NCAA basketball thread 2017-18

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mizzou and Cuonzo with a big win vs Tennessee. This team is so close to having been undefeated in SEC play. Need to win our home games and steal one more road game and I think they can be dancing.

And hopefully MPJ gets back so we have a ballhandler at the end.

Iowa sucks.

Trounced at Rutgers.

For the first time under McCaffrey, the direction of the needle is clearly backwards. Didn't think losing Jok and the back-up PG (Christian Williams) transferring would have such a huge impact.

Really need to make the NCAA's next year. Missed it by one game last year, this year they won't even make the NIT.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 17, 2018 -> 10:32 PM)
Has an entire conference ever made the tournament before? Iowa State is a legitimate bubble team.

Not with their conference record and 7 losses already with 2/3rd's of schedule to go. Got blown out by 20+ at TCU tonight.

I think the closest was the ACC, when they had 8 schools and got 7 in (it was definitely at least 6). The Big East had 11 in 2011. The "modern" ACC, the most they've gotten in was 9.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 17, 2018 -> 10:32 PM)
Has an entire conference ever made the tournament before? Iowa State is a legitimate bubble team.

No good wins. I love the Clones more than anyone but they're nowhere close to the bubble unless they win like 12 straight

Congrats to tOSU for turning their Program around so quickly after it got stagnant.

No such hope with the talent level on Iowa. The worst part is the McCaffrey Brothers’ presence Is scaring off the talent we need to recruit at guard. We had to tolerate Lickliter’s son, thankfully we missed Alford’s, but he actually exceeded expectations slightly as a college player at UCLA.

Finally:

OU desperately needs a win at home against KU tomorrow night to right the ship. This bb team is just like the football version, star-heavy but lacking defensive shutdown ability. They could lose in the first round or get to the Elite 8 based on Young’s shooting and turnover numbers.

Edited by caulfield12

https://www.landof10.com/iowa/iowa-fire-bas...m_medium=Social

According to an extension signed by McCaffery, Iowa athletics director Gary Barta and University of Iowa President Bruce Harreld on Nov. 29, 2017, the school would owe McCaffery $10.2 million if it fired him before July 1, 2018. That number falls to $9 million due McCaffery if he is fired before July 1, 2019, and decreases annually through the 2023-24 season. The recent contract was obtained by Land of 10 via state open-records laws.

McCaffery’s previous contract — signed June 23, 2016, and in place before the November extension — allowed for a $4.6 million payout if he were fired after this season. Should the coach opt for another job before the 2023-24 season, he would owe Iowa athletics $2 million. That’s up from $1 million previously.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 25, 2018 -> 01:34 PM)

He gave the same type of contract to Ferentz.

Frankly though, i'm not sure why people are complaining. Both guys are good coaches. Ferentz has fallen the last few years, but for a while there he had Iowa football at or near its best in the program's history. McCaffrey had a good run just a couple of years ago.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jan 26, 2018 -> 10:47 AM)

Frankly though, i'm not sure why people are complaining. Both guys are good coaches. Ferentz has fallen the last few years, but for a while there he had Iowa football at or near its best in the program's history. McCaffrey had a good run just a couple of years ago.

The timing is bad, but supposedly this was agreed upon last summer, but Barta had some health issues, prostate cancer or something, and they just signed it. It looks bad because the team isn't doing well, but they do have some players coming and are in good shape. His buyout still is significantly less than many Big Ten coaches.

The problem with Ferentz is we are all tired of his offense...and are likely to be stuck with his son for at least 2-3 years as well as head coach. Not to mention Nebraska is likely to join WI as the second legit team in the West. Iowa State is on the upswing, too.

Most would love to see Bobby Stoops as GM and a new whiz kid FB coach, but that backfired badly with Alford and did a half decade’s worth of damage to the fanbase.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jan 26, 2018 -> 10:47 AM)

I think some of it is that Fran is a f***ing asshole

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jan 26, 2018 -> 08:47 AM)

As an Iowa fan, I think it is hilarious how everyone is ripping Fran to shreds. He's a good coach. His defense leaves components to be desired but they have a lot of reasons for this years struggles. Every year under him Iowa has gotten better (up until this year). That said, I think I'm a realist (vs. so many fans who are delusional).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 26, 2018 -> 02:54 PM)
As an Iowa fan, I think it is hilarious how everyone is ripping Fran to shreds. He's a good coach. His defense leaves components to be desired but they have a lot of reasons for this years struggles. Every year under him Iowa has gotten better (up until this year). That said, I think I'm a realist (vs. so many fans who are delusional).

I think Rock nailed it: the dude seems like a huge asshole. His tantrums are ridiculous.

Who takes the Big 12/SEC Challenge today?

No. 14 Texas Tech (-3.5) at South Carolina, 12 p.m., ESPN2

Baylor at No. 20 Florida (-6), 12 p.m., ESPN

Ole Miss at Texas (-6), 2 p.m., ESPN2

Georgia at Kansas State (-7.5), 2 p.m., ESPNU

No. 12 Oklahoma (-1) at Alabama, 2:15 p.m., ESPN

No. 22 Tennessee (-3) at Iowa State, 4 p.m., ESPNU

TCU (-5.5) at Vanderbilt, 4 p.m., ESPN2

Texas A&M at No. 5 Kansas (-7), 4:30 p.m., ESPN

Oklahoma State (-7.5) at Arkansas, 6 p.m., ESPN2

Kentucky at No. 7 West Virginia (-8), 7 p.m., ESPN