NCAA basketball thread 2017-18

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 7, 2017 -> 02:43 PM)
Rosters are going to be raided if players are available to play right away. Its not good for anyone but a handful of schools.

It already is for the one and dones. There are about 5 schools that get them. Occasionally there is a straggler, but not many. But I agree, there would be so much movement, and it wouldn't help most programs. It would be like NBA super team formations on steroids, and there would be so much back door recruitment, it would be sick.

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Several NCAAB assistant coaches were arrested by the FBI for corruption:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8">

Should be a very interesting case.

Link to the charges

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 26, 2017 -> 09:19 AM)
Several NCAAB assistant coaches were arrested by the FBI for corruption:

BREA
K
ING: Lamont Evan
s
of O
k
lahoma
S
tate and Chuc
k
Per
s
on of Auburn Univer
s
ity are two of the coache
s
charged in corruption
s
cheme.

Tom Winter (@Tom_Winter)
S
eptember 26, 2017

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8">

Should be a very interesting case.

Link to the charges

Louisville also involved in another scandal. It might be time for Pitino to get out.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 26, 2017 -> 11:15 AM)
Even better... I just read a different article about this. One of the kids implicated is Brian Bowen who is at LaLumiere HS out here that I have seen play and met a couple of times.

Crazy.

Yup he's the kid that was funneled the 100k to, Louisville/Pitino are in troubllllle.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 27, 2017 -> 10:39 AM)
Michael Eaves‏Verified account @michaeleaves A person inside the #Louisville athletic department tells me there's an expectation that Pitino (and likely Jurich) will be fired today.

But he had no idea.

If the .0000000000001 % chance that he had no idea is true, especially with all the other crap going on in his program, he has to be fired for being clueless.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 27, 2017 -> 10:44 AM)
But he had no idea.

If the .0000000000001 % chance that he had no idea is true, especially with all the other crap going on in his program, he has to be fired for being clueless.

They hired Petrino and Pitino. They had to know one was going to go down in flames. Im surprised he survived buying hookers for recruits.

Oh God, I love it - Auburn loses its 5 star commit for 2018 and one of their 5 star guys from 2016 is considering a transfer. The other? He's one of the player implicated in the indictment.

https://deadspin.com/the-fbis-ncaa-sting-ha...star-1818846437

Bruce Pearl now in the midst of his third major scandal.

There really is nothing in these stories any of us didn't think was happening anyways. Players getting paid...check. Guys getting directed towards agents...check. Street agents getting kick backs....check. Coaches having "no idea".......check.

It will be interesting to see how far this goes. You have to figure Kentucky is guilty. Kansas seems like a good bet. Duke getting busted would be the hugest story. All the one and done schools. They only have to pay these guys for a season.

It will also be interesting to see how this affects college BB moving forward. Do the one and dones disperse a bit more? Right now it seems like they will go to one of maybe 5 or 6 schools. Mizzou has to have red flags around it's program now. Maybe they get back to the NBA.

I wonder the percentage of 5 star recruits are playing legit. Just a full ride. I bet it's small. I'm not talking some spending money here and there, there's a really good chance just about everyone is getting something, but a decent pay day for themselves and their families.

There's also a really good chance you think the coach sucks at your favorite school if he is trying to recruit cleanly.

Edited by Dick Allen

Perhaps i'm naive, but I tend to think that for the vast majority of schools and players this isn't an issue. It's an issue for the top level kids, because why wouldn't it? They know they've got a good shot at a future career in the pros, all they're looking for is a place to play bball for a season or two, and when you're the queen at the ball being courted by a number of suitors, why wouldn't you ask for what you're worth?

I don't think there's anyway to combat this problem though. There's always going to be a need for this black market. Shoe companies and financial advisers and agents all want to be in a position to sign a guy the minute he declares.

And you have the other problem that for the NCAA to enact real change, the NBA basically has to play along, but why would they? They have a free minor league system set up for them.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Sep 27, 2017 -> 12:58 PM)
Perhaps i'm naive, but I tend to think that for the vast majority of schools and players this isn't an issue. It's an issue for the top level kids, because why wouldn't it? They know they've got a good shot at a future career in the pros, all they're looking for is a place to play bball for a season or two, and when you're the queen at the ball being courted by a number of suitors, why wouldn't you ask for what you're worth?

I don't think there's anyway to combat this problem though. There's always going to be a need for this black market. Shoe companies and financial advisers and agents all want to be in a position to sign a guy the minute he declares.

And you have the other problem that for the NCAA to enact real change, the NBA basically has to play along, but why would they? They have a free minor league system set up for them.

Take Bowen. Odds are he is getting kicked out of the NCAA. So he does something for a year (maybe Europe) and then declares for the NBA draft. No skin off of the NBA's back as they still get their guy in a year.