NCAA basketball thread 2017-18

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 09:27 PM)
My enthusiasm for Underwood is officially wavering.

Don't think that's fair yet. Team has shown flashes but this team has 0 inside presence and that's all on Groce. Outside of Black, Ebo is the best big right now who is actually playing well as of late.

He needs to give the team HGH so they don't get outrebounded by the guys so much bigger than them. The team just has absolutely no size and Finke shooting 0% from 3 in big ten play has rendered him absolutely useless.

Replace Finke with a transfer Center, replace Alstork with Ayo, and let all everyone grow a year. I'll officially lose enthusiasm if we don't make the tournament next year.

QUOTE (Da_Goob @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 09:36 PM)
He needs to give the team HGH so they don't get outrebounded by the guys so much bigger than them. The team just has absolutely no size and Finke shooting 0% from 3 in big ten play has rendered him absolutely useless.

Replace Finke with a transfer Center, replace Alstork with Ayo, and let all everyone grow a year. I'll officially lose enthusiasm if we don't make the tournament next year.

The 2019 class is gonna be the real tell. I think Illinois lands Okoro, Liddell, and Whitney

Kind of a broken record here, but I think it's talent more than anything. They've just got nothing.

Dosunmu helps next year, but they need to find about 5 other legit players.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 09:41 PM)
Kind of a broken record here, but I think it's talent more than anything. They've just got nothing.

Dosunmu helps next year, but they need to find about 5 other legit players.

If none of the freshmen turn into legit players outside of Frazier then Underwood is awful at evaluating players.

I think Smith and Damonte will be fine players when it's all said and done. They've both shown flashes this year.

QUOTE (Da_Goob @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 09:44 PM)
If none of the freshmen turn into legit players outside of Frazier then Underwood is awful at evaluating players.

I think Smith and Damonte will be fine players when it's all said and done. They've both shown flashes this year.

Smith has looked horrible most of the season. Not saying he won't ever work out, but I'm not counting on him until he starts playing better. Damonte has played well as a role player, though, you're right.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 09:47 PM)
Smith has looked horrible most of the season. Not saying he won't ever work out, but I'm not counting on him until he starts playing better. Damonte has played well as a role player, though, you're right.

Ebo has turned into a decent back up as well. Has really progressed as the season has went on.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 10:27 PM)

yeah...I'm not putting this on Underwood until he has a couple of his own recruiting classes. He's stated that this is the "quitest" team he's ever been around (read that from another poster on a different board)...but in his post game presser he laments (again) lack of leadership. Not to mention like most have been saying there's ZERO inside presence. If I never have to watch Michael Finke play basketball again I'll be happy. Ebo has really improved. I can't believe how horrible Mark Smith actually is...he was Illinois Mr. Basketball?!?!? My biggest complaint about last night is he tried nothing to slow the bleeding. Hell...I'd have gone 1-3-1 zone towards the end of the 1st half. Iowa guards were just gashing and feeding for easy baskets. Trent Frazier has been the biggest surprise. But again...I'll give Underwood a few classes before I pass any judgement on him.

Replace Underwood with Groce in each of these posts and it's all the stuff I heard 5 years ago. Just wait until Groce gets his guys! Look at what Weber left him! Blah, blah.

Teams are short of talent in various areas and they figure out a way. I know Illinois lacks size and that's not Underwood's fault. I know they're young and rely on freshman. Also not Underwood's fault. But what about coming out flat? Playing terrible halves (not minutes, full 20 minute stretches)? Not being able to come up with set plays to get good shots? Making the same mistakes over and over again (turnovers, turnovers, turnovers).

I also feel like they pretty quickly went away from the score within 7 seconds stuff. I've watched every game and when they're running and gunning they hit shots, but as soon as they miss one or two and the defense applies a little more pressure all that run and gun stuff stops. Their half court is bad. And they keep fouling! Has their been a game where foul trouble didn't play a part? That's on coaching too.

Not saying this whole experiment is a failure before it begins, but I really did believe that Underwood would get them to 5-7th in the Big Ten, right in line with a tourney bid. That's clearly not happening. They may be the worst team in the conference.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jan 12, 2018 -> 05:03 PM)
Replace Underwood with Groce in each of these posts and it's all the stuff I heard 5 years ago. Just wait until Groce gets his guys! Look at what Weber left him! Blah, blah.

Teams are short of talent in various areas and they figure out a way. I know Illinois lacks size and that's not Underwood's fault. I know they're young and rely on freshman. Also not Underwood's fault. But what about coming out flat? Playing terrible halves (not minutes, full 20 minute stretches)? Not being able to come up with set plays to get good shots? Making the same mistakes over and over again (turnovers, turnovers, turnovers).

