2017 Offseason White Sox News, Notes, and Tweets thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 08:35 AM)
Sox needed to get rid of Swisher. Didn't really matter what they got in return. The problem was trading for him to begin with

Who did we give up in that Oakland trade for Swisher?

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (oldsox @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 10:22 AM)
Who did we give up in that Oakland trade for Swisher?

Gio Gonzalez, Fautino de los Santos, and Ryan Sweeney. I think Gio is one of the few guys we have traded prospect-wise in the last like 15 years that has actually gone on to have a good career. Chris Young is a guy who has been around for a while as well and is more of a 4th OF/platoon type.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 12:38 PM)
Kemp would be a nice pickup at the right price.

Yeah for sure. And looking at the free agent tracker, you have Morrison, Melky (teammates seemed to like him), Bautista, Duda, Ethier, and Carlos Gonzalez (rotate between DH and OF) just to name some. I wouldn't mind Davidson getting a chunk of the at bats (he'll still get a decent amount between 3B/1B/DH and based on what other positions a new primary DH can play) but I wouldn't be mad if they signed someone else. Or depending on what else comes over, a deal for Kemp.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 02:43 PM)
Yeah for sure. And looking at the free agent tracker, you have Morrison, Melky (teammates seemed to like him), Bautista, Duda, Ethier, and Carlos Gonzalez (rotate between DH and OF) just to name some. I wouldn't mind Davidson getting a chunk of the at bats (he'll still get a decent amount between 3B/1B/DH and based on what other positions a new primary DH can play) but I wouldn't be mad if they signed someone else. Or depending on what else comes over, a deal for Kemp.

I would be kinda mad if they signed someone else because not only should Davidson get some ABs there, but we should also expect that Delmonico and Cordell could get some ABs there in the 2nd half of the season because the thing in RF in AA will be coming up.

If we took on a DH to save someone else money and got something of value back, that's a different story.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 07:43 PM)

Good point about Melky. If the Sox truly were going to go after a Kemp-like DH, you'd think they'd just sign Melky for a year or two. It's pretty odd that so many players have yet to sign. It's getting late. Normally teams are pretty set by now, just a couple weeks out. Hosmer and Moustakas need to sign with somebody as well as a ton of other guys as you mentioned. Melky isn't that old and he doesn't have a job yet. I guess there are so many rebuilding teams a lot of veterans are going to be surprised when they get zero offers.

https://sports.yahoo.com/chris-getz-describ...-194919118.html

Getz hypes up Micker Adolfo

"That was the first time I'd ever seen Micker Adolfo," Getz said during a Sunday afternoon SoxFest panel at the Hilton Chicago. "I don't know the Micker Adolfo prior to 2017. Ultra talented, lots of tools.

"When I saw this kid for the first time, I thought, ‘This is one of the most physically gifted players I've ever seen.'"

"Those were raw skills. He just needed to play baseball. He needed to get comfortable on a baseball field," Getz continued. "From an offensive standpoint, he was a guy who was trying to generate power, but he was already strong enough, he didn't need to do that. So he really became disciplined last year with an approach. He stayed on top of the ball longer, and he would run into balls naturally and drive them out of the park.

"It was great to see him take strides. And now the confidence is coming, so who knows what's in store next."

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 01:43 PM)

I'd be surprised if they didn't rotate Davidson, Delmonico, and Abreu at DH this season.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Feb 2, 2018 -> 09:16 AM)
The Tatis trade could be rehashed for the next 20 to 50 years potentially. Ernie Broglio is still a known commodity over 50 years later.

Thats because the Cubs sucked and Brock became a Hall of Famer. The Sox made a bad trade. Not the first or last time it will ever happen. Get over it and stop whining

And damn, tatis hasnt even left A ball yet. Lets not crown him a hall of famer just yet

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Feb 2, 2018 -> 09:16 AM)
The Tatis trade could be rehashed for the next 20 to 50 years potentially. Ernie Broglio is still a known commodity over 50 years later.

Only because he was traded for a future HOF'er.

If Tatis goes to the HOF, then it will be.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 2, 2018 -> 09:18 AM)
Thats because the Cubs sucked and Brock became a Hall of Famer. The Sox made a bad trade. Not the first or last time it will ever happen. Get over it and stop whining

And damn, tatis hasnt even left A ball yet. Lets not crown him a hall of famer just yet

Sadly he actually did go to AA and kept destroying.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 4, 2018 -> 10:28 PM)

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8">

https://twitter.com/Carlos_Rodon55/status/960342710296092672

What's the picture? I can't see it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 5, 2018 -> 09:11 AM)
That is spectacular. Love to see the bonding between the players.

I hope I am not just drinking the kool-aid, but it does seem these group of young players are WAY tighter than any group in the past. That could of course be because fans see all their social media interactions now, and see videos of them hanging out, but it just feels like they all have bonded.

Of course nearly the entire team being very young in general probably also helps that.