2017 Offseason White Sox News, Notes, and Tweets thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 09:49 AM)
Need to see another most/full season of Avi before I start wanting to extend him.

It all depends on his price tag to be honest. If he wants to get paid based on last season, no way. If he is willing to give the Sox a break based on the first four years, I think about it.

QUOTE (ypres @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 12:52 PM)
What would be a realistic Avi-extension that most are comfortable with?

5/$30M-6/$48M?

I think 5/50M would be reasonable for the player and the team if we wanted to take that gamble now. If we wait until next offseason and he puts up another all-star level year, we're probably looking more like 5/70.

All of these numbers side more with a team friendly "I want to stay with the White Sox" type of player intention.

If he's looking to maximize his pay day / meet in the middle to avoid FA - then you're probably looking more at something along the lines of 5/90.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 04:05 PM)
I think 5/50M would be reasonable for the player and the team if we wanted to take that gamble now. If we wait until next offseason and he puts up another all-star level year, we're probably looking more like 5/70.

All of these numbers side more with a team friendly "I want to stay with the White Sox" type of player intention.

If he's looking to maximize his pay day / meet in the middle to avoid FA - then you're probably looking more at something along the lines of 5/90.

If he puts up another all star year next year, he's 1 year away from Free Agency with Justin Upton caliber numbers. If you wanted to extend him next offseason and he repeated his 2017 season, he's a $100 million+ extension.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 01:10 PM)
If he puts up another all star year next year, he's 1 year away from Free Agency with Justin Upton caliber numbers. If you wanted to extend him next offseason and he repeated his 2017 season, he's a $100 million+ extension.

Agreed, the numbers I suggested are all stated to be team friendly deals.

QUOTE (ypres @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 09:52 PM)
What would be a realistic Avi-extension that most are comfortable with?

5/$30M-6/$48M?

I wouldn't necessarily extend him until we have to but I think he's definitely "worth" 10 million for next season for sure. No need to do anything right now. If Avi sulks you can just say, "Avi, you have to show us it wasn't a one-year fluke. We love you but for gosh sakes do it again and then you'll be paid."

QUOTE (hi8is @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 10:05 PM)

Good post. 5/50 is the right amount. But like I said I wouldn't extend him yet. I also WOULD NOT trade him.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 02:18 PM)
You step out of the box, you get a strike. Really unnecessary to have to adjust your batting gloves after the pitch you just took.

So the pitcher gets to dictate the pace and rhythm of the game and the hitters aren't allowed to do anything about it?

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 09:46 AM)
I think I would actually really like to extend both. Then in a couple years when the kids are ready to move into their OF spots, move Avi to 1B and Abreu to DH.

This is the ONLY person who wants the Chicago White Sox to really WIN. The other replies I read sounds like OLD Cubs who the 2000 fan base. As a true Chicago White Sox Fan I want to win Now.

QUOTE (Jim Busby @ Nov 24, 2017 -> 10:13 AM)
This is the ONLY person who wants the Chicago White Sox to really WIN. The other replies I read sounds like OLD Cubs who the 2000 fan base. As a true Chicago White Sox Fan I want to win Now.

He's not the ONLY one. I say extend the two sluggers and see what happens.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 24, 2017 -> 12:41 PM)
He's not the ONLY one. I say extend the two sluggers and see what happens.

I go to the Park to see a winning Team. I don't go to Farm Team Baseball Games to see Prospects.

Like the umpire yells OUT - Play Ball - and the White should have a wining team and not trade off good baseball players for prospects. This is Chicago

QUOTE (Jim Busby @ Nov 24, 2017 -> 04:13 PM)

Don't you read my posts? I want to win as well now. You are right about most fans loving the "wait til next year" Cub motto of the past. Next year always seems brighter. The second string QB is always better than the first unless you have an Elway, Brady franchise guy. The rabid American message board fan loves rebuilds. It's the way it is and just a few of us need to speak our minds as well to show we exist.

QUOTE (Jim Busby @ Nov 24, 2017 -> 08:15 PM)
I go to the Park to see a winning Team. I don't go to Farm Team Baseball Games to see Prospects.

Like the umpire yells OUT - Play Ball - and the White should have a wining team and not trade off good baseball players for prospects. This is Chicago

Your post is short but sweet. The Sox have already made their share of moves to get the rebuild steaming ahead. We don't need to trade the two good "veteran" players left who are not so old they can't help the rebuilt team.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 24, 2017 -> 11:24 AM)
...The rabid American message board fan loves rebuilds...

Or we've closely observed the team trying to patch holes in free agency and by way of selling the farm in trades... we've watch that method fail miserably for a decade... and while we've watched that, we've also noticed that many teams have been winning the World Series by rebuilding.

Edit: I also think that a good team to compare our aspirations to is the San Francisco Giants. They draft and develop well, rarely trade away the farm, spend big when necessary, and started a run of annual contention through rebuilding.

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (Jim Busby @ Nov 24, 2017 -> 09:13 AM)

How can you read replies and not see Greg is the biggest advocate of that here? Even ElRockin as well.

QUOTE (Jim Busby @ Nov 24, 2017 -> 07:13 AM)

Me good blue sweater cardboard box lightbulb awake nativity raisin time names missing pine rent same body taste dream fluffy alone popcorn kiss juniper rosebud loctus.