I also feel like they pretty quickly went away from the score within 7 seconds stuff. I've watched every game and when they're running and gunning they hit shots, but as soon as they miss one or two and the defense applies a little more pressure all that run and gun stuff stops. Their half court is bad. And they keep fouling! Has their been a game when foul trouble didn't play a part? That's on coaching too.

Not saying this whole experiment is a failure before it begins, but I really did believe that Underwood would get them to 5-7th in the Big Ten, right in line with a tourney bid. That's clearly not happening. They may be the worst team in the conference.

Coaching really can only get you so far though (and remember that Groce's first IL team nearly is the closest IL has been to a Sweet 16 since Dee Brown graduated, while Beilein went 10-22 his first year at Michigan).

There's been good stuff this year. Leron Black has made huge strides. Aaron Jordan (!) is an important contributor. Frazier obviously looks like a star in the making.

But the bad stuff is part roster composition - which isn't really BU's fault. Finke is a guy that is just too limited athletically to guard at this level. That's fine if he's your backup center, and it's fine if he makes shots at an elite level. He's been brutal shooting the ball, and Ebo isn't ready to play more than 10-15 minutes a night. A complete and utter black hole at one position kills a roster.

With Smith, my read is that the fact that he didn't exclusively focus on basketball until his Senior year of HS is becoming evident. He can score, but he's not an elite shooter, and he hasn't adapted yet to stronger and more athletic competition at the rim. It's going to take longer for Smith than I expected it to take, but BU can't just snap his fingers and have the light bulb go on.

The point here is that there are some good pieces in place. It's just a roster that's short on size, experience, and shot making. The shot making, IMO, gets a big bump with Ayo and reasonable strides from Year 1 to Year 2 from Smith (not to mention from Frazier). The experience gets a bump because 10 of the 11 guys are back next year. The size, well, let's hope that BU can find a 5th year big that's ready to play a role (rebound, block shots, score a bit - but mostly the first two).

With another year in the system, and reasonable improvements from the FR to Sophs, I'm optimistic about next year...

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 09:36 PM)
Barry Hinson continuing on at SIU. ... Yay or nay?

God, I hope not. I don't care about the injury excuse, this team needs a young coach who wants to build their way to a larger Power 5 job.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 13, 2018 -> 02:29 PM)
Trae Young...making a case against Bagley for best player.

KU barely survived KState at home.

WV looks really good. Would still go with Chris Beard for Coach of the Year.

Finally, Michigan and OSU both playing perhaps better than expected, especially the Buckeyes.

Making a case? There's not even a debate lol

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 14, 2018 -> 08:55 PM)
Seth Davis ranked you guys number 10.

Saw that. Not sure they’re that good. Got Purdue and you guys again I think.

Izzo struggling with his “greatest MSU team” is fun though.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 14, 2018 -> 09:20 PM)
Saw that. Not sure they’re that good. Got Purdue and you guys again I think.

Izzo struggling with his “greatest MSU team” is fun though.

We all know the Izzo novel by now. Struggle in the middle of the season, miraculously get super hot in March, deep run. UM and OSU are totally different teams since they last played. It will be interesting to see them face off again, especially since its not for a month. The standings may be totally different by then.

I just want to make the tourney, competing for a conference title is gravy.

TCU is a crazy 1-4 in the B12, and all of those losses were to Oklahoma by a total of 6 points (2 losses, including an overtime thriller in Norman), by 4 to KU at home, by one on the road in Austin.

They "only" beat Baylor at home by 3.

Now they have Iowa State, at K-State, WV, at Vandy, at Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, at KU and Texas.

That's a suicidal stretch.

The Big 10 is looking pretty pathetic.

MSU is slumping, Purdue is going to end up overrated, you've got Michigan and Ohio State making it as 7-10 seeds...and MAYBE, just MAYBE, Maryland.

Minnesota was absolutely destroyed at home over the weekend. They were one of the surer picks coming into the year, but the loss of Lynch is obviously hurting them. NW has been a pretty disappointment as well after the way last season ended with the positive vibes.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 12:00 AM)
TCU is a crazy 1-4 in the B12, and all of those losses were to Oklahoma by a total of 6 points (2 losses, including an overtime thriller in Norman), by 4 to KU at home, by one on the road in Austin.

They "only" beat Baylor at home by 3.

Now they have Iowa State, at K-State, WV, at Vandy, at Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, at KU and Texas.

That's a suicidal stretch.

The Big 10 is looking pretty pathetic.

MSU is slumping, Purdue is going to end up overrated, you've got Michigan and Ohio State making it as 7-10 seeds...and MAYBE, just MAYBE, Maryland.

Minnesota was absolutely destroyed at home over the weekend. They were one of the surer picks coming into the year, but the loss of Lynch is obviously hurting them. NW has been a pretty disappointment as well after the way last season ended with the positive vibes.

Iowa State has 14 regular season games left. 10 of those teams are ranked. Three of the other four are on the road. That is insane.