in general are a highly transient locations. I don't know many people that abandon their childhood allegiances if they move to a different state to start rooting for a hometown team. At least I wouldn't.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 12, 2017 -> 09:30 PM)
Actually, I'm blacked out from a lot of those markets. But you know everything, so...

You completely missed his point. He's saying a Las Vegas team won't be able to get a regional TV deal that covers Northern AZ, UT, ID, OR, & Inland CA because those areas are already part of other teams' existing territories. The fact you are blacked out of six different teams' markets only supports his point and shows how little value broadcast rights would be for a MLB team in Las Vegas.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 12, 2017 -> 08:32 PM)
You completely missed his point. He's saying a Las Vegas team won't be able to get a regional TV deal that covers Northern AZ, UT, ID, OR, & Inland CA because those areas are already part of other teams' existing territories. The fact you are blacked out of six different teams' markets only supports his point and shows how little value broadcast rights would be for a MLB team in Las Vegas.

You are suggesting the TV rights wouldn't change if there was an actual team in Las Vegas?

Vegas gets claimed by other markets because there is no team here.

I'm not sure how one can appropriately value a Vegas baseball television market without the presence of an actual team? Nor would I suspect that the fact that other teams claim it as a market shows any pertinent information on value to that effect.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Mar 12, 2017 -> 08:27 PM)
Plus Vegas and Nevada in general are a highly transient locations. I don't know many people that abandon their childhood allegiances if they move to a different state to start rooting for a hometown team. At least I wouldn't.

I wouldn't, but there is a much larger population of "natives" that are born and bred here. It's not the same as it was in 1995.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 07:33 AM)
Nothing screams baseball like 110 degree days in the desert. Dome or not, summer is also the worst time of year for tourism there because of that weather.

This is probably the biggest obstacle, although it's not as quiet here in the summer as you'd think.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 09:31 AM)
You are suggesting the TV rights wouldn't change if there was an actual team in Las Vegas?

I'm not sure how one can appropriately value a Vegas baseball television market without the presence of an actual team? Nor would I suspect that the fact that other teams claim it as a market shows any pertinent information on value to that effect.

TV markets do change as a part of a relocation like that, however the relocation would probably meet heavy resistance from all the markets I listed AND the markets in the AL Central. You're talking about up to 10 owners being anti-move for the White Sox.

This isn't directed at iamshack (he asked a fair question), but I hate these discussions. The White Sox aren't going anywhere for a long time. They're not even close to the top candidate for relocation.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 09:31 AM)

Washington didn't have a team. I think they are still battling it out with the Orioles. Teams don't give up their territories very easily.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 09:44 AM)
Washington didn't have a team. I think they are still battling it out with the Orioles. Teams don't give up their territories very easily.

Oakland basically gave up moving to San Jose over the territorial rights to it belonging to San Francisco.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 07:43 AM)
TV markets do change as a part of a relocation like that, however the relocation would probably meet heavy resistance from all the markets I listed AND the markets in the AL Central. You're talking about up to 10 owners being anti-move for the White Sox.

This isn't directed at iamshack (he asked a fair question), but I hate these discussions. The White Sox aren't going anywhere for a long time. They're not even close to the top candidate for relocation.

I agree with you; but interestingly, a Vegas has been suggested as a landing spot for the White Sox more than once now.

One point about the Nationals, A's, etc, it is one thing to fight over a major metropolitan market like Baltimore/DC or San Fran/Oakland, it's quite another for teams hundreds of miles away to make a claim for a market. I suspect sorting out a Vegas TV market would be much more clear than some of the other examples offered.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 10:03 AM)
I agree with you; but interestingly, a Vegas has been suggested as a landing spot for the White Sox more than once now.

One point about the Nationals, A's, etc, it is one thing to fight over a major metropolitan market like Baltimore/DC or San Fran/Oakland, it's quite another for teams hundreds of miles away to make a claim for a market. I suspect sorting out a Vegas TV market would be much more clear than some of the other examples offered.

If I were an owner, I'd be looking at a more stable and established market. Take a place like San Antonio with twice the population. We know they support the Spurs very well.

At the very least, I would be waiting to see what the hockey franchise looks like after say 5 or 10 years.

The average baseball fan is like in their 50s. I wouldn't make the bet that baseball will find great success in an emerging market. The 80+ home games in 40k capacity stadiums are not like filling up 40+ home games in 20k capacity stadiums, all on weeknights or weekend nights.

I just jumped in this thread and I see the epic stupidity of "will the sox move? And where?" All over it.

Face facts:

The

White

Sox

Will

NEVER

EVER

EVER

leave

Chicago

They are two years from a franchise altering tv deal and still have 13 years to go in an ironclad lease that favors the sox very well. Anyone who thinks that they are leavin this market has serious head trauma or an idiot.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 05:14 PM)
I look at it this way....in 13-14 years when the lease is up, you never know what the landscape of the world and MLB will be. Nothing is impossible, but for now, enjoy the rebuild and hope the Sox are the team of the 2020's.

Unless Chicago has turned into Gary, I can't see it.