NCAA basketball thread 2017-18

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Super stoked to land a kid like Ayo, not only a great player from the CPL and a game changer, but he seems like a really good kid as well.

Not sure how this helps with recruiting this class though, most of the top targets are already elsewhere. THT is still a huuuuuge stretch at this point, there's a chance but it's not really likely at this point. Beyond that, they have BPJ that could be helped with this move, but not too many other top targets are left in the fall. Will be interesting to see who they pick up interest in during the spring as well.

I do think this helps a TON for 2019.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 20, 2017 -> 08:15 AM)
Super stoked to land a kid like Ayo, not only a great player from the CPL and a game changer, but he seems like a really good kid as well.

Not sure how this helps with recruiting this class though, most of the top targets are already elsewhere. THT is still a huuuuuge stretch at this point, there's a chance but it's not really likely at this point. Beyond that, they have BPJ that could be helped with this move, but not too many other top targets are left in the fall. Will be interesting to see who they pick up interest in during the spring as well.

I do think this helps a TON for 2019.

Yeah, the good news here is that there are a lot of exciting, young guards on the roster. So we aren't looking at Groce's second year where there were like 6 guys who could actually play on the roster. And Alstork is the only guy that graduates, so you have the ability to take a transfer big who has to sit out a year with one of the remaining two scholarships.

The product on the floor this year will hopefully be exciting. That plus Smith and Ayo in back-to-back classes hopefully jump starts things with the '19 class.

Hopefully he's a domino that starts it all rolling. He's tight with a number of the '19 and '20 guys. Some of them, like Adam Miller, were in attendance last night. Francis Okoro would be a huge get next year, along with Liddell.

Just show something this year. Even if they end up .500 and in the NIT, show that the offense can score and be fun and entertaining. It sounds like what sold Ayo was playing fast and shooting within 7 seconds of the shot clock. That stuff appeals to these top guys. Get out and run.

Okoro and Liddell are so important next year, and I don't think we were really players for either of them without getting a guy like Ayo. Now, I think we have legit shots at them, and that's huge.

Beating out Mizzou for Liddell will be tough though, they are recruiting him hard.

So Mizzou ended up losing the scrimmage by 6 but it sounds like it was invaluable experience to get before your first game.

Tilmon had really solid reviews but also amazingly fouled out when 7 fouls were allowed with like 10 minutes left in 2nd half lol.

Kassius Robertson and Jordan Barnett, both seniors, are going to be huge for how far this team goes. Both scored very efficiently.

Ugh, I HATE CPL recruiting. It's such a big thing for Illinois but the drama and craziness that comes with it is exhausting.

THT announcing Thursday, at this point Illinois has to choose between him and Ayo (how awful would that look to lose him) or hope Jesus comes down and makes everything ok.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 23, 2017 -> 05:44 PM)
Ugh, I HATE CPL recruiting. It's such a big thing for Illinois but the drama and craziness that comes with it is exhausting.

THT announcing Thursday, at this point Illinois has to choose between him and Ayo (how awful would that look to lose him) or hope Jesus comes down and makes everything ok.

I've heard the rumored beef, but Irvin did say that they have no beef with each other and THT did follow Ayo on twitter if that means anything lol.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 23, 2017 -> 05:44 PM)

It would look worse for Ayo to decommit with all the stuff he talked about last week after his commitment. I don't think Illinois is picking one or the other, they're trying to get both and if Ayo leaves it's basically on him. You can't let a recruit dictate who you go after, especially if it's not a top 5 pick in the NBA type guy.

There's still some time to make things okay. We'll see. THT still might not even commit to Illinois

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 23, 2017 -> 06:50 PM)
I've heard the rumored beef, but Irvin did say that they have no beef with each other and THT did follow Ayo on twitter if that means anything lol.

Not sure if you are a scout insider but yea, there's beef still. Piper and Snow have been feeding info all day.

QUOTE (Da_Goob @ Oct 23, 2017 -> 06:55 PM)
It would look worse for Ayo to decommit with all the stuff he talked about last week after his commitment. I don't think Illinois is picking one or the other, they're trying to get both and if Ayo leaves it's basically on him. You can't let a recruit dictate who you go after, especially if it's not a top 5 pick in the NBA type guy.

There's still some time to make things okay. We'll see. THT still might not even commit to Illinois

Quite frankly, the staff would get killed if they lose Ayo in one week. They cannot afford the PR hit, they can't comment on it and Ayo can, they would lose.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Oct 23, 2017 -> 07:09 PM)
ISU thinks they are getting THT as well, but who knows.

All 3 of his top three feel really good, he's been sending out good vibes to everyone today. But there has been a lot of smoke around Illinois for him, and the staff is going a bit crazy trying to smooth waters between him and Ayo.

This is such an Illinois thing, get a 5 star kid and there is major drama after the commitment...

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 23, 2017 -> 09:50 PM)
Quite frankly, the staff would get killed if they lose Ayo in one week. They cannot afford the PR hit, they can't comment on it and Ayo can, they would lose.

Just 4 days ago he talked about building a legacy at Illinois. How he values loyalty. If he leaves it definitely doesn't look good. Luckily, I've read that even if he does leave the Irvins still really like the staff. Apparently the Irvins want the kids to play together, Ayo and THT don't mind, but it's Ayo's parents for some reason that have the biggest issue.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 23, 2017 -> 09:48 PM)
Not sure if you are a scout insider but yea, there's beef still. Piper and Snow have been feeding info all day.

What is the beef about? This is so childish.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 23, 2017 -> 09:50 PM)

I swear this only happens to Illinois.

QUOTE (Da_Goob @ Oct 23, 2017 -> 09:59 PM)
Just 4 days ago he talked about building a legacy at Illinois. How he values loyalty. If he leaves it definitely doesn't look good. Luckily, I've read that even if he does leave the Irvins still really like the staff. Apparently the Irvins want the kids to play together, Ayo and THT don't mind, but it's Ayo's parents for some reason that have the biggest issue.

This is unreal. If Ayo and THT are fine playing together, isn't that all that should matter? If the parents are the issue then have them sit in different sections or something. Ayo's credibility will take a big hit if this were to happen.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 23, 2017 -> 10:21 PM)
What is the beef about? This is so childish.

I swear this only happens to Illinois.

This is unreal. If Ayo and THT are fine playing together, isn't that all that should matter? If the parents are the issue then have them sit in different sections or something. Ayo's credibility will take a big hit if this were to happen.

I feel like you're answering your own question here.