NCAA basketball thread 2017-18

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 5, 2017 -> 01:04 PM)
So the rumor was Walker sold himself as being tied to Tilmon and Smith. Have to wonder if his status gets evaluated if he doesn't get some kids on campus this year.

Walker will not last long after this a year max. Walker had 1 job to do and failed miserably

Edited by Soxfest

If I'm the MVC, I agree with most of the conventional wisdom Approach St. Louis first. They'll probably say no. So I approach all three of Valpo, Belmont and Murray State. You could essentially split into two divisions if you wanted.

UNI - Drake - Loyola - Bradley - Illinois State - Southern Illinois

Missouri State - Indiana State - Evansville - Belmont - Valparaiso - Murray State

I hadn't really dove in on Blake Harris because of some of the bigger names but he has some really fun highlight tape. Guess he plays out of control a lot but that team could have used his fun last year.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Apr 7, 2017 -> 10:09 AM)
And I can appreciate that, but let's call it what this is - a negotiation. I don't think it's appropriate to view recruitment of high level players as a bidding war in the ugly side of college athletics, but then pretend these kids are all saintly and merely making a decision to play basketball at the place where they can obtain what's best for them.

His original non-commitment, then commitment and now de-commitment have nothing to do with the "good" side of college sports. It's about maximizing his worth for him and/or his family. He's got every right to do that, but he's not absolved from being s***ty to people at the program I root for.

edit: and to be clear, when I say "f*** him," it's not a personal attack against him for his decision making, it's my opinion that the school should be done with him. Focus energy elsewhere.

You say this as if universities, NCAA, etc. aren't making millions upon millions upon millions off of these kids and there wasn't a real, actual coaching change. Don't be that typical blind delusional fan.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 09:21 AM)
Not a good sign, but may be understandable if he's scrambling for 2017 guys.

Yeah, I have to imagine that Underwood will be hitting Chicago once the '17 scramble is done, and once the staff has been completed. Particularly since I don't think there's a single kid on the board still in '17 from Chicago, and other than Ayo, I don't think there's much up there in '18 either.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 09:59 AM)
Heads - Cornell Mann talking about running the Hoiberg offense at Mizzou. Opening night will be fun (though I think "pro-style" offense is now a catchall)

LOL, I've never heard him being regarded as an X's and O's coach evvvver. He tried to launch a music career here though. His role was to recruit Michigan, but I don't think I ever heard a thing about him being a part of coaching that offense.

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 08:38 PM)
Those pipelines are kinda dry lately anyways

So Illinois wants no shot at Dosunmu or Horton-Tucker?

Plus you want to try and open up a pipeline, which was probably the only reason Groce wanted Tate.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 08:50 AM)
So it sounds like Chin Coleman will be brought on as an Assistant at Illinois. That should help with the Mac Irvin Fire people. Chuck Martin from Indiana was rumored as well but likely going to South Carolina.

Nothing official yet, but looking like that.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 08:37 AM)
So Illinois wants no shot at Dosunmu or Horton-Tucker?

Plus you want to try and open up a pipeline, which was probably the only reason Groce wanted Tate.

From what I've heard, Dosunmu isn't influenced heavily by the Irvins, but no idea how accurate that is.

Underwood and staff will need to have good relations up there, but winning solves more problems than a few delayed phone calls.

I'm still hoping for Chuck Martin and there is no way we should let South Carolina outbid us but if Chin Coleman is the third assistant I hope his job security is tied to landing Dosunmu. I'm sick of having a "Chicago guy" on staff who brings basically nothing to the table other than trying to appease Chicago when we still don't land any of the top players from the city. Land Dosunmu or hit the road.