4/10 Games

Sleepy Harold

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 08:46 PM)
Hate to be the debbie downer here, but I want to see Moncada cut down on his K rate. Obviously it's a very small sample, but striking out 30% of the time in AAA is a huge red flag. I'd ideally like to see him in the 20% to 25% range before calling him up.

I would hope they just keep him down there for at least two months, no matter what. Let him dominate for a while.

There will be a lot of people that want him to face Sale at the end of May though.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 09:52 PM)
I think people still care way too much about strikeouts.

In what sense? I'd wager that prospects with high K rates tend to bust far more frequently than their counterparts, as their K rates are only going to get worse at the major league level. Sure, there are exceptions, but I'm not banking on Moncada being the next Kris Bryant. I'm not panicking about this just yet since the sample size so small, but a 30% K rate in AAA (if it stays at that level) screams that the kid needs more development time IMO.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 10:15 PM)
Striking out too much is a huge deal.

He walks a ton though. The strikeouts aren't ideal but I don't believe he strikes out "too much". Even if it's like a 25% clip, what else is he doing? Is he on base like almsot 40% of the time? I expect to him to always be a pretty high strikeout guy.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 11:24 PM)
He walks a ton though. The strikeouts aren't ideal but I don't believe he strikes out "too much". Even if it's like a 25% clip, what else is he doing? Is he on base like almsot 40% of the time? I expect to him to always be a pretty high strikeout guy.

What makes you think he'd only K 25% in the majors right now? If he ends up only striking out 25% in the majors, I have no problem with that, but he's far from even that level right now. Call him up now (or even in the remote future) he's a safe bet to K around 35% of the time.

Moncada has a 29% strikeout rate in 731 minor league at-bats, 213/731.

But a 395 OBP.

I'm pretty sure everyone could live with a 30-35% K rate his first year or two in the majors as long as his OPS was over 800 and his OBP was over 350.

That's not even taking into consideration the damage he can do with his speed on the basepaths.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 09:52 PM)
I think people still care way too much about strikeouts.

It's like the other posters have said. If it stays at this rate in the MLB, it will be fine. however, high K rates in the minors may have a bigger effect on the contact rate in the MLB if it goes up and the BB rate goes down.

It isn't a death sentence right now but it isn't a positive.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 07:53 AM)
It's like the other posters have said. If it stays at this rate in the MLB, it will be fine. however, high K rates in the minors may have a bigger effect on the contact rate in the MLB if it goes up and the BB rate goes down.

It isn't a death sentence right now but it isn't a positive.

Nice summary, my thoughts exactly.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 01:12 AM)
Moncada has a 29% strikeout rate in 731 minor league at-bats, 213/731.

But a 395 OBP.

I'm pretty sure everyone could live with a 30-35% K rate his first year or two in the majors as long as his OPS was over 800 and his OBP was over 350.

That's not even taking into consideration the damage he can do with his speed on the basepaths.

Since 2014, there are only 9 times a qualified player finished with K rate above 30%, and the highest was 33%. Chris Carter, Chris Davis, Adam Dunn, and one Michael Taylor made up for most of those 9 finishes, and they are perennial .210, .220 hitters.

If Moncada comes up and hits .230 and strikes out 35% of the time in the first year, I'm sure most people here will panic instead of "being able to live with it", and wants him sent back to the minors to get more seasoning.

Edited by 2005thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 07:44 AM)
Since 2014, there are only 9 times a qualified player finished with K rate above 30%, and the highest was 33%. Chris Carter, Chris Davis, Adam Dunn, and one Michael Taylor made up for most of those 9 finishes, and they are perennial .210, .220 hitters.

If Moncada comes up and hits .230 and strikes out 35% of the time in the first year, I'm sure most people here will panic instead of "being able to live with it", and wants him sent back to the minors to get more seasoning.

Moncada won't have an average below .260 with that speed and power combination.

http://thebaseballcube.com/players/profile...P=Michael-Trout

Trout in the minors, 211/1117=19%

I doubt Moncada finishes higher than 25% in AAA. We'll see.

Tim Anderson's 193/673 at the major league level, that's closing in on 30%.