NCAA basketball thread 2017-18

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 01:39 PM)
Honestly, if he is a lottery pick he has to go pro still. There is way too much risk to going back to Missouri coming off a serious back injury if he is still going to be picked high.

Right. I can't imagine another year under a third rate coach is going to help his draft stock at all.

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 02:40 PM)
Right. I can't imagine another year under a third rate coach is going to help his draft stock at all.

I don't think the coach matters for a guy like Porter. The bigger issue is back injuries often are long term issues and if he has any flare ups next year you are no longer going to have teams being willing to take a flyer on you early.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 03:10 PM)
Third rate coach, gtfo. s*** didn't hurt Jaylen Brown. Johnny Jones sure ruined Ben Simmons.

Yeah, I don't think highly of Martin's coaching but he is much better than guys like Romar and Jones and it doesn't matter much for players of Porter's caliber. The real reason he should go pro is I'd bet heavily on him being a lotto pick still and there is way too much to lose and not enough to gain coming off a back injury.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 02:21 PM)
J4L is mostly right. Austin's still trying to land one.

Based on your track record, I should be an admin.

You don't like the reality that Cuonzo is a bad coach. Sorry dude. Nothing I can do for you. Feel bad for the Mizzou faithful, but they bet on the Porter train and it looks like they lost.

Edited by Sox-35th

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 01:37 PM)
Agree with this, really sucks for Porter but I'm guessing as long as he looks ok in workouts he is still a top 10 pick. Sure he might not go top 3 but someone will take a chance on that talent early like the 76ers did with Embiid a few years back. I'm sure he will still do quite well for himself in the draft next year, he just won't be competing with Bagley, Ayton and Doncic for #1 but I bet he still goes right after those guys.

Embiid also missed two full seasons. That is what teams are trying to avoid.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 03:30 PM)
Embiid also missed two full seasons. That is what teams are trying to avoid.

And looks like a superstar now. I guarantee the 76ers don't care that they passed on any of the mediocre players that went after him just because he missed two years. Teams aren't going to pass on Porter unless it is pretty clear the back injury will take away a lot of his athleticism.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 02:40 PM)
And looks like a superstar now. I guarantee the 76ers don't care that they passed on any of the mediocre players that went after him just because he missed two years. Teams aren't going to pass on Porter unless it is pretty clear the back injury will take away a lot of his athleticism.

Ya, this.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 02:23 PM)
Based on your track record, I should be an admin.

You don't like the reality that Cuonzo is a bad coach. Sorry dude. Nothing I can do for you. Feel bad for the Mizzou faithful, but they bet on the Porter train and it looks like they lost.

You got your shot in, let's be civil now.

That goes for all.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 04:19 PM)
For what little it's worth, I also don't think Cuonzo is a very good coach. Felt that way when Illinois fans wanted him more than anything and still feel that way now.

He's not a third tier coach that would have hurt a player to stay with him. He's a coach that has relied on a slow pace too often. There's a difference.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 05:28 PM)
He's not a third tier coach that would have hurt a player to stay with him. He's a coach that has relied on a slow pace too often. There's a difference.

he didn't do squat in the PAC with a pretty good roster. Agree with the Ron Zook of college hoops assessment. He's just not very good X's and O's...good recruiter...sure.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 03:40 PM)

Depends on where you're picking. If you're a lottery team...do you risk it? Hope the Bulls say no honestly if it got to that. I'd give my left nut for the Bulls to get Ayton!

QUOTE (Wanne @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 07:18 PM)
Depends on where you're picking. If you're a lottery team...do you risk it? Hope the Bulls say no honestly if it got to that. I'd give my left nut for the Bulls to get Ayton!

Absolutely. Other than Ayton, Doncic and Bagley I haven't seen anyone I would pass on Porter for even with injury. I'm betting on the potential star.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 01:37 PM)
The problem is until he plays a real schedule you won't know. Working out isn't going to answer those questions the same way a college basketball season will.

There are too many teams in NBA hell at the back half of the lottery that are looking to make such a gamble to get an elite talent.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 06:18 PM)

Yes, and you hope there are teams in front of you that are dumb enough to pass.

Some NBA teams would rather a kid have surgery than play an entire college season.