NCAA basketball thread 2017-18

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm wondering if Underwood is going to have to change his defense with these new rule changes. Getting called for a million fouls completely changed the flow of the game and let Moore stay out there for long stretches. Also stopped the transition points the Illini were getting early because they were inbounding the ball after made free throws on every possession.

QUOTE (Da_Goob @ Nov 28, 2017 -> 10:34 PM)
I'm wondering if Underwood is going to have to change his defense with these new rule changes. Getting called for a million fouls completely changed the flow of the game and let Moore stay out there for long stretches. Also stopped the transition points the Illini were getting early because they were inbounding the ball after made free throws on every possession.

I love that Underwood is on the REFS!!! train. Embrace it baby. Great quote on the officiating tonight: "I won't get into it so I won't get suspended for the Big Ten games"

Here's Wake Forest six point play

il-wwkk-16.gif

Somehow only the 2nd worse call tonight aside from the one where foul calls with 17 minutes left are apparently reviewable now. As are inadvertent whistles.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 05:06 AM)
Why do Illini basketball fans spend so much time complaining about officiating? It isn't just a couple. I grew up with them, and have watched games since I was a little kid. I would figure they would be just about undefeated in my lifetime if it wasn't for incompetent officiating.

Because cbb refs are awful at their job and largely deserve criticism at every oppurtunity. Its the Jay Bilas line of thought. Last night for example, two plays went to the monitor that are unreviewable, overturning calls on the floor. The refs decided to institute full on replay randomly in a game for reasons known only to them. Nothing, of course, will come of it. Unlike the other 5 major sports leagues, there is no oversight committee or conferences that will come down on it.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 06:37 AM)
Because cbb refs are awful at their job and largely deserve criticism at every oppurtunity. Its the Jay Bilas line of thought. Last night for example, two plays went to the monitor that are unreviewable, overturning calls on the floor. The refs decided to institute full on replay randomly in a game for reasons known only to them. Nothing, of course, will come of it. Unlike the other 5 major sports leagues, there is no oversight committee or conferences that will come down on it.

Illinois had trouble with fouling all game, but that call was a huge swing. It was a 2 point game that quickly turned to 8 in about 10 seconds off a bogus call. College basketball is getting unbearable to watch because of the refs across all levels. It's truly embarrassing how bad they are.

It's not the players fault, but basketball is the softest sport across all major sports

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 06:37 AM)

No fan base takes it to the Illini fan extreme. The Illini get screwed every game. Their opponents never do.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 08:45 AM)
No fan base takes it to the Illini fan extreme. The Illini get screwed every game. Their opponents never do.

You should probably use this comment after complaints for other games. Not this one. I'm guessing you didn't watch because you sound foolish.

QUOTE (Da_Goob @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 09:17 AM)
You should probably use this comment after complaints for other games. Not this one. I'm guessing you didn't watch because you sound foolish.

It's been going on since probably before you were born. My dad has been blaming refs since I was a little kid. I think it must be a freshman required course in Champaign.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 09:55 AM)
Every fan in the college sports threads complain about the refs. Amazing that the refs never actually help their team though.

Only Michigan football fans can actually complain about refs with validity. :D

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 10:41 AM)
It's hysterical to me. They cry about the coaches, the players, but if the refs were competent, they would be undefeated.

There have been times historically where calls against Illinois led to rule changes. The '84 Elite Eight loss @ Rupp led to the "no more home games in the NCAA Tournament." The '13 loss to Miami in the Second Round led to replay on out of bounds calls at the end of games. One of the Kittner football teams got two official apologies from the B1G in one season. Refs are going to be bad, and they obviously aren't targeting Illinois, but there have definitely been times where Illinois fans have had legitimate gripes.

I also don't think it's an Illinois only issue. I lived in Indianapolis for a bit, and every IU loss was because of the refs. I sat in Mackey Arena for an Illinois-Purdue game where the crowd literally booed every foul call against the Boilers. Illinois fans are bad, but they aren't alone in being bad.

Last night, Underwood was publicly mad about the officiating. He's not going to be mad about it every night. There were some legit gripes about the officiating in last night's game. I'm not sure that's why Illinois lost the game, but there were some really confusing stretches from the refs.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 11:04 AM)
There have been times historically where calls against Illinois led to rule changes. The '84 Elite Eight loss @ Rupp led to the "no more home games in the NCAA Tournament." The '13 loss to Miami in the Second Round led to replay on out of bounds calls at the end of games. One of the Kittner football teams got two official apologies from the B1G in one season. Refs are going to be bad, and they obviously aren't targeting Illinois, but there have definitely been times where Illinois fans have had legitimate gripes.

I also don't think it's an Illinois only issue. I lived in Indianapolis for a bit, and every IU loss was because of the refs. I sat in Mackey Arena for an Illinois-Purdue game where the crowd literally booed every foul call against the Boilers. Illinois fans are bad, but they aren't alone in being bad.

Last night, Underwood was publicly mad about the officiating. He's not going to be mad about it every night. There were some legit gripes about the officiating in last night's game. I'm not sure that's why Illinois lost the game, but there were some really confusing stretches from the refs.

The 2000 Michigan game with the two awful A-Train fumble calls essentially swayed the Big Ten into instituting instant replay. They were so blatantly obvious.

edit: I also believe Illinois' elite eight game against Arizona in 2001 was a total ref screw job. Fouls were like 2:1 against Illinois and 6 guys fouled out.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

Illini fans make Lebron look like he never complains.

Basketball has got to be the hardest to officiate. The best athletes, not the best angles, a lot more running around than other sports, and a lot of officials are pretty old. They can't hang with these guys.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 07:37 AM)

Yeah...I've never seen that in any sport...EVER. How do you honestly "take a foul away"? lol...it was pretty comical. I wish they'd just get rid of replay altogether...seeing how they waste way too much time...and half the time they still get the s*** wrong. Last nite was a first tho....