The Korea Situation; It's Very Serious

greg775

Is this North Korea situation serious or not?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Is this North Korea situation serious or not?

• Yes it is very serious; we are on brink of war
    • No, we're not going to do anything warlike
    • Maybe.

1 minute ago, StrangeSox said:

What shift? He just got a lot of what he wanted while not really giving up or committing to anything.

He was matching Trump's craziness for a while there. Then he suddenly wanted to play nice, attend the Olympics, meet with SK, etc

1 minute ago, Jenksismyhero said:

He was matching Trump's craziness for a while there. Then he suddenly wanted to play nice, attend the Olympics, meet with SK, etc

They broke their test facility so they cant test nukes for the foreseeable future. Why not get some stuff until you can get your program running again?

The other possibility is that they think they can just out maneuver Trump because he has shown a willingness to be friendly with American enemies at the expense of our friends. 

• Like 1

They seemed to have made their point with their nuclear and missile tests and got everyone else to come to the table with them? They've done this same cycle numerous times.

The other possibility is that they think they can just out maneuver Trump because he has shown a willingness to be friendly with American enemies at the expense of our friends. 

Trump hates any sort of criticism, which our allies are willing to offer, and laps up any praise directed his way, which Kim was willing to offer. Plus I expect an announcement of Trump Tower--Pyongyang within the next two years.

Edited by StrangeSox

Trump only getting along with dictators (Kim, Saudi King) and fighting with democratically elected leaders (Canada, Germany) says a lot about him.

I do think this summit was good.  I don't think much will be done, but it's at least one step away from nuclear war, so I feel that's good.

It's also quite entertaining comparing the blowhard conservatives' tweets regarding Obama reaching out to Castro or mentioning having a dialogue with dictators and their tweets regarding Trump/Kim.  The hypocrisy is astounding.  

Edited by BigSqwert

This is China getting the US to surrender their toe hold in the peninsula to them.  This is also Trump falling for the same garbage that Clinton fell for twenty years ago.  Trump will get his press conference, Kim will get his bribes, meanwhile the US will start to pull out of SK because they don't need "protection" anymore.  All of the while, NK will be working on their next nuclear facility somewhere else away from prying eyes.

16 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is China getting the US to surrender their toe hold in the peninsula to them.  This is also Trump falling for the same garbage that Clinton fell for twenty years ago.  Trump will get his press conference, Kim will get his bribes, meanwhile the US will start to pull out of SK because they don't need "protection" anymore.  All of the while, NK will be working on their next nuclear facility somewhere else away from prying eyes.

Interesting article from Vox on the US' role in maintaining global peace for the longest period on record.

https://www.vox.com/world/2018/6/12/17448866/trump-south-korea-alliance-trudeau-g7

The difference in the reactions to Trump in NK and Trump scuttling the Iran deal in the Conservative press is... really interesting to me.  The Trump administration got rid of the Iran deal because they believed Iran was violating the spirit of the deal by their influence in the region, and their conventional weapons programs.  But the one thing that the Iran deal absolutely had was a strong oversight and enforcement mechanism on nuclear weapons.

This North Korea thing has... nothing right now.  And all the talk is denuclearization with no talk about all the conventional weapons NK has pointed at Seoul.

Further, Trump is giving up some South Korean leverage and is talking about withdrawing US troops for South Korea.  In exchange, North Korea has done... nothing?  Don't get me wrong, I think that diplomacy with North Korea is sensible, because the cost of war would be catastrophic (I'm not ignoring the human rights abuses in NK).  But the US seems to be giving up quite a bit just to get NK to the table...

50 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Spot on.  

I'm not so sure this is great for China. China was dumb to let it get to this point. NK is reluctantly dependent on China. What if NK does start implementing economic reforms and seeks out money to flow in. At best, they have an ally even more difficult than Pakistan as their neighbor, but one capable of becoming more powerful if they open up.

14 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'm not so sure this is great for China. China was dumb to let it get to this point. NK is reluctantly dependent on China. What if NK does start implementing economic reforms and seeks out money to flow in. At best, they have an ally even more difficult than Pakistan as their neighbor, but one capable of becoming more powerful if they open up.

Anything that gets the US away from China's backdoor is good for China.

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Well there's good and great. The US losing influence is good for China, but ultimately the mechanism that is accomplishing it may very well turn out bad for them.

18 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

China literally released information from the Trump/Kim meeting before the US did. They are directly in control of this situation.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

1 hour ago, illinilaw08 said:

Interesting article from Vox on the US' role in maintaining global peace for the longest period on record.

https://www.vox.com/world/2018/6/12/17448866/trump-south-korea-alliance-trudeau-g7

The difference in the reactions to Trump in NK and Trump scuttling the Iran deal in the Conservative press is... really interesting to me.  The Trump administration got rid of the Iran deal because they believed Iran was violating the spirit of the deal by their influence in the region, and their conventional weapons programs.  But the one thing that the Iran deal absolutely had was a strong oversight and enforcement mechanism on nuclear weapons.

This North Korea thing has... nothing right now.  And all the talk is denuclearization with no talk about all the conventional weapons NK has pointed at Seoul.

Further, Trump is giving up some South Korean leverage and is talking about withdrawing US troops for South Korea.  In exchange, North Korea has done... nothing?  Don't get me wrong, I think that diplomacy with North Korea is sensible, because the cost of war would be catastrophic (I'm not ignoring the human rights abuses in NK).  But the US seems to be giving up quite a bit just to get NK to the table...

I think China has realized that Trump can easily be out maneuvered and with Republican's cheer leading whatever Trump does, they have a few months to make significant gains in the Korean peninsula as well as the South Chinese sea area. Potentially looking at huge Chinese influence/land/sea gains, with the US and allies getting nothing.

But I guess thats better than what Trump has done to most of our allies...

He wants North Korea to look like Seoul or Tokyo and for Japan and South Korea to pay for everything.  Of course.  Just like the wall.

Meanwhile, he keeps bragging about saving 30-40 million people from certain death...the Nobel Peace Prize is going to take a lot more substance than the PT Barnum show we have going on so far with both these egomaniacs.

This is all kind of scary. I know NK is one of the worst dictatorships ever and Jong-Un is the devil.

I don't have time to look it up. Can anybody quickly list some of the things they do to their people that are evil? I know this country is the dregs and we shouldn't be celebrating all this crap with them. It's good nuclear war has allegedly been postponed over us kissy-facing NK but I don't trust Kim Jong-Un as far as I can catapault him. Educate me quickly. Thanx.

11 minutes ago, greg775 said:

This is all kind of scary. I know NK is one of the worst dictatorships ever and Jong-Un is the devil.

I don't have time to look it up. Can anybody quickly list some of the things they do to their people that are evil? I know this country is the dregs and we shouldn't be celebrating all this crap with them. It's good nuclear war has allegedly been postponed over us kissy-facing NK but I don't trust Kim Jong-Un as far as I can catapault him. Educate me quickly. Thanx.

Wait, you've been commenting on this but have no idea what is happening in NK?  Donald is that you?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

The #1 human rights violation he is known for is there is only one TV channel broadcast in the country and it shows nothing but 2018 White Sox baseball games with the Abreu at bats edited out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

UHtLqGy.jpg

Seriously though, I was in agreement when Obama said he would talk to Kim Jong-Un, I'm in agreement with it now. 

We are now treating NK on an equal footing, which is exactly what we were warned about with Obama or something, I lose track of whether or not this is a good idea based on who the president is.

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Wait, you've been commenting on this but have no idea what is happening in NK?  Donald is that you?

I know it's very very bad there on the people; that's all I need to know.