Most Airlines just don't seem to care

BigSqwert

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 05:55 PM)
... it's amazing to me how many people want to see them burn to the ground over one isolated incident.

More like the straw that broke the camel's back. They are regarded by many who fly as the worst in customer service and some other stories were added in this thread to reflect that. Here's another one for you to shrug off since nothing seems to bother you.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 12:14 PM)
You're making it seem like he doesn't think there was any wrongdoing there. You can try and paint him as insensitive but the greater point is calling to question why this is the number one story in America. Why is this the media spectacle it is? There are much bigger atrocities going on and stories that should actually demand the public's attention.

This is just a crew messing up by not incentivizing anyone to voluntarily get off the plane and the Chicago Aviation Police responding in a completely inappropriate, overzealous and unacceptable fashion. That being said, there is one victim here. People just love to be righteous and jump on UA because their experience does suck. I have no problem with people responding to inadequate service and speaking out against wrong doing, but the priority and the amount of importance people associate to this story is perverted. There is one victim here and it is a rich man who suffered temporarily. No one is belittling his situation or letting UA off the hook by looking at this story in the proper context. Just because people hate UA doesn't mean this should overshadow the real issues in the country/world.

People can be mad about more than one thing at a time.

There is plenty of reason for people to be outraged about video of a guy being dragged off his seat on an airplane after being bumped. There's also plenty of reason to be outraged about a judge being shot in Chicago. Or Assad using sarin gas in Syria. Or the shooting in the school in California. Being mad about each and every one of those things is possible!

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 11:26 AM)

There is plenty of reason for people to be outraged about video of a guy being dragged off his seat on an airplane after being bumped. There's also plenty of reason to be outraged about a judge being shot in Chicago. Or Assad using sarin gas in Syria. Or the shooting in the school in California. Being mad about each and every one of those things is possible!

All good points

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 01:36 PM)
"Why did this thing achieve critical mass but not this thing?" is an interesting question, but I don't know that anyone has an answer or that there's even a "right" answer of what should get people's attention and what shouldn't and in what proportions.

IMO people are more outraged at things that seem relevant to their lives, or something that could happen to them. People have had bad experiences flying, especially with united, and so they are paying attention. Because people are clicking, more stories are being written.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 02:35 PM)
What the hell are you talking about? We're having a discussion on a baseball message board, not organizing a million man march.

This is one of the best posts in soxtalk history. Succinct, funny and downright brilliant.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 03:19 PM)
Elsewhere, the doctor at the centre of the viral incident onboard the flight in Chicago has spoken out for the first time. His lawyers, Stephen L Golan of Golan Christie Taglia, and Thomas A Demetrio of Corboy & Demetrio, issued a statement saying: "The family of Dr Dao wants the world to know that they are very appreciative of the outpouring of prayers, concern and support they have received."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/united-airlines-...-073030438.html

Another United passenger in first class recently threatened with handcuffs treatment

Oops. The guy is lawyered up. This story's 15 minutes of fame is fizzing out. Only thing left is when the man is released from the hospital and does all the talk shows for a day (if he's willing to, since he's had a troubled past). Now that he's lawyered up, it's about run the cycle. Attorney-speak will end this story. It had its run, that's why I'm surprised the United CEO issued a third statement, this one pretty condemning of the way United handled it.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 06:29 PM)
I can only speak for myself but it's hard to get worked up after a mass shooting, knowing nothing will change. After a room full of pre-schoolers were killed and literally nothing changed because of it...what else can I do about it?

No one is stopping you guys from creating a new thread to discuss these specific shootings.

I have expressed horror on here at the nutjob assholes who kill people in movie theatres and schools and been lambasted for my insensitivity on here. I was especially horrified at that asshole who shot up the theatre I believe in Colorado.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 07:01 PM)
More like the straw that broke the camel's back. They are regarded by many who fly as the worst in customer service and some other stories were added in this thread to reflect that. Here's another one for you to shrug off since nothing seems to bother you.

This is a horrific story. Really bad.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 07:26 PM)

This is another Hall of Fame post. I love your first and last sentence both. Priceless.

Very interesting piece here on whether the past of David Deo (United passenger injured when getting dragged off flight) should have been dredged up by media outlets as part of this story.

What do you folks think? Should the fact Dr. Deo 13 years ago got in SERIOUS trouble with the law been a part of this story or not?

I have mixed emotions. It seems to me it is pertinent for folks to wonder a bit about the victim of this atrocity, hence fair game to write about who Dr. Deo is and what happened in his past.

I enjoyed reading this item, however. It's not too often newspaper people take the type of position this author did. I have no forceful opinion on this either way.

http://www.freep.com/story/opinion/columni...tion/100334210/

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 02:56 PM)
Very interesting piece here on whether the past of David Deo (United passenger injured when getting dragged off flight) should have been dredged up by media outlets as part of this story.

What do you folks think? Should the fact Dr. Deo 13 years ago got in SERIOUS trouble with the law been a part of this story or not?

I have mixed emotions. It seems to me it is pertinent for folks to wonder a bit about the victim of this atrocity, hence fair game to write about who Dr. Deo is and what happened in his past.

I enjoyed reading this item, however. It's not too often newspaper people take the type of position this author did. I have no forceful opinion on this either way.

So if you are out to dinner, and someone sucker punches you and the video goes viral, you think it is fair game that your possible criminal history gets thrown out there for all to see? Even though it is completely unrelated and establishes nothing?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 02:59 PM)
So if you are out to dinner, and someone sucker punches you and the video goes viral, you think it is fair game that your possible criminal history gets thrown out there for all to see? Even though it is completely unrelated and establishes nothing?

How about if you go out to eat, get asked to leave by management, refuse and put up a stink that requires them to get the police to remove you? That is a little better comparison. People might be wondering just why you went so crazy when asked to leave, are you mentally stable? I would have raised a stink too but I think that about the time the popo arrived I might be moving a bit on my own.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 04:00 PM)
How about if you go out to eat, get asked to leave by management, refuse and put up a stink that requires them to get the police to remove you? That is a little better comparison. People might be wondering just why you went so crazy when asked to leave, are you mentally stable? I would have raised a stink too but I think that about the time the popo arrived I might be moving a bit on my own.

More like you're seated, paid for your order, then told you have to leave.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 02:56 PM)

His last name is Dao, Grag.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 02:16 PM)
And then put up a fit about it to the point where police were called. Sure.

For some reason, I can't help but think that if this happened to you, you might have caused a stink as well.

You paid for your ticket. Went to your seat and put your stuff away. Had important meetings to get to in the morning for work. And all of a sudden they ask you to get off the plane so you could take a flight the next day. You'd be 100% calm and ok with that? I know I wouldn't be.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 04:16 PM)

He didn't put up a fit until he was dragged out. And to your analogy, you ordered your food and it was put In front of you and then were told "sorry, we don't have enough for you. You have to leave now here is a raincheck" while an employee waited to eat your food

But that's not what I was talking about. I was talking about this mans completely irrelevant past brought into it

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 03:16 PM)

There's a reason that prior bad acts are generally (subject to certain exceptions) NOT admissible in a courtroom. If it's not relevant to that particular offense, it doesn't matter.

Edit because of bad proofreading...

Edited by illinilaw08

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 04:27 PM)
For some reason, I can't help but think that if this happened to you, you might have caused a stink as well.

You paid for your ticket. Went to your seat and put your stuff away. Had important meetings to get to in the morning for work. And all of a sudden they ask you to get off the plane so you could take a flight the next day. You'd be 100% calm and ok with that? I know I wouldn't be.

if you would have actually read what i typed you would have seen that I did say I would have raised a stink, but would have started moving once the police showed up. Didn't say i would be happy about it. But no, keep living in your own world, seeing and reading what you want.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 04:33 PM)
He didn't put up a fit until he was dragged out. And to your analogy, you ordered your food and it was put In front of you and then were told "sorry, we don't have enough for you. You have to leave now here is a raincheck" while an employee waited to eat your food

But that's not what I was talking about. I was talking about this mans completely irrelevant past brought into it

I agree it is irrelevant. Was just pointing out how some people would be interested to know. TMZ and places like that exist for a reason. Not that it makes United and/or the police any better off, but some people want to know. I really don't care.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 03:44 PM)
This. Simple and plain, it's irrelevant to this situation.

It's pretty scary how the internet and media have basically become the "got ya!" police always looking to malign the character of people.

Holy crap, Rabbit and I agree!

But I will say, this pre-dates the internet by a lot. I mean, rape victims have been put on trial forever because of the way they dress or whatever. And there is a reason that the Rules of Evidence have not one, but two rules that relate to when you can admit evidence of prior bad acts, or character evidence. People have always felt better about putting somebody away if they "have bad character."

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 07:59 PM)

I said I had no forceful opinion on the subject either way. Why do u hate me so? I wondered everybody's take on this.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 05:49 PM)
I said I had no forceful opinion on the subject either way. Why do u hate me so? I wondered everybody's take on this.

I don't hate you. Your arguments drive me insane but I don't hate you. The above question was a genuine question, no mocking.

The point of my question was to ask you if you feel it is fair game for anyone's past to be brought up as it was here, because you went viral for some reason. I dont think that is fair at all