NCAA basketball thread 2017-18

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 10:39 AM)
Looks to me like it's Duke, Villanova and maybe Michigan State and then everyone else is just ok to bad.

Nothing means anything until conference play. Although pac looks woeful this year.

Watched whole Illinois game and there really weren't that many questionable foul calls. Illinois players just don't know how to play defense without being too aggressive right now. Alstork in particular was totally out of control last night and Lucas has a horrible habit of lowering his shoulder every time he drives

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 10, 2017 -> 09:15 PM)
Underwood is a good, not great, coach.

Based on what, exactly?

I didn't watch the UNLV game, but every other game they should have won. They're scoring more points than they have in years, they're pressuring the ball and getting a lot of turnovers. If they would stop fouling and if the freshman would stop being freshman (obviously expected) they'd be undefeated right now. Yes, I realize that's a Tim Beckman "if you take away three of their touchdowns we're in the game" argument, but I'm just saying there's reason for optimism despite the losses. You can see the potential and you can see they're a much better team than the last several years. They're just young and inexperienced. At least they fight and stay in games. They're not getting blown out.

Also, thanks to Groce, they have no size. That's not something Underwood can control.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 09:50 AM)
Based on what, exactly?

I didn't watch the UNLV game, but every other game they should have won. They're scoring more points than they have in years, they're pressuring the ball and getting a lot of turnovers. If they would stop fouling and if the freshman would stop being freshman (obviously expected) they'd be undefeated right now. Yes, I realize that's a Tim Beckman "if you take away three of their touchdowns we're in the game" argument, but I'm just saying there's reason for optimism despite the losses. You can see the potential and you can see they're a much better team than the last several years. They're just young and inexperienced. At least they fight and stay in games. They're not getting blown out.

Also, thanks to Groce, they have no size. That's not something Underwood can control.

Watching his Oklahoma State teams last year. Maybe he's improved since then. His teams haven't exactly played the stingiest defense. Like I said, I think he's good, just not sure he's a cream-of-the-crop guy. He's not that dissimilar from Prohm, here.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 07:15 PM)
Watching his Oklahoma State teams last year. Maybe he's improved since then. His teams haven't exactly played the stingiest defense. Like I said, I think he's good, just not sure he's a cream-of-the-crop guy. He's not that dissimilar from Prohm, here.

I'm all for whatever gets Illinois to NCAA tournaments without necessarily ending up with Underwood leaving for Kentucky.

Carlos Douglas Jr.‏ @TheRealC_Los 9m9 minutes ago Medical director Rick Lehman, who has 32 yrs of experience & has treated #Bulls Legend Michael Jordan in the past, feels Missouri F Micheal Porter Jr can return from his back injury to play in about 4-6 wks. If that happens, the #Bulls & other @NBA teams will be able scout him.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 07:15 PM)

Underwood has the reputation and the results to back it up, he's a top tier coach. The questions are around his ability to build a P5 program (with recruiting, etc). I think he can do it, but the start isn't as encouraging as I would like.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 11:50 PM)
Underwood has the reputation and the results to back it up, he's a top tier coach. The questions are around his ability to build a P5 program (with recruiting, etc). I think he can do it, but the start isn't as encouraging as I would like.

I wouldn't say he has the results to show he's a top-tier coach yet. Lots of guys have won huge at low to mid-majors only to be ineffective at the highest level

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 05:52 PM)
I wouldn't say he has the results to show he's a top-tier coach yet. Lots of guys have won huge at low to mid-majors only to be ineffective at the highest level

He turned a 12 win OKST team into a 20 win, 7 seed team. He can do it at the P5 level.

Like I said, he's got a tremendous reputation for being a top notch coach, he has enough results to back that up (in my opinion). But he has zero evidence in being able to build a program at the P5 level, so plenty of questions on whether he actually succeeds at Illinois.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 12:10 AM)
He turned a 12 win OKST team into a 20 win, 7 seed team. He can do it at the P5 level.

Like I said, he's got a tremendous reputation for being a top notch coach, he has enough results to back that up (in my opinion). But he has zero evidence in being able to build a program at the P5 level, so plenty of questions on whether he actually succeeds at Illinois.

Didn't hurt he had a superstar pg at Oklahoma St and was replacing a horrible coach

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 06:39 PM)
Didn't hurt he had a superstar pg at Oklahoma St and was replacing a horrible coach

Chicken or egg argument I guess. Luckily he's bringing in back to back Illinois Mr. Basketballs, so we'll find out if he can coach within the next two years.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 19, 2017 -> 07:59 PM)
Trae Young, 29 points and 22 assists in 29 minutes, dear God

His first half against the Shockers over the weekend is one of the best halves I've seen a college kid play in a looooong time. This kid is absolutely incredible. He's the best player in college basketball and it's not close.