Tim Anderson signs 6 year extension

Tony

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 20, 2017 -> 07:23 PM)
When did Sale sign extension? He may have been 2012 but for most part the early lockups seemed like a Hahn thing. I don't recall them under Kenny except Santos?

Hahn was doing contracts for the Sox well before he was named official GM, so not sure that exercise is that valuable.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 20, 2017 -> 07:36 PM)
Hahn was doing contracts for the Sox well before he was named official GM, so not sure that exercise is that valuable.

He may have been executing the contracts but it doesn't mean he made the decisions to offer and execute them.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Mar 20, 2017 -> 05:04 PM)
And there is a 0% chance the Sox could have acquired Lopez, Giolitto, and Dane Dunning for Eaton if he wasn't signed to such a team friendly contract.

Yep. And let's just say shot in the dark sox get a young SS they like (Gleyber Torres for example) and view him as the SS of the future cause of better upside. Sox can deal Tim if they feel they can get an Eaton type deal in the future or if they're weak at a premium position of need to make a playoff run. It's a win-win. Tim has a baby girl now too. I'm sure he wants to have his family set right now.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 20, 2017 -> 08:28 PM)
Yep. And let's just say shot in the dark sox get a young SS they like (Gleyber Torres for example) and view him as the SS of the future cause of better upside. Sox can deal Tim if they feel they can get an Eaton type deal in the future or if they're weak at a premium position of need to make a playoff run. It's a win-win. Tim has a baby girl now too. I'm sure he wants to have his family set right now.

He doesn't have to play SS either. A good defensive shortstop usually makes for a great defensive 2B or 3B, and Moncada can play CF or 3B too.

Lots of ways to go about it.

I was blown away by TA's defense last year. I had no idea that was coming based on the years of brief scouting reports etc. He can make the plays most guys can't so that kind of makes a deal a no-brainer for me. I look forward to a huge dWAR contribution from him this year.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 20, 2017 -> 05:59 PM)
What's the downside though? We basically have no financial commitments after the 2018 season. We can afford a small miss if things were to go south. And honestly, with his defense alone, I don't think there's a contract we could sign him to right now that we wouldn't be able to move down the road at the very least. Again, I don't really see much risk here, but tons and tons of upside.

That's just it. The end of the contract and the most expensive years will be option years. The most expensive years won't put this team too far behind anyway, even if he bombs. Some of the money gets moved forward to early in the deal so that he gets some money early when the Sox aren't spending anything anyway.

One more thing to note here... Look who got the scoop for this story. How many stories did he have about who was interested in White Sox players this winter? just sayin.

Bob Nightengale‏Verified account @BNightengale 2m2 minutes ago

Chicago #WhiteSox sign shortstop Tim Anderson to record six-year, $25 million contract

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2...nsion/99441684/

QUOTE (Butter Parque @ Mar 20, 2017 -> 05:10 PM)
I like Timmy Anderson, but anyone who says that they feel better about him than they did about Beckham after his rookie year is lying. I remember everyone on this board creaming in their jeans when Harold Reynolds listed him as a future HOF'er during Spring Training that next year.

Anderson is more athletic than Beckham was, has shown the ability to play plus defense at SS, and is much faster

If he can improve his K% rate and improve his walk rate a bit, he will really be able to put his plus speed to use

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 08:08 AM)
I'm kinda confused until we know how much additional control we have.

2 option years. So we gained 2 years of control plus we keep his arbitration numbers low. If he ends up sucking, it's not a lot of money and his defense alone should make him valuable.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 08:08 AM)
I'm kinda confused until we know how much additional control we have.

I'm thinking the Sox need to have a few club option years attached to have this deal make sense?

If not, I'm not sure how this will work in the Sox favor?

I'm guessing it is 6 years, $25 million guaranteed with 2 years of club options afterwards at a reasonable sum of money

Sox likely control him via options for upto 8 years

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 08:11 AM)
I'm thinking the Sox need to have a few club option years attached to have this deal make sense?

If not, I'm not sure how this will work in the Sox favor?

I'm guessing it is 6 years, $25 million guaranteed with 2 years of club options afterwards at a reasonable sum of money

Sox likely control him via options for upto 8 years

How/why are you guessing when it's already been posted multiple times above?

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 08:10 AM)
2 years past free agency.

"Anderson, the cornerstone of the White Sox’s future, will earn $850,000 this year, and could be tied up to the White Sox through the age of 31. The White Sox also have two club options on Anderson’s service, buying out all of his arbitration years and two years of free agency."

Exactly what I thought would happen

6 year deal, with the Sox gaining two years of club options afterwards

If Anderson gets anywhere close to his ceiling this is a great deal. His floor as a speedy, good defensive SS limits the risk here

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 06:50 AM)
6 years plus options, it's official

Awesome.

Sale signed his extension in March of 2013. It guaranteed him 5 years and $32.5 million, buying out one year of free agency for $12 million. And the team holding options on 2 more years of what would have been free agency for $26 million total.

Quintana signed his extension in March of 2014. It guaranteed him 5 years $26.5 million (due to being arbitration eligible following 2014). The team then holds options for his 1st 2 years of what would have been free agency for $22 million.

Eaton signed his extension in March of 2015. It guaranteed him 5 years and $23.5 million. The deal bought out what would have been his 1st year of free agency for $8.4 million and then gave the team 2 options for $20 million.

I assume Anderson's 6 year deal will have 2 club options attached to it.