Prospect Hot List, 4/11-17

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 12:09 PM)
Mitch Roman is intriguing to me, is he a poor man's Kevin Newman?

Roman seems to be able to hit for solid average, with zero power

Not sure about his defense though. To be any thing more than a utility player he would have to be able to stick at SS or CF defensively due to the lack of power

Still, if he could ever turn into a decent utility player that is outstanding value in the 12th round

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 04:00 PM)
Roman seems to be able to hit for solid average, with zero power

Not sure about his defense though. To be any thing more than a utility player he would have to be able to stick at SS or CF defensively due to the lack of power

Still, if he could ever turn into a decent utility player that is outstanding value in the 12th round

Baseball America called him the best defensive infielder from the Sox 2016 draft class, FWIW. Also noted for a strong arm. In fact he was drafted more around his defense than offense, from what I understand.

Last year in Great Falls he played mostly shortstop, but some 2B and even a couple games in LF. This year he's been just a 2B, which is a little odd since the shortstop position has been manned by Grant Massey (who is an org soldier) and Max Dutto (who is a good defensive SS but is riding the bench half the time). That makes me wonder about Roman's glove reputation a bit, but it's also just 11 games into the season so maybe not time to draw conclusions.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 04:17 PM)
Baseball America called him the best defensive infielder from the Sox 2016 draft class, FWIW. Also noted for a strong arm. In fact he was drafted more around his defense than offense, from what I understand.

Last year in Great Falls he played mostly shortstop, but some 2B and even a couple games in LF. This year he's been just a 2B, which is a little odd since the shortstop position has been manned by Grant Massey (who is an org soldier) and Max Dutto (who is a good defensive SS but is riding the bench half the time). That makes me wonder about Roman's glove reputation a bit, but it's also just 11 games into the season so maybe not time to draw conclusions.

Thanks for the insight! Since I've been following the minors a lot more diligently this season his numbers jumped out at me right away (albeit the small sample size to base it off of right now), but to me he's an interesting under-the-radar prospect.

So my son and I drove 2 1/2 hours from eastern NC to Norfolk to see the Knights play the Tides last Friday. It was his birthday present and we had a great time despite the loss.

I sat in the 2nd row behind the Sox dugout and got 2 balls thrown to us by Sox players. Gave 1 away to a little girl who had a ball stolen out from under her by a 25 year old, he got booed badly.

Saw Danish pitch and came away fairly impressed, he was still throwing 91-92 in the 6th and 7th innings. Made a couple of mistakes but overall looked pretty solid. Not going to be an ace but could be in the rotation down the line.

Also was impressed with Nicky Delmonica at the plate, he really has a nice stroke and hit solid line drives. Also think Danny Hayes will play some for us at some point. However, Delmonica looks like he wont be a Major League 3B glove from what I saw. He just doesnt look very smooth fielding at all out there.

Jose Vinicio is one of the smallest players I have ever seen, if he weighs 150 lbs I would be surprised. And he aint 5'11" either.

On the bad side Moncada was very disappointing. I really paid attention to him a lot and outside of having a terrible game at the plate he just looked very disinterested in playing the game. He is kind of like the kid with all the talent who is just out there going through the motions, doing his own thing. On defense there was a double into the left field corner with a runner on first and he ended up going over to third base and trying to get involved in the cutoff and neglecting 2nd base. We have the SS, him and the 3b all within 30 ft of each other. He was just doing his own thing. He did make a couple nice defensive plays so the talent is there. Also I never saw the guy smile at all, he just did not seem to be enjoying himself out there at all. Throw in the fact that he didnt sign a single autograph before the game or acknowledge any fan, he then was the only player after the game on the way to the bus who just walked right past all the kids. I can see going past the autograph hound adults but there were a few kids there afterwards with Sox shirts on trying to meet him. Hopefully he becomes more fan friendly and it was just an off night for him overall.

On the extreme positive side if there is ever a guy you want to cheer for it is Carson Fulmer. My 11 year old son wanted to meet him so bad and after the game near the bus he could not have been nicer. He signed his ball, talked to him, took a few pictures and shook my hand, gave high fives to my son and thanked us for coming. He was so great with the kids. Most of the guys were. My son got about 15 autographs on his baseball and it was a great night even though they lost.

Forgot to add that Brad Goldberg was impressive, got hit hard initially by first 2 batters but came back to get out of a jam, throws about 94 consistently.

Edited by ecupittfan