NCAA basketball thread 2017-18

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 5, 2017 -> 02:36 PM)
Most insiders are saying they already have the guy which is why they decided to pull the trigger now. Who knows. Football season is first anyway

That would make sense. I would say that it's less odd timing if the coach is coming from the pro ranks. Might not mean stevens but could mean someone like Monty Williams?

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 7, 2017 -> 07:35 PM)
It'd still surprise me; he hated recruiting and one of the reasons Thad is out is because of recruiting. I don't doubt he could recruit at Ohio State, it's just that he hated doing it.

If the choices were recruiting for OSU and dealing with the Bulls disaster, I would hit the road.

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Jun 8, 2017 -> 08:22 AM)
Please, no. Just no.

Almost every site has published Gene Smith's contact info and people are flooding his email and phone. Shows about how well this search is being received.

Dude hits endless homeruns with hiring for non revenue sports.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 8, 2017 -> 11:25 AM)
McDerrmott turns down OSU. Wow.

We dont know who did what, but thank god

Insiders are saying ESPN "source" was wrong and he was interviewed and thats it. All of us are just glad he's not it

Edited by RockRaines

This is why Whitman knocked it out of the park on his two hires for basketball and football. He had his guy in place BEFORE firing the current coach. They may not pan out on the field/court, but I like that he was quiet about it and got it done before having to go through the public denials.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jun 8, 2017 -> 11:31 AM)
This is why Whitman knocked it out of the park on his two hires for basketball and football. He had his guy in place BEFORE firing the current coach. They may not pan out on the field/court, but I like that he was quiet about it and got it done before having to go through the public denials.

Well, firing your coach in June is flat out stupid, period.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jun 8, 2017 -> 10:31 AM)

I don't think that's right on Underwood. They tried to get Monty Williams in place early, but he said no. My understanding is that Whitman had done enough behind the scenes diligence that he knew who the reasonable floor was on the search, but they weren't aware Underwood was available when Groce was fired.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jun 8, 2017 -> 11:59 AM)
I don't think that's right on Underwood. They tried to get Monty Williams in place early, but he said no. My understanding is that Whitman had done enough behind the scenes diligence that he knew who the reasonable floor was on the search, but they weren't aware Underwood was available when Groce was fired.

We'll never know obviously, but reading through the lines at Groce's press conference IMO Whitman had clearly already reached out to Underwood's people and had already gauged interest. Had he confirmed it yet? No, but it was well on it's way. The fact that he wasn't using a search firm is a good indication that he already had a target that was interested.

My understanding on Monty was that it was basically a phone call to gauge interest and Whitman let the contact know that Illinois was willing to pay top dollar. I'm not sure if there was any serious back and forth.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

Whitman's team had reached out to Underwood's agent, but his agent wouldn't pass anything along to Underwood (or he wouldn't listen) until their season was over. Once it was, and BU had a meeting with his AD that went awry, the interest became very real on his end. It moved fairly quickly after that.

In other words, Whitman was interested but BU didn't give the signal back until after his team was eliminated. So no, Whitman didn't have it locked down before the Groce firing.

In fact, Whitman's team, smartly, went and talked to an entire list of coaches to guage interest and dollar figures. That's where the whole Cuonzo Martin had an illini offer thing came from. They didn't offer anyone else but they sure as hell were reaching out.