New Beer at The Rate

TheTruth05

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Mar 11, 2017 -> 10:25 AM)
And they are going all in on craft beer. They are doing something. No local team is doing. I actually think this is a smart move.

It's only a 3 year deal, so hopefully they are in a spot where sponsors want to join in by 2020, the first year of the new tv deal.

Losing somewhere between $7-$10 million dollars a year from Miller Beer advertising can't be a good thing or a smart move.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Mar 11, 2017 -> 11:01 AM)
Losing somewhere between $7-$10 million dollars a year from Miller Beer advertising can't be a good thing or a smart move.

Seems miller was low balling them. The calculated risk Is that a short term deal may net them a bigger deal down the line. AND they have an opportunity to grow the Latin fan base at the same time.

I know craft drinkers are happy with this as more taps will be formloxal and regional brands.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Mar 11, 2017 -> 11:13 AM)
Seems miller was low balling them. The calculated risk Is that a short term deal may net them a bigger deal down the line. AND they have an opportunity to grow the Latin fan base at the same time.

I know craft drinkers are happy with this as more taps will be formloxal and regional brands.

The problem is the vast majority of fans still prefer a standard light beer. Glad they're expanding the craft beer selection and I'll dabble here and there, but my go to has always been Miller Lite at a Sox game. I've been drinking four or five a game for the last 12 years or so. For me, this change sucks balls because Bud Light is f***ing disgusting. And based on it's popularity in Chicago, most Sox fans probably agree. I think the common Sox fan will not be happy about this.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Mar 11, 2017 -> 09:03 AM)
The inability to re-up with Miller is a downstream impact of the continuing bottom-of-the-barrel attendance and TV ratings. The bottom-of-the-barrel attendance and TV ratings are the downstream impacts of the continuing losing by the teams brought to the fan base by Team Reinsdorf, Williams, & Hahn, with over a decade's worth of futility currently underway. Simple cases of cause and effect.

The franchise in many ways has bottomed out, and now all that's left for Jerry, Kenny, & Rick to do in the waning years of the Reinsdorf ownership is to go through this rebuild business, and hope to dig the team out of the hole they dug for it. Do so in a way that they might still be able to enjoy whatever success emerges at the end of the rebuild, before it's finally "Bye! Bye!" to all three sometime in the near future once a new owner is in place.

When you say that the franchise has bottomed out, I wish I could agree with you but I can't. One of my friends that works for the White Sox has told me that the team has a base attendance of 1.1 million.He doesn't think the team will ever draw less than that amount. If this team is as bad as I think it is AND if the 2018 White Sox are even worse than the 2017 White Sox I can see the franchise returning to the days of 1966-1971 when the team drew less than 1 million per year. Hope I'm wrong but I don't think I am.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Mar 11, 2017 -> 11:13 AM)

There was already craft beer all over the park.

After too busy of an offseason to pay much attention I return and after scanning the thread headlines decided this was the most interesting news. Because if the product on the field is bad, at least the products off the field better be good.

I'm a Negra Modelo fan, so I am happy with this plan. But it doesn't make sense to me to get rid of the lowest common denominator.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Mar 11, 2017 -> 12:01 PM)

Unless the replacements offer something close to that.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Mar 11, 2017 -> 03:22 PM)
When you say that the franchise has bottomed out, I wish I could agree with you but I can't. One of my friends that works for the White Sox has told me that the team has a base attendance of 1.1 million.He doesn't think the team will ever draw less than that amount. If this team is as bad as I think it is AND if the 2018 White Sox are even worse than the 2017 White Sox I can see the franchise returning to the days of 1966-1971 when the team drew less than 1 million per year. Hope I'm wrong but I don't think I am.

Are you on smack? They haven't dipped below 1.5 million in 20'years. And opening day plus the Cubs and buehrle games will be 160k right there.sox ticket and marketing programs also take advantage of those indemand games and use them to boost season and group sales. I doubt they ever average 15k a night again.

lol...geezus...beer snobs at a baseball game....mkay. Honestly...I couldn't give two craps what a venue has for the beers when I get there as long as it's COLD! Bud Light...Lite...Coors Light...bfd...you're there to watch baseball...not lift your little pinky fingers while you watch as you sip beer out of your Solo plastic cup and swoosh it around your palette to right a review!

QUOTE (Wanne @ Mar 12, 2017 -> 11:03 PM)
lol...geezus...beer snobs at a baseball game....mkay. Honestly...I couldn't give two craps what a venue has for the beers when I get there as long as it's COLD! Bud Light...Lite...Coors Light...bfd...you're there to watch baseball...not lift your little pinky fingers while you watch as you sip beer out of your Solo plastic cup and swoosh it around your palette to right a review!

I don't pick a venue based on the food or beverages, but I enjoy an event if they have the beverages and food I like. And that is the trend in stadiums.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Tex @ Mar 14, 2017 -> 08:48 AM)
I don't pick a venue based on the food or beverages, but I enjoy an event if they have the beverages and food I like. And that is the trend in stadiums.

Get this reasonable and sensible take OUTTA HERE

QUOTE (Wanne @ Mar 12, 2017 -> 11:03 PM)

write*

last paragraph from the article:

"Other mega-brewer domestic labels will still be available at the ballpark this season. Budweiser and Bud Light will be served, along with Old Style and even some Miller Lite, despite the team's split with MillerCoors. So-called "pouring rights" at stadiums are separate from marketing deals, as brewers cannot pay to be the only beer served at the ballpark."

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/201...se-island-pabst

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 01:11 PM)
Budweiser is f***ing garbage. Another bad decision by Sox brass.

Luckily they'll have about 100 other beers for you to chose from. They still should have a couple Miller/Coors taps there, you'll just have to find them. SouthWallace beat me to it.

Edited by Sleepy Harold