SSS Theater: Avi Garcia

chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 22, 2017 -> 01:42 PM)
Is there anything out there on exit velocity?

It's actually down .5 a MPH from 90.1 last year to 89.6 this year. What has really improved is his ability to hit balls up and his ability to get the ball in the air. He is absolutely crushing pitches up and out over the plate this year.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/player?playe...amp;season=2017

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are this good for 40 games, you would think you may be over a hump. But then again, the curious case of Michael Saunders.

Avi is going to have to be some sort of horrific not to have earned his $3 million this year. Most of us are already wrong. Go check out the thread where the Sox tendered Avi. A lot of amateur scouts don't look so good.

Edited by Dick Allen

witesoxfan

post Apr 18, 2017 -> 03:39 PM

I would trade Garcia to the Cubs for Schwarber so fast it would make your head spin.

-----------

Rowand44

post Apr 18, 2017 -> 06:02 PM

Schwarber has outproduced Avi at every level and when I say outproduced, he's destroyed his numbers at every level, he's about 2 years younger, is under contract for a few more years but you wouldn't trade Avi for Kyle because you think he's fat. Got it.

----------

southsider2k5

post Apr 19, 2017 -> 09:59 AM

Wow. Apparently the heroin epidemic has hit Soxtalk. Extending Avi? Trading Avi for Schwarber?

Step one is admitting you have a problem. Get help.

-----------------------

Oh yea, Schwarber is great and anyone suggesting that Avi is as good or better is on heroine and should get help.

Well, Schwarber was just demoted to a platoon role since he is batting .147, yes a dollar forty-seven against LH pitching and well under .200 against RH pitching.

Avi looks like he is on a different path, improving offensively and defensively this season.

Edited by miracleon35th

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ May 28, 2017 -> 05:25 AM)
witesoxfan

post Apr 18, 2017 -> 03:39 PM

I would trade Garcia to the Cubs for Schwarber so fast it would make your head spin.

-----------

Rowand44

post Apr 18, 2017 -> 06:02 PM

Schwarber has outproduced Avi at every level and when I say outproduced, he's destroyed his numbers at every level, he's about 2 years younger, is under contract for a few more years but you wouldn't trade Avi for Kyle because you think he's fat. Got it.

----------

southsider2k5

post Apr 19, 2017 -> 09:59 AM

Wow. Apparently the heroin epidemic has hit Soxtalk. Extending Avi? Trading Avi for Schwarber?

Step one is admitting you have a problem. Get help.

-----------------------

Oh yea, Schwarber is great and anyone suggesting that Avi is as good or better is on heroine and should get help.

Well, Schwarber was just demoted to a platoon role since he is batting .147, yes a dollar forty-seven against LH pitching and well under .200 against RH pitching.

Avi looks like he is on a different path, improving offensively and defensively this season.

For the record, I would still trade drive Avi to Wrigley. I am not about to let a two month sample size change that.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ May 28, 2017 -> 11:07 AM)
I'd still do it. For as bad as Schwarber has been this year, it's still such a small sample size and he would be a monster DH.

While this may be true, his entire sample size says he's completely useless against LHP.

469 career PA for Schwarzenegger and a .216 career hitter. .144 with a .519 OPS vs. Lefties in hi career. Yet he is going to be a star. How come White Sox players don't get to fail as much before being labeled? Schwarzenegger may be a great hitter some day, but right now he pretty much blows, but Theo drafted him so he is BAbe Ruth.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 28, 2017 -> 11:52 AM)
469 career PA for Schwarzenegger and a .216 career hitter. .144 with a .519 OPS vs. Lefties in hi career. Yet he is going to be a star. How come White Sox players don't get to fail as much before being labeled? Schwarzenegger may be a great hitter some day, but right now he pretty much blows, but Theo drafted him so he is BAbe Ruth.

A few playoff moonshots and hitting .400 in a Cubs World Series buys you some time.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 28, 2017 -> 06:40 AM)
For the record, I would still trade drive Avi to Wrigley. I am not about to let a two month sample size change that.

I might understand your stance if Avi was,let's say, hitting .270 with half the HR's and RBI's and being really bad in the OF but his OPS+ is 156 which is really really good and his current bWAR is 2.2. I think it is very difficult to improve that dramatically over a 2 month period. His numbers will drop , it's inevitable ,but as far as being a DFA type player , he is way past that.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 29, 2017 -> 11:16 AM)
I might understand your stance if Avi was,let's say, hitting .270 with half the HR's and RBI's and being really bad in the OF but his OPS+ is 156 which is really really good and his current bWAR is 2.2. I think it is very difficult to improve that dramatically over a 2 month period. His numbers will drop , it's inevitable ,but as far as being a DFA type player , he is way past that.

I don't think he is a DFA player. But if you give me Kyle Schwarber for him, I would take it in a nanosecond.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 29, 2017 -> 02:46 PM)
I don't think he is a DFA player. But if you give me Kyle Schwarber for him, I would take it in a nanosecond.

