POSTPONED: Opening Day Game Thread 2017

QUOTE (Moncada @ Apr 3, 2017 -> 10:54 PM)
White Sox Twitter

Todays game between the White Sox and Detroit Tigers has been postponed due to rain and rescheduled for Tuesday at 1:10 p.m. CT.

I will be there behind or in front of the TV

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 3, 2017 -> 04:56 PM)
They have been making this move for years. But only when it is going to be a big crowd. If they were expecting 11k, this game would have been called by noon.

So the biggest fans who took a day off work are who they're gonna piss off? Good luck getting fans in.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 3, 2017 -> 04:56 PM)
They have been making this move for years. But only when it is going to be a big crowd. If they were expecting 11k, this game would have been called by noon.

Yep. An absolute disgrace.

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ Apr 3, 2017 -> 04:57 PM)
So the biggest fans who took a day off work are who they're gonna piss off? Good luck getting fans in.

I would imagine many of the people there today have been through this before. From my experience, as I have probably been to over 1000 White Sox games, and stay for the whole game even if it is 15-1 in the 3rd inning, rain delays are one thing Where I just leave unless they give some sort of time frame. No time frame means they are just trying to sell some concessions, ponchos, and sweatshirts.

This is not a big deal so don't consider this a serious Greg rant.

I'm just saying a lot of posters last night KNEW this game would not be played. A lot of posters suggested the game be called early in the morning Monday. WTF are the Sox thinking?

That's all. No huge deal, but yes I'd be moderately miffed if I lived in Chicago, took off work and headed to the park with family or friends. Again no big deal, but somebody needs to use common sense once in a while. I am not mean enough to think they wanted people in the park just to sell stuff.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 3, 2017 -> 05:11 PM)
Thanks white sox for downgrading my premium game seats to a non premium game seat.

"thanks for coming out for a 70 win team on opening day, here, take this other non premium voucher instead"

One thing about JR, and it makes me wonder if he's even tuned in anymore -- s*** like this didn't happen very often under his watch. He was good like that for the fans.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 3, 2017 -> 05:11 PM)
Thanks white sox for downgrading my premium game seats to a non premium game seat.

Technically your ticket is still good tomorrow and another free game, but I would imagine most of the people who took off work today won't be taking off tomorrow.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 3, 2017 -> 05:18 PM)
Technically your ticket is still good tomorrow and another free game, but I would imagine most of the people who took off work today won't be taking off tomorrow.

They could toss them up on stubhub to try to redeem some cash even.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 3, 2017 -> 04:53 PM)
Free advice for the Sox- postpone Wednesday and Thursday's games tomorrow. The Tigers come back twice. Take the 26th man and better weather in May and August.

Not even sure why the MLB does this crap. There's not enough decent climate/domed stadium teams to spread things out the first few weeks in April?...no...let's have San Diego and LA Dodger play...SF and AZ...LA Angels/A's...then have Chicago/Detroit...geezus.

Edited by Wanne

QUOTE (Wanne @ Apr 3, 2017 -> 06:42 PM)
Not even sure why the MLB does this crap. There's not enough decent climate/domed stadium teams to spread things out the first few weeks in April?...no...let's have San Diego and LA Dodger play...SF and AZ...LA Angels/A's...Chicago/Detroit...geezus.

Yea I don't get it either. I'd be fine even doing interleague, just go somewhere warmer and drier than Chicago first week of April.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 3, 2017 -> 05:43 PM)
Yea I don't get it either. I'd be fine even doing interleague, just go somewhere warmer and drier than Chicago first week of April.

I pointed this out earlier, but what's the difference between the first week of April and the second or third? Not much. It's a good thing they schedule teams that are coming back. If the Pirates got weathered out in Boston, then it would cause more problems.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 3, 2017 -> 06:47 PM)
I pointed this out earlier, but what's the difference between the first week of April and the second or third? Not much. It's a good thing they schedule teams that are coming back. If the Pirates got weathered out in Boston, then it would cause more problems.

I'm honestly surprised somebody has created and marketed a floating tarp held up by a swarm of drones for situations like this.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 3, 2017 -> 05:49 PM)
Sox fans should want the Royals to be good this season. But we also want the Twins to be slightly better than the Sox.

I want them to be good this year. They have possible rentals at the deadline.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ Apr 3, 2017 -> 04:57 PM)

I worked from 3am to 12pm to catch this game. They could've called and rescheduled it over the weekend. Inexcusable

QUOTE (Wanne @ Apr 3, 2017 -> 05:42 PM)
Not even sure why the MLB does this crap. There's not enough decent climate/domed stadium teams to spread things out the first few weeks in April?...no...let's have San Diego and LA Dodger play...SF and AZ...LA Angels/A's...then have Chicago/Detroit...geezus.

Teams want Opening Day games to capitalize on people being excited that baseball is back. 2 weeks into the season, that excitement is dead because the team is bad and those tickets never get sold.

I'll say it one more time. Looking at the forecast yesterday and this morning the weather the sox got from 3-6 today is the absolute best they could've hoped for. Yesterday storms were predicted during that slot, this morning just rain. They ended up with no rain/drizzle for 2 hours and light rain after that. If they didn't want to play in it then they should've called the game yesterday or this morning. Instead they got every fan there and got the absolute best weather they could've hoped for and still called it.

s***ty move by a s***ty organization. I'm so glad I can trade my premium ticket for a non premium ticket though.

Edit: and its not like you couldn't foresee this, at 2:30 there was barely any rain and the radar showed a huge window to get the game in.

Edited by kev211