POSTPONED: Opening Day Game Thread 2017

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 31, 2017 -> 10:42 AM)
If you are looking for tickets to this, stubhub has tickets as low as $15.

Wow...

I'd definitely be on board to go if it was on a Friday again. Would be a good start to a 2 and a half day weekend.

Edited by soxfan2014

I'll be there, attending my 17th straight Home Opener. The weather looks to be just as bad as last year; I'll keep my fingers crossed that the weather somehow changes. I can take the cold weather, but cold AND rain is the worst.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Mar 31, 2017 -> 07:16 PM)
Chisox are all in this season. I think we certainly can contend

Good thing the front office knows better. That being said, you tend to think the opposite of everyone here, so it's hard to tell if you're being sarcastic.

If this team wins more than 70 games, management is doing this incorrectly.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Apr 1, 2017 -> 02:44 AM)
Good thing the front office knows better. That being said, you tend to think the opposite of everyone here, so it's hard to tell if you're being sarcastic.

No way they win more than 70.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Mar 31, 2017 -> 08:44 PM)

Never forget, Renteria, who was used by the cubs for that purpose and then unceremoniously discarded, is not going to let it happen again, at least not if he has any say about it. The Sox will try to win every game they can, and they very well might improve the roster through trades and promotions from the farm system during the season.

Not sure if they will be a .500 team but I wouldn't bet against that, at least not yet. Let's wait for a few months to see how things develop.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Apr 1, 2017 -> 02:23 AM)
Never forget, Renteria, who was used by the cubs for that purpose and then unceremoniously discarded, is not going to let it happen again, at least not if he has any say about it. The Sox will try to win every game they can, and they very well might improve the roster through trades and promotions from the farm system during the season.

Not sure if they will be a .500 team but I wouldn't bet against that, at least not yet. Let's wait for a few months to see how things develop.

I don't want to tell a manager to try and lose. That's horrible for player development to tell the guys not to try too hard.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 1, 2017 -> 08:27 AM)
I don't want to tell a manager to try and lose. That's horrible for player development to tell the guys not to try too hard.

Renteria wants to win every game he can no matter what plan that the team might have. IMy own opinion is that he is a far better Manager than Ventura was. There is a little Earl Weaver in him while Ventura was always asleep at the wheel.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 1, 2017 -> 09:27 AM)

I don't expect him to try and lose. I expect him to get the most out of his players to increase the older guys' value to trade for prospects. That's how we keep the win total down.

If all goes to plan, guys like Moncada (for however long he's up), Anderson, and Rodon have solid, building block seasons, but the White Sox still are bottom five in baseball.

And as far as the Joe Maddon thing, that stuff just happens. I want to give Renteria a better shot than he got on the north side