3/10 game thread

QUOTE (hi8is @ Mar 10, 2017 -> 09:31 PM)
Why the f*** would we trade Burdi?

Because they have no need for a closer for 2/3 more years and the shelf life of closers is notoriously short.

I'm sure they won't trade him, but I think they should consider it

Edited by GreenSox

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 10, 2017 -> 07:35 PM)
Literally everyone forgets about Q until they see the stats. He's just one of those guys. I've won many a dollar in bets comparing his stats to well know aces.

And considering he pitches a lot of games in a hitters pall bark and in the the league with the DH he's been pretty stingy with the HR balls a few years. But we know all these things about him and as you said in so many words, Q is just an under the radar guy to even some very knowledgeable baseball fans and even baseball analysts like Smoltz.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 10, 2017 -> 09:43 PM)
Because they have no need for a closer for 2/3 more years and the shelf life of closers is notoriously short.

Cost controlled late inning guys don't grow on trees. He's young enough that they may need him when they get better.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 10, 2017 -> 07:43 PM)

He can be a valuable member of the pen until 2022. If a deal akin to the Cueto / Hamelton deal came along, then sure. That said, he's one of the least likely players we trade.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Mar 10, 2017 -> 09:41 PM)
I've read muy quotes from Sox brass and Burdi himself that make him out to be a reliever. Couple that with his use this spring and the path is pretty clear.

For now but you never know. He's a pretty picture perfect 8 or 9th inning guy. Great stuff, weird arm angle and delivery. Good makeup.

Also he wants to be here. He's a real good kid.

You don't trade Burdi until he's succeeded as closer for at least one year.

See the Addison Reed and Santos deals (that both sucked).

All things considered, the biggest value is in that second and third year before arbitration hits...but trading him in 2017 would be completely illogical.

Of course, we also have to consider that Lopez and Fulmer also might end up in the pen eventually. There are plenty of candidates for future Sox closer. Kopech would be another if he suffers some injuries throwing at that sustained velocity as a starter.

As far as desperation to have a closer, we always point to Takatsu, Hermanson and Jenks all taking the ball in the 9th in 2005.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 10, 2017 -> 10:52 PM)
Missing the following steps...

- Shingo flames out

- Mark Buehrle unretires

- Shotguns beer

- Becomes WS closer

-Pitches like he might have accidentally left the stove on and has to get back ASAP to make sure his house doesn't burn down

-2 hour baseball games

My son was a bat boy for the Brewers today. He said everyone in the dugout called Lopez nasty- he blew Braun away on three pitches during Braun's 1st AB I believe. My son said Braun said to him as he was in the hole awaiting his 2nd AB, something along the lines of, "the way he's throwing I'm just going to have to hope he misses off-speed and find a way to get on base." Braun walked after a great AB.

Lopez was absolutely dominant today.

QUOTE (rockren @ Mar 10, 2017 -> 10:06 PM)
My son was a bat boy for the Brewers today. He said everyone in the dugout called Lopez nasty- he blew Braun away on three pitches during Braun's 1st AB I believe. My son said Braun said to him as he was in the hole awaiting his 2nd AB, something along the lines of, "the way he's throwing I'm just going to have to hope he misses off-speed and find a way to get on base." Braun walked after a great AB.

Lopez was absolutely dominant today.

Good posts here and in the other thread. Thanks for sharing and congrats to your family on the memorable experiences!

QUOTE (hi8is @ Mar 11, 2017 -> 01:09 AM)
Good posts here and in the other thread. Thanks for sharing and congrats to your family on the memorable experiences!

Thanks! It was pretty great. Brewers are always first rate when we're around- my son said Braun was easily the most social with him. He walked by Frazier in the tunnel and Frazier said hi to him and asked him how he was. He said Frazier talked to a Brewers rep and said that they have been getting their asses worked off this Spring.

Frazier & Anderson were very social with fans today. Moncada apologized to fans saying he didn't have time to sign, but was nice. Abreu (just like last spring) was rude and blew everyone off.

QUOTE (rockren @ Mar 10, 2017 -> 10:16 PM)
Abreu (just like last spring) was rude and blew everyone off.

Wow! I'm beyond shocked to read this. I had always pegged him like Frank... willing to sign for hours.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 10, 2017 -> 10:52 PM)
You don't trade Burdi until he's succeeded as closer for at least one year.

See the Addison Reed and Santos deals (that both sucked).

All things considered, the biggest value is in that second and third year before arbitration hits...but trading him in 2017 would be completely illogical.

Like I said, relievers often don't long; could expire by the time the Sox need him.

moving Reed absolutely was the right thing to do. They probably missed on Davidson, although I hope he gets a lot of playing time this year (which would require Frazier to be moved, which should happen). Williams gave Santos to the Jays, similar to E Jackson. Williams was not at his best in his later years as GM.

Absolutely love the things I've been reading about Lopez's outing Friday. Pretty high praise coming from Braun. Well done Reynaldo!

As for Q in the WBC. Maybe the rest of the baseball world has finally awoke from its slumber to realize Q really is good enough to be called an Ace.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Mar 11, 2017 -> 01:45 AM)
Wow! I'm beyond shocked to read this. I had always pegged him like Frank... willing to sign for hours.

Maybe we just caught him on bad days the past few seasons- I have heard good things too.

We'll see Sunday...when we're in Camelback to watch Kopech!

QUOTE (rockren @ Mar 11, 2017 -> 07:43 AM)
Maybe we just caught him on bad days the past few seasons- I have heard good things too.

We'll see Sunday...when we're in Camelback to watch Kopech!

Nice! We'll be looking forward to your notes on him. :cheers: