Most Airlines just don't seem to care

BigSqwert

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 08:06 AM)
How is it legal in the first place to overbook a flight and then force a paying customer off? That by itself is beyond f***ing stupid.

I believe thats actually a federal law. They can bump you at any time. You agree to it when you book.

But again, United shouldnt have bumped people (it happens all the time) but the police are the most in the wrong here. Unless there was more to the story, their forceful nature was stupid.

Kaylyn Davis, who says her husband was on the flight on Sunday evening, posted the video in which the passenger is standing in the aisle saying “just kill me” over and over again while covered in blood. Another video shows the passenger saying “I have to go home.”

When a Twitter user asked whether he is saying, “just kill me,” Davis responded, “That is what I heard. He hit his head pretty hard earlier. He looks terrified and very confused.”

http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/the-wr...ll-11064014.php

Now it gets even worse. Watch this video. He was obviously in shock. Muttering "just kill me" over and over and over again.

The Chicago Department of Aviation, meanwhile, said its security officer was placed on leave "pending a thorough review of the situation."

Typically, the Chicago Fire Department handles all medical emergencies at O'Hare. The fire department was not involved in this case, however.

Meanwhile, Democratic U.S. Rep. Jan Schakowsky of Evanston blamed United Airlines for the situation, saying she was appalled.

"United had overbooked its own flight and chose to forcibly remove a passenger instead of increasing their offer until a passenger chose to leave the flight willingly. Their attempt to pass the buck by blaming the Chicago Police Department for the incident demonstrates that they do not understand the gravity of this incident," she said.

"At a minimum, United Airlines must immediately change their policy and give full restitution and compensation to the victim. This is far from the end of the story."

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20170410/news/170419951/

So lawsuits pending for United, Republic Airways, the Chicago Department of Aviation....as well as Congressional hearings.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 07:47 AM)
Everyone continues to say United overbooked, they didn't do that. They were trying to move a flight crew to Louisville

https://www.yahoo.com/news/united-passenger...-105909157.html

Called it. 210 million online hits in China, already. Apparently witnesses reported he said he was targeted for being Chinese. Goodbye United profits in China. Glad I'm fly Korean Airlines coming back this summer.

Btw, You guys are better defenders than their CEO.

He loses his job over this...what would only have been another $200-400 in incentives/vouchers.

If the captain of the plane was already on board, he was in charge of everything that happened on that plane from the moment he entered the cockpit.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 08:49 AM)
also United didnt drag a guy off the flight, the police did.

And you don't think when United put the policy to call the police in place, this exact scenario wasn't considered? The police are called specifically to remove the passenger. They don't have time to de-escalate the situation since the plane is trying to take off.

http://finance.yahoo.com/quote/UAL?p=UAL

United stock already down close to 4%.

$865 million dollars just disappeared into thin air.

Over $200-400 extra they wouldn't incentivize to wait for another flight, the idiotic CEO's comments, and pissing off all of China and 90% of anyone who's ever flown United in the past. Great work.

United will probably sue Chicago Aviation and those security officers. More lawyers getting rich...

Edited by caulfield12

"He was a really sweet man," John Klaassen, a teacher who was traveling on a school trip in Chicago, told CNN's Don Lemon in an interview April 10.

Klaassen told Lemon that the 69-year-old man, who has not been identified, chatted with some of his students before being told his seat was given to an airline worker.

At that point, the man became inconsolable and repeatedly refused to leave. He was forcibly removed by police and then taken to the hospital with injuries from the confrontation.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/really-sweet-man...-024108685.html

https://www.reddit.com/user/USBrock

United Breaks Guitars....greatest country song of all-time, 17 million hits and counting

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 09:21 AM)
Oh god, now they are digging up dirt on this passenger. AWful.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 09:22 AM)
he was No Angel

Everyone has skeletons, and powerful companies that feel threatened will dig that dirt up.

I feel for that guy as a person - but now his past may color jury opinion.

Now, where it gets really interesting is when passengers are bumped involuntarily, like the four people on Sunday night's flight. Depending on the length of the delay, the airline may have to pay $1,350 for the inconvenience.

"If the substitute transportation is scheduled to get you to your destination more than two hours later (four hours internationally)... the compensation [is] 400% of your one-way fare, $1350 maximum."

That maximum would fit United's predicament, since the next scheduled flight to Louisville was a full day later.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/11/news/unite...ster/index.html

How to make a PR crisis a total disaster

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldvi...m=.6764a1a8700e

Tmz just obliterated him, Dr. David Dao of Louisville

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 12:31 PM)
How the hell do they assign you a seat if you are the one going to be kicked off an overbooked flight? Why wouldn't it be the last ones to check in?

My view is...if you buy a seat, you should be entitled to it (whether you have one assigned or not). To the extent it is overbooked, that is okay, but United needs to continue to increase the offer on "compensation" until people voluntarily exit the aircraft.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 09:13 AM)
http://finance.yahoo.com/quote/UAL?p=UAL

United stock already down close to 4%.

$865 million dollars just disappeared into thin air.

Over $200-400 extra they wouldn't incentivize to wait for another flight, the idiotic CEO's comments, and pissing off all of China and 90% of anyone who's ever flown United in the past. Great work.

United will probably sue Chicago Aviation and those security officers. More lawyers getting rich...

And there it is. Penny wise, pound foolish. Even if it took 10k in incentives to get this guy off of a flight, it would be worth it. Even if it turns out the guy was totally in the wrong for some reason, UAL has to know that in the age of social media and omnipresent cameras, perception is more important that reality.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 10:50 AM)
And there it is. Penny wise, pound foolish. Even if it took 10k in incentives to get this guy off of a flight, it would be worth it. Even if it turns out the guy was totally in the wrong for some reason, UAL has to know that in the age of social media and omnipresent cameras, perception is more important that reality.

Someone would have accepted at some point. It seems weird that nobody did.

SWA is routinely overbooked and full and I've never ever seen them taking someone off of a flight involuntarily.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 08:56 AM)
Someone would have accepted at some point. It seems weird that nobody did.

They screwed up by doing this AFTER the plane was boarded. Who the heck wants to get their stuff off a plane after they've boarded....on a Sunday night when the next flight is on Monday? This should have been taken care of before they boarded passengers until they got their 4 volunteers.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 10:46 AM)
My view is...if you buy a seat, you should be entitled to it (whether you have one assigned or not). To the extent it is overbooked, that is okay, but United needs to continue to increase the offer on "compensation" until people voluntarily exit the aircraft.

To be fair, that isn't a reasonable process. There has to be a cap or else the compensation could be in the millions of dollars by the time someone takes it, since the passengers know the airline has no leverage. Employees can't have that kind of discretion.

In any event, this wasn't an overbooked flight. This guy was removed for their own employee, which I think, is what is causing the outcry. If the guy won't leave because another passenger had rights to the seat, then the conversation is different.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 09:21 AM)
Oh god, now they are digging up dirt on this passenger. AWful.

Dude won $250,000 at the World Series of Poker. He just got more badass.

I don't think most reasonable people would care what this guy did prior to getting violently dragged out of the plane. That does not matter. It's not like deserves it based on what he did previously. This isn't just about him, it's about consumer rights. I don't think United understands that.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 11:00 AM)
They screwed up by doing this AFTER the plane was boarded. Who the heck wants to get their stuff off a plane after they've boarded....on a Sunday night when the next flight is on Monday? This should have been taken care of before they boarded passengers until they got their 4 volunteers.

Right, also a huge mistake. Everything was handled so poorly, which is not a surprise considering how terrible that airline is.

QUOTE (G&T @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 10:04 AM)
To be fair, that isn't a reasonable process. There has to be a cap or else the compensation could be in the millions of dollars by the time someone takes it, since the passengers know the airline has no leverage. Employees can't have that kind of discretion.

In any event, this wasn't an overbooked flight. This guy was removed for their own employee, which I think, is what is causing the outcry. If the guy won't leave because another passenger had rights to the seat, then the conversation is different.

I believe the FAA already has limits in place for involuntary bumping (if you get to your destination more than 4 hours late, you get 400% of your one way fare in cash). So we're not talking about a millions of dollars thing. In this instance, I find it hard to believe that nobody would have jumped at something like $2k in free flights to free up the seats and save a PR nightmare.

It would never get to millions because its just like anything, at some point a person will take the offer. Its impossible to imagine that if someone was offered $10k they wont take it. You could rent a car and drive to Louisville (its a 4.5 hour drive) and still be at work the next day.

The part that is odd is that no one at United thought that it would be better to figure out alternative transportation for their employees than creating a pr disaster. It was Chicago to Louisville, you have to believe there was some other way to accomplish their goal.

QUOTE (G&T @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 10:04 AM)

There was....depending on which story you believe, $800 (passengers say) or maybe $1000 (airline story), see below, they didn't come close to it.

Now, where it gets really interesting is when passengers are bumped involuntarily, like the four people on Sunday night's flight. Depending on the length of the delay, the airline may have to pay $1,350 for the inconvenience.

"If the substitute transportation is scheduled to get you to your destination more than two hours later (four hours internationally)... the compensation [is] 400% of your one-way fare, $1350 maximum."

That maximum would fit United's predicament, since the next scheduled flight to Louisville was a full day later.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/11/news/unite...ster/index.html

How to make a PR crisis a total disaster

Edited by caulfield12