NCAA basketball thread 2017-18

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 23, 2017 -> 08:57 PM)
Jontay Porter is having an amazingly bad game

And Kassius Robertson who shoots over 40% from 3 couldn't make a shot. The better team didn't win tonight, but I don't mean to say Mizzou deserved it. Just that Illinois remains awful and Mizzou lost to an awful team. That f***ing sucks. For all of Mizzou's supposed talent, they probably remain on the bubble this year and games like this won't help the cause.

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 23, 2017 -> 09:14 PM)
Oh well. Gonna be those games where threes don’t fall. They had good looks. With Jontay only being 17 he’s gonna hit some freshman walls.

Jontay upsets me less than Robertson or even Harris. With the way the roster is set up Jontay is always a complementary guy. If he's having a big game, give him minutes, but you don't have to when he's struggling. Robertson picking this game to not look like a sharpshooter really sucks. Harris is also a freshman, but he decided he wanted to take over and his game just isn't there yet. I'm honestly not sure it ever will be, but it definitely isn't now.

Overall, they just played like a team that wasn't ready for a big game. Illinois came out playing so damn hard on defense and really wanted it. Mizzou acted like they were surprised by that at the start. That's disappointing. I guess when you're rebuilding, the players have to go through crappy games like this.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 23, 2017 -> 09:14 PM)
And Kassius Robertson who shoots over 40% from 3 couldn't make a shot. The better team didn't win tonight, but I don't mean to say Mizzou deserved it. Just that Illinois remains awful and Mizzou lost to an awful team. That f***ing sucks. For all of Mizzou's supposed talent, they probably remain on the bubble this year and games like this won't help the cause.

Cuonzo Martin. That's why. Dude is an awful coach.

Illinois' best players are freshmen outside of Leron Black. Can't wait to add Ayo to this young group.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 23, 2017 -> 09:57 PM)
Cuonzo Martin. That's why. Dude is an awful coach.

Illinois' best players are freshmen outside of Leron Black. Can't wait to add Ayo to this young group.

Mizzou won 8 games last year. You think our beat players are seasoned vets?

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 23, 2017 -> 11:54 PM)
Mizzou won 8 games last year. You think our beat players are seasoned vets?

I'm not a Cuonzo fan but a lot of people overstate how bad his coaching is. I think he is probably a slightly below average head coach who doesn't maximize his talent. But he is also a far cry from guys like Kim Anderson or John Groce who are pretty much complete disasters.

With that said, Missouri's best players this year are seniors and their 3 leading scorers are 2 seniors and a junior, so yes, I would say that is the case. Except for Barnett their most talented players are freshmen however.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 23, 2017 -> 10:19 PM)
Harris is also a freshman, but he decided he wanted to take over and his game just isn't there yet. I'm honestly not sure it ever will be, but it definitely isn't now.

He is a good athlete and has some upside but it is really tough to be good when you can't shoot at all.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 23, 2017 -> 11:01 PM)
I'm not a Cuonzo fan but a lot of people overstate how bad his coaching is. I think he is probably a slightly below average head coach who doesn't maximize his talent. But he is also a far cry from guys like Kim Anderson or John Groce who are pretty much complete disasters.

With that said, Missouri's best players this year are seniors and their 3 leading scorers are 2 seniors and a junior, so yes, I would say that is the case. Except for Barnett their most talented players are freshmen however.

Right so awful coach Cuonzo took the same players as the 8 won disaster last year and already has won more games than last years team. Okay.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 3, 2018 -> 10:21 PM)
Trae young did not get worse in conference play... mercy this guy is incredible.

I don’t see Euro ball so know nothing about Doncic, and I may be a bad GM, but I couldnt draft Doncic over Ayton, Bag, or Trae right now.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 06:06 AM)
I don’t see Euro ball so know nothing about Doncic, and I may be a bad GM, but I couldnt draft Doncic over Ayton, Bag, or Trae right now.

I know. I’d struggle to take any of them over him. At least if I was drafting a video game point guards are way more fun.

Doesn't look like Illinois is going to turn it around this year. They still have time, but an 0-3 hole is rough. Big Ten is down, their best non-conference win was Missouri....not looking good.

I think it's time to switch up the starting line-up. Williams and Frazier have clearly outplayed Lucas/Smith/Alstork. They're playing more minutes, but they just can't afford to start in these huge holes. That 2-17 start may have been the worst I've ever seen Illinois play, and there has been some bad basketball over the last decade.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 07:06 AM)

I'm not sure why, but Doncic on offense makes me think of Rondo if Rondo could shoot and was 6'8".

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 08:44 AM)
Doesn't look like Illinois is going to turn it around this year. They still have time, but an 0-3 hole is rough. Big Ten is down, their best non-conference win was Missouri....not looking good.

I think it's time to switch up the starting line-up. Williams and Frazier have clearly outplayed Lucas/Smith/Alstork. They're playing more minutes, but they just can't afford to start in these huge holes. That 2-17 start may have been the worst I've ever seen Illinois play, and there has been some bad basketball over the last decade.

Quite frankly, I'm disappointed in Underwood. Thought he would have more of an immediate impact.

We clearly don't have enough talent right now, but really thought he could scheme and coach the team to more wins. But as of now, the offense looks pedestrian and extremely inconsistent, and the defense gives up a lot but forces turnovers at least.

I hoped but didn't expect us to make the tournament, but didn't really believe we would know before 2018 that we wouldn't make the tourney.

This is a larger rebuild than I thought, and not getting a big man or a wing in 2018 is now concerning.

Frustrating to watch what we THOUGHT would be at least a contender for post-season at Iowa become a B10 doormat.

We have a very young team, SOME quality pieces...but just not enough athleticism or defensive ability, especially on the perimeter. Just goes to show the value of a point guard, as Bohannon's ideally suited as a SG (too short) and can't cut off dribble drive penetration to save his life (leading to more zones, which opens up the perimeter to a 3 point barrage and lots of offensive rebounds, due to the failure to block out properly).

Sucks, because McCaffrey has two kids who were expected to contribute, and we have one really good recruit (Weiskamp from Muscatine) for next year, but I'm almost ready to pull the plug yet again.

Alford, Lickliter and McCaffrey have each failed to make the NCAA's as consistently as Dr. Tom Davis. By my count, it will only be 6 appearances over an 18 year stretch. Unacceptable, compared to the 70's (Lute Olson), 80's (George Raveling/Davis) and 90's (Davis/Alford).

It's also frustrating to look at someone like Chris Beard with Texas Tech. You look at his background, the obscure schools he's coached, but he just comes in and wins everywhere he goes (now at KU, no mean feat). Yet it's so difficult to find a coach who can consistently win (and recruit) at Iowa. (Of course, Hoiberg was doing it at ISU, and Creighton has an extremely respectable program as well, so there shouldn't be any excuses with the resources available.)

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 11:37 PM)
Im just happy we didnt get the "just like football" chant.

But I do like we were picked fr 11th in conference and we are definitely going to outperform that.

It's been a lot more fun watching the team this year, I like the energy.

I'm trying not to get my hopes too high, but being 3-0 in the B1G is quite nice. I'm still not trying to think of them as a tournament team, but if they come close, those losses to Clemson and Butler with double digit leads are really going to sting.

Chris Holtmann is a hell of a coach. I think it's underappreciated how he kept Butler going after Miller's illness. He would have been coach 1a that I wanted when Mizzou was searching but I didn't even think he would leave for anyone. I heard that experience with Miller made Butler a pretty tight knit family. Not shocked by his start at OSU.