Considering the years both are having that's really sticking to your guns. Schwarber hasn't done anything all that impressive in the majors besides having a discerning eye. The World series is a minuscule sample size that shouldn't even be counted. Can't blame you for having no faith at all in Avi given the much bigger sample size of sucking but Avi is only 1.5 years older than Schwarber has a better arm is faster, and a better fielder.

I really don't see many positives on Schwarbers side yet. If you are basing your opinion on how bad Avi has been I still don't think Schwarber is capable of playing anywhere but perhaps 1st base in the future. He doesn't have nearly enough speed to ever be considered barely average in the OF even if he ran terrific routes.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

I would still trade Avi for Schwarber so fast it would make your head spin.

Kyle Schwarber is more than a year and a half younger than Avisail Garcia and his talent is far superior to that of Avisail Garcia. The hit tool is superior, if not by much, but his power is far superior and Schwarber could legitimately be a 40 homer threat in the coming years. In 475 plate appearances at the major league level, Schwarber has hit 23 homers. It took Garcia almost twice that long to reach the same number.

I'm incredibly happy to be wrong about Avisail thus far, but there's no question, given the choice, I'd take Schwarber over him any day.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 29, 2017 -> 05:06 PM)
Considering the years both are having that's really sticking to your guns. Schwarber hasn't done anything all that impressive in the majors besides having a discerning eye. The World series is a minuscule sample size that shouldn't even be counted. Can't blame you for having no faith at all in Avi given the much bigger smaller size of sucking but Avi is only 1.5 years older than Schwarber has a better arm is faster, and a better fielder.

I really don't see many positives on Schwarbers side yet. If you are basing your opinion on how bad Avi has been I still don't think Schwarber is capable of playing anywhere but perhaps 1st base in the future. He doesn't have nearly enough speed to ever be considered barely average in the OF even if he ran terrific routes.

The dude has 475 plate appearances at the MLB level. Garcia almost has 4 times that amount of experience. If it took Garcia that long to "figure" things out, why wouldn't you believe in Schwarber?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 30, 2017 -> 08:12 AM)
I would still trade Avi for Schwarber so fast it would make your head spin.

Kyle Schwarber is more than a year and a half younger than Avisail Garcia and his talent is far superior to that of Avisail Garcia. The hit tool is superior, if not by much, but his power is far superior and Schwarber could legitimately be a 40 homer threat in the coming years. In 475 plate appearances at the major league level, Schwarber has hit 23 homers. It took Garcia almost twice that long to reach the same number.

I'm incredibly happy to be wrong about Avisail thus far, but there's no question, given the choice, I'd take Schwarber over him any day.

Considering what I am seeing from Davidson, I really don't know that I agree with you.

Edited by iamshack

I think that the next step in his development should be the ability to draw more walks. Being more selective, will also provide him with more opportunities to hit the kinds of pitches which he can drive for extra bases. He's still swinging at too many balls out of the zone, although he has nevertheless been able to maintain his average.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 5, 2017 -> 02:51 PM)

It's not easy to compare Schwarber and Garcia, because they are different players. Schwarber was rushed to the mlb and I would argue will be the better offensive player long term than Garcia, but Garcia has improved his running. and defense to be at least average I would say.

Long term Schwarber will not be able to remain in the outfield as he does not have the speed or instincts to even be average in left. Catching is out of the questions, especially after the knee injury. I do not think Schwarber is necessarily as bad as his current slump, but I do also think he is not quite as good as the hero Cubs fans make him out to be. His BABIP is unsustainably low at .193 this season and eventually will rise, but he is unlikely to ever be a high BABIP player due to below average speed.

Although unpopular, the Cubs should have considered selling high on Schwarber this past offseason to an American League club. Long term his bat will have to be outstanding for him to have value beyond a 2 WAR per year player given how poor his defense is. I do not buy that his defense will improve, as his stocky frame is not going to get any quicker as he ages. A move to the American League would do him wonders.

Garcia is playing better than ever, is looking to be in considerably better shape and is making better contact. All are encouraging signs and he could very well be a late bloomer.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 30, 2017 -> 08:18 AM)
The dude has 475 plate appearances at the MLB level. Garcia almost has 4 times that amount of experience. If it took Garcia that long to "figure" things out, why wouldn't you believe in Schwarber?

I would give Schwarber that long . However Avi appears to get it now whereas you take the chance Schwarber might not ever get it. Right now you'd be trading a productive for a non productive player without a position .Why would you want a DH in waiting ? There are way too many guys hitting below.230 who can't field and all they can do is hit the ball far.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 5, 2017 -> 07:46 PM)
I would give Schwarber that long . However Avi appears to get it now whereas you take the chance Schwarber might not ever get it. Right now you'd be trading a productive for a non productive player without a position .Why would you want a DH in waiting ? There are way too many guys hitting below.230 who can't field and all they can do is hit the ball far.

That's being generous, you could've said below .170 and you still would've been right!