NCAA basketball thread 2017-18

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been a rough recruiting season for the staff, if they get Ayo a lot of the of pain goes away but at this point I don't think the confidence the insiders have on this one is as solid as once thought. I think Ayo wants to be the man but not the only guy in the class.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 10:18 AM)
It's been a rough recruiting season for the staff, if they get Ayo a lot of the of pain goes away but at this point I don't think the confidence the insiders have on this one is as solid as once thought. I think Ayo wants to be the man but not the only guy in the class.

Long way to go, and depending on what happens may be quite a few transfers that open up. So many guys that are "committed" now are going to open up again before they sign.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 10:18 AM)

And thankfully they only lose one guy from this year's roster

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 10:20 AM)
Long way to go, and depending on what happens may be quite a few transfers that open up. So many guys that are "committed" now are going to open up again before they sign.

Besides this kid from Finland (who is supposed to be pretty darn good), their top targets list is already gone. They have some time and of course the spring to find late bloomers, but there's good reason to be concerned right now.

I will say, I am super excited to see the Martin vs Underwood results over the next 4 years. It's going to be a really interesting case study.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 10:25 AM)
Besides this kid from Finland (who is supposed to be pretty darn good), their top targets list is already gone. They have some time and of course the spring to find late bloomers, but there's good reason to be concerned right now.

I will say, I am super excited to see the Martin vs Underwood results over the next 4 years. It's going to be a really interesting case study.

Yeah not saying you have people right where you want em, but I do think there is going to be some weird movement that UofI has good appeal to capitalize on due to system/playing time.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 11:24 AM)
Yeah not saying you have people right where you want em, but I do think there is going to be some weird movement that UofI has good appeal to capitalize on due to system/playing time.

Depending on the fallout from the Adidas scandal, a lot of crazy things could happen over the next year.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 11:43 AM)
Thats the thing, do you want recruits that would have taken money from those schools?

That's too narrow. Players that may not have taken money but suddenly are under a coaching change could transfer, or players that may not have taken ('18 class) but main recruiter is gone could decommit.

But yeah, Ohio State is going after Ramey. I don't think he took money, but you are going after him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 11:53 AM)
If you are telling that schools will say no to these guys, I am going to laugh in your face.

Some won't be eligible, so I could see a lot of schools saying thanks but no thanks

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 11:45 AM)
That's too narrow. Players that may not have taken money but suddenly are under a coaching change could transfer, or players that may not have taken ('18 class) but main recruiter is gone could decommit.

But yeah, Ohio State is going after Ramey. I don't think he took money, but you are going after him.

And a lot of people are on the fence about it. Thats why I posed the question. Is it worth it to go after those kids if you think they may have been dirty.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 13, 2017 -> 09:10 AM)
LoL, UNC gets off with the dumbest explanation from the NCAA ever.

"You cheated but some regular students benefited so, it's ok!"

Illinois better start an entire f***ing program for this since it's now 100% acceptable under the rules. Every student athlete can have their s*** done for them so long as some random students can do the same. Done. Do it.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Oct 13, 2017 -> 09:19 AM)
"You cheated but some regular students benefited so, it's ok!"

Illinois better start an entire f***ing program for this since it's now 100% acceptable under the rules. Every student athlete can have their s*** done for them so long as some random students can do the same. Done. Do it.

Pay a couple of students.

"Yeah, I paid for so and so to come play bball but I also paid that student to take classes, so it's ok."

“While student-athletes likely benefited from the so-called ‘paper courses’ offered by North Carolina, the information available in the record did not establish that the courses were solely created, offered and maintained as an orchestrated effort to benefit student-athletes,” said Greg Sankey, the panel’s chief hearing officer and commissioner of the Southeastern Conference. “The panel is troubled by the university’s shifting positions about whether academic fraud occurred on its campus and the credibility of the Cadwalader report, which it distanced itself from after initially supporting the findings. However, NCAA policy is clear. The NCAA defers to its member schools to determine whether academic fraud occurred and, ultimately, the panel is bound to making decisions within the rules set by the membership.”

So they're admitting that UNC cheated but because they couldn't prove they intentionally cheated it's not a violation (when does that excuse EVER work in regards to NCAA infractions? Intent is rarely considered). They're also admitting that this has to do with academics, and they couldn't give two s***s about academics.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Oct 13, 2017 -> 09:27 AM)
So they're admitting that UNC cheated but because they couldn't prove they intentionally cheated it's not a violation (when does that excuse EVER work in regards to NCAA infractions? Intent is rarely considered). They're also admitting that this has to do with academics, and they could give two s***s about academics.

Most of the students in the classes were general students. But yes, UNC should be ashamed over that "academic" program overall. Even as a UNC fan, when you combine this with the FBI doing their job for them, it doesn't look good for the NCAA either.

The absolute truth from Bilas,

https://twitter.com/JayBilas/status/918846670019989504

Edited by Palehosefan

Stewart Mandel‏Verified account @slmandel 1m1 minute ago

Boise State got punished for letting freshmen sleep on players' couches before they were enrolled. ... UNC 2 decades academic fraud: Nada.

Stewart Mandel‏Verified account @slmandel 43s44 seconds ago

Colorado got two years probation because walk-ons were undercharged for meals.

Stewart Mandel‏Verified account @slmandel 3m3 minutes ago

Alabama vacated wins for failing to monitor the distribution of textbooks.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 13, 2017 -> 12:41 PM)
Valtonen to ASU, Illinois is now 0-5 on top targets. Ayo visiting this weekend, lots of good vibes but my confidence is shaken.

Not a good sign that these guys tend to commit elsewhere after their Illinois visit. Total lack of excitement while being on campus apparently.

Call up the Nike rep and make sure Ayo commits!

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 13, 2017 -> 02:24 PM)
MU and Kansas are going to scrimmage for hurricane relief fundraising next sunday.

Lame that it's not a regular season game, would be an awesome game if it meant something (and could probably raise more money).

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 13, 2017 -> 02:47 PM)
Lame that it's not a regular season game, would be an awesome game if it meant something (and could probably raise more money).

Kansas is not going to let that happen while Self is around, likely.