Tim Anderson signs 6 year extension

Tony

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 10:04 AM)
I like the deal. There is going to be some downside risk in the last guaranteed year or two, but the upside far outweighs the downside.

The thing that worries me about these types of deals, and even moreso with a guy like Anderson who hasn't even accrued a full year of service time, is what it does to them mentally. Anderson now knows how much money he is going to make the next 6 years of his life, no matter how well or poor he performs on the field. It is certainly conceivable that some players may lose some their drive to become the best player they can be, since they're making the same amount of money no matter what happens. Hahn has a pretty great track record with these types of extensions, and obviously the Sox know Tim Anderson far better than anyone posting here, so I trust that they think Timmy will be determined no matter what. But it is always something to consider. It is only human nature to work harder when you know there is significant benefits in doing so.

This is true only if money is your motivating factor. If he truly wants to be the best player he can be, just to be the best player he can be, then it won't be a factor.

Like you said, the organization knows him better than anyone so would would think that the latter situation is true.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 10:26 AM)
There is also a marketing element to this. The Sox want to keep their fans excited during what should be a somewhat painful rebuilding process and locking up a promising young talent helps build some goodwill. Perhaps this move is a year early, but the downside risk is so low that it's worth maintaining some positive momentum with the fans. This another reason why I fully expect us to land Luis Robert if he's declared in this free agent period. Hahn will want some to show some early signs of progress before the second half of this rebuild takes shape in June & July.

We have to trust ownership and Hahn to be making the smart move here

Sox genuinely approached Anderson and said they want to make him a big part of the team's future and came to a mutually beneficial agreement

$25 million over 6 seasons is peanuts in the grand scheme of things. An overpayment over what he might make in arbitration? Probably, but those two option years could be expensive

Teams are realizing that it's best to lock up a player until age 31 or so and then let them walk. We get Anderson for the prime of his career, which is gravy.

If he is even a league average starting caliber SS, this deal will look great

Love the deal, this is one of the strenghts of Hahn, its still possible to lock up Rodon 6m as a signing bonus is good but not set you up for life type of money and he still has 5 years before he is a FA i could see him dumping Boras possibly. I don't think we'll be able to lock up Yoan in a similar fashion if he delivers but that is fine provided they delay his service.

Singleton reminds me of Matt Davidson. Had a clear path to the majors, succeeding at every level. Then once he doesn't get his second MLB opportunity he just languishes in the minors and regresses, all the while reaching new heights of striking out. On the other hand, at least Davidson actually did reasonably well in the majors.

I like this move for a lot of reason but mainly I like it because in the early stages of a rebuilding situation, this kind of anoints Tim Anderson as the face of the organization going forward. Plus the guys in the minors see this and have something to work towards.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 10:26 AM)
There is also a marketing element to this. The Sox want to keep their fans excited during what should be a somewhat painful rebuilding process and locking up a promising young talent helps build some goodwill. Perhaps this move is a year early, but the downside risk is so low that it's worth maintaining some positive momentum with the fans. This another reason why I fully expect us to land Luis Robert if he's declared in this free agent period. Hahn will want some to show some early signs of progress before the second half of this rebuild takes shape in June & July.

Do you really think the Sox are the frontrunners for Robert? I'd certainly hope so but they're hard to read because the front office keeps things quiet for the most part.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 10:46 AM)
I honestly don't know how anyone couldn't like this deal from the team's perspective.

You have to love the deal from Anderson's perspective as well

Imagine you are a 23 year old kid and you just signed a deal for a guaranteed $25 million pre tax. Welcome to the 1% Tim

This is arguably even better from the player's point of view because the team is clearly invested in him moving forward and is willing to guaranty his future

Rodon would be taking a pretty big risk by not taking a deal somewhat similar because the risk of injuries for pitchers is much higher than position players. Boras might be his agent, but if a player says "I want to ensure my future...do it" there's not much stopping him. Rodon taking a hard line approach could end up costing him millions if he gets injured prior to reaching free agency. Regardless, the Sox control his right through 2022, so it's not like he is goign anywhere anytime soon.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 11:18 AM)
Do you really think the Sox are the frontrunners for Robert? I'd certainly hope so but they're hard to read because the front office keeps things quiet for the most part.

