POSTPONED: Opening Day Game Thread 2017

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 03:58 AM)
Sorry to say this but so many of you guys are SOOOOOOO cheap. Sh&t happens. You lose 20 bucks on parking sometimes. From the sounds of it some of you would only be happy if they offered you up a date with the latest Playboy centerfold as a repayment for yesterday's rainout, lol. Life isn't fair at times. Today is a new day and a White Sox winner. Edit: Does Playboy have centerfolds anymore? I digress...

I havent gone through the entirety of this thread as of yet but from most of the people that I talked to that were going were more pissed off about scheduling to coincide the game for their job and not being able to get two days off. They would have liked to know earlier yesterday that it would be postponed so that they could have made adjustments and went to todays game. A lot of people arent able to casually take off of work on a monday and tuesday.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 03:58 AM)
Sorry to say this but so many of you guys are SOOOOOOO cheap. Sh&t happens. You lose 20 bucks on parking sometimes. From the sounds of it some of you would only be happy if they offered you up a date with the latest Playboy centerfold as a repayment for yesterday's rainout, lol. Life isn't fair at times. Today is a new day and a White Sox winner. Edit: Does Playboy have centerfolds anymore? I digress...

It really could have been handled better, that is what it all comes down to. It's one thing to look at the radar and think there is a chance to get it in, but pretty much every weather prediction had zero chance of getting this game in and they still let everyone come to the park, come inside, spend money, then postponed the game. It was extremely bad optics that kicked off what is most likely to be a bad season.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 07:58 AM)
It really could have been handled better, that is what it all comes down to. It's one thing to look at the radar and think there is a chance to get it in, but pretty much every weather prediction had zero chance of getting this game in and they still let everyone come to the park, come inside, spend money, then postponed the game. It was extremely bad optics that kicked off what is most likely to be a bad season.

Exactly. If they weren't willing to play under yesterday's conditions, there was absolutely nothing in any forecast or model that would suggest they get the game in. If anything, the rain wasn't as bad as predicted. People have a right to feel snookered because they were.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 08:05 AM)
Exactly. If they weren't willing to play under yesterday's conditions, there was absolutely nothing in any forecast or model that would suggest they get the game in. If anything, the rain wasn't as bad as predicted. People have a right to feel snookered because they were.

I'm not even that upset about not being able to take today off- I'm upset that there was a big playable window from the start time-4:45 in which they could've gotten an official game in. It wasn't even raining.

The only thing I am not sure I buy is that it was a money grab. If it was would they be willing to exchange all tickets for future dates in probably the only sell out of the season? Also they are giving free parking today. Arent those usually like $20 bucks a pop? Yeah I am sure they made some money yesterday but not enough to be willing to risk a bad PR move. It seems like they got caught in between, like usual, and were unsure of how to approach this until it was too late after not making a decision.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 08:12 AM)
I'm not even that upset about not being able to take today off- I'm upset that there was a big playable window from the start time-4:45 in which they could've gotten an official game in. It wasn't even raining.

The objective is never to get an official game in, the objective when starting a game is to to play 9 innings.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 08:13 AM)
The only thing I am not sure I buy is that it was a money grab. If it was would they be willing to exchange all tickets for future dates in probably the only sell out of the season? Also they are giving free parking today. Arent those usually like $20 bucks a pop? Yeah I am sure they made some money yesterday but not enough to be willing to risk a bad PR move. It seems like they got caught in between, like usual, and were unsure of how to approach this until it was too late after not making a decision.

But they already got that ticket revenue. They are just letting fans attend a game they otherwise would not for free, which still gets them some concessions. It was totally a money grab. "Well we are paying for these people to work so may as well get what we can."

Overall it's just communication. How many people were like "hey Sox are you really going to do this?" On twitter as their account was just "parking lots are filling up for opening day!". Nothing on the delay, no real insight into what their plan was. It was like sitting in the passenger seat on a road trip with someone who doesn't know how where they are going but insists they have been there before. Except you are also soaking wet and paying 10 a beer.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 08:29 AM)
But they already got that ticket revenue. They are just letting fans attend a game they otherwise would not for free, which still gets them some concessions. It was totally a money grab. "Well we are paying for these people to work so may as well get what we can."

Yeah, if they did it for the money they completely miscalculated the PR hit they would take that would totally make it not worth the little bit of money they would make in a few hours of concessions.

The free parking is BS. It's a make up of yesterday's game. It's a fake PR move.

It's been a rain delay move of theirs for close to 20 years. They aren't going to have that many people in the ballpark too many times this year.

They won't screw around as much as they did on Monday for Wednesday's and Thursday's games. I have been a victim of this so many times before, that rain delays make me go home. It's one area I do not have any faith in the White Sox. I can't tell you how many times I have sat at the park in a rain delay waiting for well over an hour and one or 2 cases over 2 hours not for it to stop raining, but for it to start raining, and each time it was a big gate. Small gates, it gets rained out quickly.

I am sure they knew they weren't going to play when they trotted the teams out for that ridiculous ceremony with the cars. And they probably knew far sooner than that.

They played game 2 of the 2005 WS in far worse conditions.

Edited by Dick Allen

The only thing I am not sure I buy is that it was a money grab. If it was would they be willing to exchange all tickets for future dates in probably the only sell out of the season?

But it's not an exact seat exchange. Premium seats are being exchanged for regular seats. So some fans are losing even more money from it.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 09:58 AM)

Bad bad post.

s*** happens? Some people took off work and can't get off today. People on here are saying the White Sox twitter report had nothing on the delay. It didn't rain for two hours some are saying. What's up with that?? Why didn't they start the game if it wasn't raining? I'd never accuse anybody willing to go to a baseball game as being "cheap." I've read the average baseball fans is in his 50s. If true, those folks remember the day box seats were 10 bucks and beer was 2 bucks and a hot dog was 2 bucks and parking was ridiculously cheap. Is your post for real? Criticizing the fans for this one?

It was handled poorly.

My thoughts are this:

a) many people knew that the window was small and the weather didn't look good. Call that game the night before or very early morning and people don't waste a day in the cold/dampness

b) the ticket exchange thing is garbage. we're going to average like 19,000 this year. 14,000 of those will show each game. Excluding certain games is silly and poor taste. Listen, SoxTalk are some of the most rabid Sox fans out there. I spend at least 10 mins on this site each day in January even. I had no interest in going to yesterdays game. So the ones that WERE there?? Those are your lifeblood. Treat them like it. Don't cheap out and tell them that their $100 ticket they wont likely to be able to use today is only worth an A's/Sox game later this year......

c) If I'm defending the Sox, they were probably trying their hardest to get the game in to keep those die hards happy who did take the day off.. I just think although their intentions were probably in the right place that most of us probably could tell that game wasn't getting in

d) It's PR and fan relationship mess. You took your most die hard fans and gave them a miserable experience with no updates or heads up at all. I'd assume 90% of the fans there yesterday left with a bad taste in their mouth. As the Sox probably one shining moment of the year... not good.

Also this post? Bad, bad post. It made me cringe. I have been fortunate enough where I make a good living ... but if I did go yesterday with the wife it would have cost me

a) a day off

b) her day off

c) $250 for two tickets

d) Probably $75-100 in food and beer while we waited

e) $20 in parking

f) another two days off work for both of us today if I wanted to make the trip... plus more beer and food....

Add it up and the time value of money? We're talking $400 + 4 days off .... even with paid vacation those days are worth something.

I'm calling the whole two days worth like $1,000.

And for this reason? I call that a terribly ignorant post.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 5, 2017 -> 01:01 AM)
If you want to listen to Brooks about the thinking yesterday...

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/audio/670-the-score-interviews/

Thanks for the link. Well, the bottom line is everybody listened to the managers. They didn't want to risk those No. 1 pitchers getting messed with and that was that. To hell with what was a 2-hour window of dry weather. The rich ballplayer won out again it seems to me. Brooks said it himself that this isn't Little League where the kids throw 10 pitches and are ready.

Sox would have looked OK had it not been dry for 2 hours. I do think the Sox should have or still could give the fans affected a ticket to a "premium game" that's not the Buehrle game or a Cubs game. Every other game for gosh sakes will be EMPTY. There won't be 25,000 fans in that stadium for a game besides those all season.

I do respect Brooks' comments. After listening to it I believe him that they weren't trying to make peanuts (no pun intended) on concessions. But I don't agree with catering to the managers being worried about their starting pitchers. Lame. It wasn't raining. PLAY BALL!

I'll give the Sox a solid D for the handling of this Opening Day situation.

p.s. Today's pathetic crowd BTW should prove to baseball owners how times have changed. Life habits have changed and very few people were able to, or willing to, try to make arrangements to attend Tuesday's game after having made arrangements for Monday. Pathetic crowd for the first game of the year.

Edited by greg775

I know some would disagree or been inconvenienced, but the call should have been made Sunday. Bottom line, there was a terrible forecast Monday, and a good one Tuesday. That's why they have the open date. They blew it.

Now the same thing on a lesser level- they aren't playing tomorrow or Thursday. Stay ahead of it, and call both games tomorrow morning.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 5, 2017 -> 01:31 AM)
I know some would disagree or been inconvenienced, but the call should have been made Sunday. Bottom line, there was a terrible forecast Monday, and a good one Tuesday. That's why they have the open date. They blew it.

Now the same thing on a lesser level- they aren't playing tomorrow or Thursday. Stay ahead of it, and call both games tomorrow morning.

Good post. Agreed.