Hawk reducing games in 2017 - offers to step away from PBP after 2017

Sleepy Harold

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 17, 2017 -> 09:43 AM)
It wasn't a question, but we're on the same page regardless.

Ok.

Let's take it step by step

I was responding to the fact that the Sox will lose 100 games in 2018. I said the trades would look awful if they lose 100 games in 2018.

He responded by saying they will lose 100 without Q, Frazier , Robertson et al.

My response was that with the players they acquired, they trades would look awful because the players they acquired should be contributing.

To which you responded that you didn't think some of the lesser players would be ready.

Hence, I wasn't implying you asked a question but it was from the conversation with the other poster.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 17, 2017 -> 10:01 AM)
I mean, I'm an older guy too (relative to most of the board anyway, I assume). I like explanations, and some stories sprinkled in. But he doesn't really explain things, he just tells a lot of stories.

I am not saying I want super-dry either. I will probably get crucified for this, but I really like the Cubs TV team. They are entertaining, have fun, but deliver good info and are open to all manner of angles. They incorporate advanced stats, but aren't dry. It is possible to do both.

I agree you can do both but it is difficult and most can't do it without sounding condescending.

The Cubs broadcast can be good. But then Len starts into his "I don't know how many times I can explain these numbers and why people refuse to listen to it" spiel. I get what he's doing but just explain what you want and move on. He's like the post game host who needs to constantly prove a point.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 17, 2017 -> 11:40 AM)
While I can appreciate his Sox homerism, I grew tired of his constant complaining about the umps years ago. He's the biggest reason I listen to the radio while watching the TV on mute. I wish him nothing but the best but IMHO it's time to move on.

I dislike the Farmer/DJ combo a lot more than Benetti. Farmer seems so monotonous and DJ is just boring.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 17, 2017 -> 12:05 PM)
I dislike the Farmer/DJ combo a lot more than Benetti. Farmer seems so monotonous and DJ is just boring.

I think what this thread proves is a team's PBP guy, with a few exceptions, is pretty much like the President. Half love them, half hate them.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 17, 2017 -> 12:08 PM)
I think what this thread proves is a team's PBP guy, with a few exceptions, is pretty much like the President. Half love them, half hate them.

Agreed. I know I'm in the minority regarding my favorable view of Hawk, but his emotion and excitement in the booth when the team is doing well is so fun to listen to...as is his rants and sadness when the team isn't doing well. Benetti just isn't like that. You can't tell if the Sox are up 10-0 or down 10-0 on any particular night when he's announcing. It's the same corny jokes and dime a dozen announcing that any other team has. Hawk is unique and I love him for that very reason despite his flaws.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 17, 2017 -> 12:08 PM)

I think 10-15 years ago a lot more people liked him. It says a lot that he has long overstayed his welcome and yet garners the support he does.

Ha ha. The way you feel about DJ and Farmer is how I feel about Hawk and Benetti. I do miss Stone's commentary but I just can't bare the sound of Hawk and Benetti anymore so I go with Farmer and DJ. I do miss Farmer and Stone together on the radio, they were fun to listen to.

I like their bit. They play off each other in a fun way. It's tough on radio when you don't have the visual to reply upon.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 17, 2017 -> 12:12 PM)
Agreed. I know I'm in the minority regarding my favorable view of Hawk, but his emotion and excitement in the booth when the team is doing well is so fun to listen to...as is his rants and sadness when the team isn't doing well. Benetti just isn't like that. You can't tell if the Sox are up 10-0 or down 10-0 on any particular night when he's announcing. It's the same corny jokes and dime a dozen announcing that any other team has. Hawk is unique and I love him for that very reason despite his flaws.

This is how I feel. I am bored out of my mind listening to Benetti. And another perspective is my son is 10 years old and we live down in NC. We watch the Sox on MLB app and he is so much more into the game when Hawk is announcing. He will rewind the game when the Sox hit a home run and do the call along with Hawk. "You can put it on the board!!!! Yes" Give me an announcer who brings something unique to the booth not some canned, boring TV voice like Joe Buck or Benetti. Hawk is our Harry Carey.

I'll be sad when Hawk goes, but his eyesight in particular has gotten poor. I'm a big Hawk fan, but when he clearly can't see things it makes me feel bad for him and I don't really want to feel bad for him while I'm watching a baseball game. I do worry that I'll never get to have a broadcaster who gets excited when the Sox do well again. I don't live around Sox fans so it's nice to have a fellow Sox partisan in the booth.

Regardless of the PBP guy, I can't stand Steve. I know he's Mr. Straight-Laced, Prestigious Color Guy, but his arrogance rubs me the wrong way.

Most baseball fans in Chicago who dislike or even hate Hawk are Cubs fans, and that is the way it has always been.

I hope the Sox find another play-by-play announcer who is as talented as Hawk, someone whose love of the sport and enthusiasm for the team and the players is apparent in what he says and how he says it.

Meanwhile Bennetti was announcing a basketball game yesterday. Nice kid, but kind of creepy and way too candy@ss for most Southsiders. We need another alpha male to take Hawk's place when he decides to retire and a color commentator that makes fans laugh and enjoy watching the broadcast. Bennetti and Stone try to come off like baseball's version of the Smother's Brothers. It just doesn't work.

How can anybody who professes to be a Sox fan criticize Hawk Harrelson?? He is an icon and I want him in the booth. HOWEVER I can see why he isn't up for the rebuild. Only doing road games is ridiculous. All the Sox do on the road is lose, lose, lose. And Hawk's schtick is being a homer.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Mar 18, 2017 -> 01:45 AM)
Most baseball fans in Chicago who dislike or even hate Hawk are Cubs fans, and that is the way it has always been.

I hope the Sox find another play-by-play announcer who is as talented as Hawk, someone whose love of the sport and enthusiasm for the team and the players is apparent in what he says and how he says it.

Meanwhile Bennetti was announcing a basketball game yesterday. Nice kid, but kind of creepy and way too candy@ss for most Southsiders. We need another alpha male to take Hawk's place when he decides to retire and a color commentator that makes fans laugh and enjoy watching the broadcast. Bennetti and Stone try to come off like baseball's version of the Smother's Brothers. It just doesn't work.

wot

certainly a polarizing figure, but I absolutely love hawk. I understand the argument for people who don't like him. For me, I'm 32 and have never had another white sox voice. I certainly love the statistical analysis in modern day baseball, but one of the truly unique aspects of baseball, in my opinion, is the old school romanticism of the game. I love the emotion, I love the absurd folklore and tall tales of Steve Dalkowski throwing near 110, I love calling out umpires, i love the homerism, and I love that he loves the white sox. Its such a breath of fresh of air from so many other bland announcers. Yes his stories about people like Yaz may drive you nuts, but it also lets you see a personal side of the game and you end up learning little nuggets of the games past you never would have been able to appreciate otherwise. It will be a sad day for me when he finally drops the mic

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 18, 2017 -> 01:01 AM)
How can anybody who professes to be a Sox fan criticize Hawk Harrelson?? He is an icon and I want him in the booth. HOWEVER I can see why he isn't up for the rebuild. Only doing road games is ridiculous. All the Sox do on the road is lose, lose, lose. And Hawk's schtick is being a homer.

Doing road games only was Hawk's choice though.....

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Mar 18, 2017 -> 12:45 AM)

They have an announcer that's more talented than Hawk already. His name is Jason Benetti. Is creepy and candy ass referring to his cerebral palsy?