Sox have a pretty strong connection to Cuban players

Viciedo, El Duque, Contreras, Abreu, Ramirez, Moncada

I could definitely see the Sox going all in on Robert, as a high upside outfielder would look awesome in our farm system right now

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 11:28 AM)
You have to love the deal from Anderson's perspective as well

Imagine you are a 23 year old kid and you just signed a deal for a guaranteed $25 million pre tax. Welcome to the 1% Tim

This is arguably even better from the player's point of view because the team is clearly invested in him moving forward and is willing to guaranty his future

Rodon would be taking a pretty big risk by not taking a deal somewhat similar because the risk of injuries for pitchers is much higher than position players. Boras might be his agent, but if a player says "I want to ensure my future...do it" there's not much stopping him. Rodon taking a hard line approach could end up costing him millions if he gets injured prior to reaching free agency. Regardless, the Sox control his right through 2022, so it's not like he is goign anywhere anytime soon.

Agreed. It's a great deal for both sides. Anderson is financially set for life now and the Sox potentially got a steal of a deal and locked up one of their core pieces at the same time. Anderson will be in his prime for the duration of this extension so I'd have to think this deal is a win for the Sox as long as Anderson is a positive WAR player.

I love Rodon but I don't see him signing an extension here. Hope I'm wrong.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 11:33 AM)
Agreed. It's a great deal for both sides. Anderson is financially set for life now and the Sox potentially got a steal of a deal and locked up one of their core pieces at the same time. Anderson will be in his prime for the duration of this extension so I'd have to think this deal is a win for the Sox as long as Anderson is a positive WAR player.

I love Rodon but I don't see him signing an extension here. Hope I'm wrong.

Worst case, we still have Rodon under team control through the 2022 season

Players are smart to take the lesser money upfront, rather than risk injury or poor performance

The choice is his to make, but you can bet the Anderson deal has got Rodon thinking if he should do the exact same thing?

So it's 6 years 25 million? That's nothing, even if he is a bust. Hopefully he'll build on last season. He looked pretty amazing except for the penchant to swing at everything. If he doesn't learn to take a walk, does his upside look like .270 with 25 homers and 100 RBI per season? And a bad on base percentage? If he does learn to take a walk is he gonna be a HOF player?

Edited by greg775

The FO should remain as quiet on that front as possible till they have something to announce

Until he gets cleared to sign, it doesn't matter. The date when he gets cleared is absolutely vital to this process. Before June 15, he can sign for pretty much an unlimited amount of dollars, especially with a team that went over its bonus pool for this period. After June 15, certain teams pretty much lose the right to sign him, while others come back on line. On top of that, the new cap rules go into effect, so Robert's contract prospects drop off by a large amount.

At this point, there really isn't much to talk about, and won't be until he gets cleared.

This is such a steal for the Sox. They'll pay Anderson pennies on the dollar even if he's only league average.

Chicago has announced the deal and its key terms (via Dan Hayes of CSN Chicago, on Twitter). Anderson will receive successive salaries of $850K, $1MM, $1.4MM, $4MM, $7.25MM, and $9.5MM in the guaranteed years. The options are valued at $12.5MM and $14MM, with the $1MM buyout applying if the team declines in either of those years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 12:03 PM)
Until he gets cleared to sign, it doesn't matter. The date when he gets cleared is absolutely vital to this process. Before June 15, he can sign for pretty much an unlimited amount of dollars, especially with a team that went over its bonus pool for this period. After June 15, certain teams pretty much lose the right to sign him, while others come back on line. On top of that, the new cap rules go into effect, so Robert's contract prospects drop off by a large amount.

At this point, there really isn't much to talk about, and won't be until he gets cleared.

Good point.

Either way, I hope the Sox do whatever it takes to land him. I already trust Hahn in this process but adding an elite, impact talent like Robert would only further cement that.

No way. If he is cleared in this current signing period, I'll put money on the Padres.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 12:14 PM)
No way. If he is cleared in this current signing period, I'll put money on the Padres.

If cleared before June 15th then a team that has already blown through it's spending cap will likely go the extra mile to sign Robert as well

If he clears after June 15th then I could see the Sox being one of the favorites

Personally, I can the the mlb intentionally dragging its feet with this until after June 15th