• 76-80
    • 81-85
    • 86-90
    • 91+

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Mar 31, 2017 -> 11:12 AM)
Probably somewhere between 75 to 79 wins. I'll say 77.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but how? I think they are a bottom 5 team in league right now and haven't subtracted more yet.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Mar 31, 2017 -> 11:27 AM)
Addition by subtraction. No more Ventura for one.

You think managers matter a hell of a lot more than I do. They traded away their 2 best players (Roughly 11 WAR) and added nothing to replace them. 70 wins absolute best record possible for me.

I think they'll win in the low 70s, but I actually think this team will be with 5 games of .500 in early June. I don't think we're anywhere near as bad as some people around here think/want us to be.

That said, once Melky is given away, and Frazier is traded for whatever we can get, and Robertson and perhaps Jones are moved, and fringe guys like Gonzalez, Holland and Soto are moved, this team is going to be bad.

Which I think will result in something in the high 60s, low 70s wins, and somewhere between the 5th and 10th pick.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 31, 2017 -> 10:35 AM)
You think managers matter a hell of a lot more than I do. They traded away their 2 best players (Roughly 11 WAR) and added nothing to replace them. 70 wins absolute best record possible for me.

I expect better production from every infield position, catcher, and similar to last year's production from LF and CF. Maybe Avi will surprise us by having a halfway decent season. Pitching is going to be a problem and DH is a big question mark but the managing and clubhouse should be better so I'll say the Sox turn in a pretty meh season with between 75 - 79 wins. That's not taking into account any trades of regulars for prospects that aren't ready to contribute to the major league roster.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Mar 31, 2017 -> 11:45 AM)
I think they'll win in the low 70s, but I actually think this team will be with 5 games of .500 in early June. I don't think we're anywhere near as bad as some people around here think/want us to be.

That said, once Melky is given away, and Frazier is traded for whatever we can get, and Robertson and perhaps Jones are moved, and fringe guys like Gonzalez, Holland and Soto are moved, this team is going to be bad.

Which I think will result in something in the high 60s, low 70s wins, and somewhere between the 5th and 10th pick.

I used to feel this way, but I now believe this team will simply suck. The rotation is going to be a mess, the defense will be below average at best, and there are several significant holes in the lineup. And once we trade guys like Quintana, Frazier, Melky, Jones, & Robertson things will only get worse. This team is not going to win 70+ games unless they get incredibly lucky or have some unforeseen breakthrough performances.

I'm thinking low 70s for wins. I keep reading that this team is worse than last year's team, which is true, but the team last year under performed in my opinion. So, I wouldn't want to say they'll lose X number of games more than last year. The should lose X number of games more than last year's team SHOULD have lost. I do believe that a new manager and a better clubhouse will make a difference. Not a huge difference by any stretch of the imagination, but a difference.

I don't foresee this team competing near the trade deadline, but I hope they're not at that not so magic place where management doesn't make the moves they should. So, figuring that trades are made, we'll see a drop off in wins in August and September.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 31, 2017 -> 11:53 AM)
I used to feel this way, but I now believe this team will simply suck. The rotation is going to be a mess, the defense will be below average at best, and there are several significant holes in the lineup. And once we trade guys like Quintana, Frazier, Melky, Jones, & Robertson things will only get worse. This team is not going to win 70+ games unless they get incredibly lucky or have some unforeseen breakthrough performances.

I think the infield defense will be better than last year. Catching will be better. CF defense will be much better. Melky is Melky in LF. RF is a big downgrade, but I expect Avi will DH his fair share (Melky too). I don't think the defense will be THAT bad, at least initially.

Pitching? Meh. Bullpen is fine to pretty solid. Q and Rodon are just fine as 1 and 2. I think Gonzalez is fine as a #5. Shields will be better, but not good. I think Holland will be a fine #4. Basically we have a #1, and #3 (with the chance to be a #1 as well), and three #4/#5 types.

You have contract years from both Melky and Frazier. I expect both to be pretty solid, and Frazier to be much better than last year. They should both be motivated. Abreu was awful in the first half last year - I expect him to be much better. I am excited to see Saladino out there most days and think at worst he is a 1 WAR player.

Managing will be better. I think the team may have a bit of a chip on its shoulder with how bad everyone thinks they will be. Really only subtracted 2 players off last years team, and while they were both very good, one only impacted 20% of the games, and both were questionable clubhouse guys (I admittedly loved them both).

I just don't think this team is that bad. I don't think they're going to compete for the division or anything, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see they get off to a decent start. I know I for one will be rooting for wins and hoping for good performances for all team members until its obvious that they suck. I just can't root for my team to lose. The chances of us getting Seth Beer are minimal.

Edited by ChiSox59

I'll add that I'll root for the Sox to win until it's time to root for them to lose. There will be positives this season regardless of the daily wins and losses. As far as draft position, I can't see a scenario where the Sox are worse than the Padres, and probably the Reds.

Went with 68-71 wins. They could be worse but that depends on how long it takes to trade Q, Frazier, Melky, Robertson and possibly Jones. If the Sox can move these guys by the deadline, the second half will be pretty ugly in the loss column. I'm not cheering for losses and I will watch the games with hopes of the Sox winning, but I do accept that losing is a part of rebuilding so cheering for losses feels kind of redundant. Losses will happen but I will still cheer for them to win.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Mar 31, 2017 -> 11:49 AM)
I expect better production from every infield position, catcher, and similar to last year's production from LF and CF. Maybe Avi will surprise us by having a halfway decent season. Pitching is going to be a problem and DH is a big question mark but the managing and clubhouse should be better so I'll say the Sox turn in a pretty meh season with between 75 - 79 wins. That's not taking into account any trades of regulars for prospects that aren't ready to contribute to the major league roster.

They have some RH power, a solid bullpen, and 2 good starting pitchers. I have no idea how they are going to get on base consistently though. They have a bottom 5 offense and one of worst groups of starting pitchers in the AL. I just don't see it.