Tim Anderson signs 6 year extension

Tony

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 08:50 AM)
Wow, could be a steal, could be a mistake. We have no idea.

If he is as good as we think he is, it will be an amazing deal.

It's a steal. The mistake would be so small by comparison. Great signing. It's not an expensive contract.

This is why Rick Hahn is our GM

Edited by Sox-35th

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 09:15 AM)
It's not really comparable to James Shields. 2.5 years isn't the same as 6.

Honestly, if he plays great d at short, it still may not even be bad.

With interest rates where they are, although they are rising slightly, money over 4 years doesn't appreciate that much. It's not much different especially now when the Sox payroll isn't going to be anywhere near maxed.

And while if he plays good defense is a valid point, he will have to hit some. I do like his chances, but there are some red flags. The thing is he hasn't really played all that much baseball relative to other MLB players his age.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 08:52 AM)
Its been a while so i forgot. He was one that put a lot out there right? Didnt he have the three team deal scoop until it fell apart?

Nightengale has pimped Q harder than anyone not named Rick Hahn this winter. I don't think his getting this story first isn't an accident.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 09:27 AM)
I seriously wonder how agents let Rick Hahn walk all over their guys. Hahn basically says "Don't bet on yourself, take money"

It's 6 years. For every guy that makes it look like the Sox walked all over them, there's 15 Gordon Beckhams or Brett Lawries. Anderson has a young family. He is no lock. Now he's set for life. Pretty easy to see why they would take it. Besides, it isn't like it is that much more he is leaving on the table. He's not even eligible for arb yet. The option years are where he really loses money if he's a star, and he still would get 8 figures a year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 09:23 AM)
With interest rates where they are, although they are rising slightly, money over 4 years doesn't appreciate that much. It's not much different especially now when the Sox payroll isn't going to be anywhere near maxed.

And while if he plays good defense is a valid point, he will have to hit some. I do like his chances, but there are some red flags. The thing is he hasn't really played all that much baseball relative to other MLB players his age.

But baseball salaries and revenues aren't growing at CPI. 6 years ago we signed Dunn for a huge 56 mill contract at 12 million per. 6 years later the 3 for 60 for EE was seen as a huge discount and a sign of that market cratering.

If anderson fails, even with this contract it won't be much harder to workaround than Jeff Keppingers.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 09:32 AM)
It's 6 years. For every guy that makes it look like the Sox walked all over them, there's 15 Gordon Beckhams or Brett Lawries. Anderson has a young family. He is no lock. Now he's set for life. Pretty easy to see why they would take it. Besides, it isn't like it is that much more he is leaving on the table. He's not even eligible for arb yet. The option years are where he really loses money if he's a star, and he still would get 8 figures a year.

In the front, he gets more money. He is getting 850k now, when he would probably bring in 525k or so. My guess is that the next couple of years are in the million dollar or slightly over range. Typically a guy doesn't get into that area until year 3.

If I had to put it together, I'd say the six years look like this.

1.15m

2m

3m

6m

10.5m

$1.5m buyout

Options look like $12m, $14m.

Again, total guesses.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 09:32 AM)

Even if he busts, that's not a lot of money.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 09:49 AM)
Just like the Astros GM walked all over Jon Singelton

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/astros-r...ecedented-deal/

It's still not a big deal.

Edited by Sox-35th

I seriously wonder how agents let Rick Hahn walk all over their guys. Hahn basically says "Don't bet on yourself, take money"

I think you're underestimating how important being set for life is. I'm surprised more teams don't take this approach.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 09:52 AM)
Even if he busts, that's not a lot of money.

It's still not a big deal.

For Tim Anderson it is a lot of money. Especially if he gets a serious injury or suddenly becomes bad at baseball, which happens to the best of prospects. Had Gordon Beckham been given the same deal at the same age, he would be $12 million richer right now. You are just acting like these deals do nothing for the player.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 09:55 AM)
For Tim Anderson it is a lot of money. Especially if he gets a serious injury or suddenly becomes bad at baseball, which happens to the best of prospects. Had Gordon Beckham been given the same deal at the same age, he would be $12 million richer right now. You are just acting like these deals do nothing for the player.

He's not referring to the deal from Tim Anderson's perspective. From the team's perspective, it isn't a lot of money if he ends up sucking or is mediocre.

Edited by soxfan2014

Guys, he wasn't going to be a free agent until 2023. He sacrifices a bit of upside for more immediate guaranteed money, and his two option years are still a lot of money.

Time value of money plays a big role in this stuff as well. $50ish million in your hands before 2024 might end up having more present value than a giant contract from 2023 onwards anyways.

Could it end up being a bargain for the Sox? 100%. But there's a lot more win-win to these deals than the average fan gives credence to.

Edited by Username

I like the deal. There is going to be some downside risk in the last guaranteed year or two, but the upside far outweighs the downside.

The thing that worries me about these types of deals, and even moreso with a guy like Anderson who hasn't even accrued a full year of service time, is what it does to them mentally. Anderson now knows how much money he is going to make the next 6 years of his life, no matter how well or poor he performs on the field. It is certainly conceivable that some players may lose some their drive to become the best player they can be, since they're making the same amount of money no matter what happens. Hahn has a pretty great track record with these types of extensions, and obviously the Sox know Tim Anderson far better than anyone posting here, so I trust that they think Timmy will be determined no matter what. But it is always something to consider. It is only human nature to work harder when you know there is significant benefits in doing so.

Hahn isn't walking all over anyone, this can easily end up being a Jonathan Singleton deal. Anderson gets a nice guarantee that pays him well above what he would make in his pre-arb years and trades that for a little less down the road.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 09:57 AM)
This isn't aimed at you littlehurt but holy damn I'm tired of hearing about Gordon Beckham every time Anderson is talked about.

Ha. Unfortunately Beckham is the only other hitting prospect the Sox have had in like 10 years, so what can you do?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 10:09 AM)
Ha. Unfortunately Beckham is the only other hitting prospect the Sox have had in like 10 years, so what can you do?

Exactly. Not hard to see where the similarities come from. A guy who who was highly touted who came up around mid-season and hit well.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 10:14 AM)
I imagine Hahn probably turns to Rodon next, but those conversations probably won't go anywhere. Really good move by Hahn to get some financial certainty going forward, which will help the team manage payroll going forward.

I imagine he's already tried.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 10:14 AM)
I imagine Hahn probably turns to Rodon next, but those conversations probably won't go anywhere. Really good move by Hahn to get some financial certainty going forward, which will help the team manage payroll going forward.

There is also a marketing element to this. The Sox want to keep their fans excited during what should be a somewhat painful rebuilding process and locking up a promising young talent helps build some goodwill. Perhaps this move is a year early, but the downside risk is so low that it's worth maintaining some positive momentum with the fans. This another reason why I fully expect us to land Luis Robert if he's declared in this free agent period. Hahn will want some to show some early signs of progress before the second half of this rebuild takes shape in June & July.