Update: Tilson BACK IN walking boot

southsider2k5

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would be very hard to justify taking away any playing time from Leury in favor of Tilson at this point. Tilson's best bet is a worse than anticipated prognosis for Leury or a quicker than expected trade of Melky

Well the good news is that we don't have to worry about cutting into Leury's and Engel's time in CF.

The bad news is that Tilson fractured his foot (again?)

Beginning to accept we won't see him in 2017, if ever.

Edited by daggins

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 06:29 PM)
lol, I was salty one day with you and predicted July 1st as a return. I then hedged and went middle of June. FML. I should have went THIS SEASON.

Yeah, this is unreal. Pretty much life is a hazard for him.

Sox can't count on him, time to move on to other options if available.

Stress fractures and stress reactions don't go away that easily... they keep returning, ask Bill Walton for one.

Feel bad for the kid but as Kenny would say "it is what it is..."

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 08:01 PM)
Sox can't count on him, time to move on to other options if available.

Stress fractures and stress reactions don't go away that easily... they keep returning, ask Bill Walton for one.

Feel bad for the kid but as Kenny would say "it is what it is..."

Thanks Mr Obvious, you're a life saver.

QUOTE (lord chas @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 08:41 PM)
Cut him and use his roster spot on someone else that can actually stay healthy

I get that we're all disappointed in him being seemingly perpetually injured. But before you advocate cutting him, let's think about how many "ready" or "near-ready" OF options there are in the system.

Also, let's think about exactly WHO is he blocking right now?

And lastly, given that we should hope that Melky will be moved for prospects, and (perhaps) Avi may be moved before he turns back into Avi, OF prospect depth may matter more than you'd think right now.

Sucks for the kid that he's injured. But again, who is he blocking right now?

QUOTE (Two-Gun Pete @ Jul 1, 2017 -> 08:38 AM)
I get that we're all disappointed in him being seemingly perpetually injured. But before you advocate cutting him, let's think about how many "ready" or "near-ready" OF options there are in the system.

Also, let's think about exactly WHO is he blocking right now?

And lastly, given that we should hope that Melky will be moved for prospects, and (perhaps) Avi may be moved before he turns back into Avi, OF prospect depth may matter more than you'd think right now.

Sucks for the kid that he's injured. But again, who is he blocking right now?

Leury, Engel, Hanson, W. Garcia are all ahead of him, even May.

Then you have the possibility of Moncada or Anderson. He's not going to be cut, but his odds of making it with the Sox now are pretty much infinitesimal.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 1, 2017 -> 09:00 AM)
Leury, Engel, Hanson, W. Garcia are all ahead of him, even May.

Then you have the possibility of Moncada or Anderson. He's not going to be cut, but his odds of making it with the Sox now are pretty much infinitesimal.

I don't disagree that his injuries have let others pass him in a theoretical depth chart.

But, given that at least one OFer in the MLB roster (Melky) WILL be gone before year's end, & perhaps 2 or more might be gone as well, having depth matters. After all, they'll still need to field a team.

But, once you get past the OFers already in Chicago, it's not as though there are any prospects to block. Basabe probably struck out again as I was typing this. Call has been just as injured as Tilson this year. Fisher's still in high A. Adolfo's numbers are in free-fall, as his Babip drops and the Ks pile up in low A. Robert is still n the DR.

So yeah, Tilson may never make it, but then again, most of us wanted Leury gone before this season, too. We'll see.

QUOTE (Two-Gun Pete @ Jul 1, 2017 -> 09:34 AM)
I don't disagree that his injuries have let others pass him in a theoretical depth chart.

But, given that at least one OFer in the MLB roster (Melky) WILL be gone before year's end, & perhaps 2 or more might be gone as well, having depth matters. After all, they'll still need to field a team.

But, once you get past the OFers already in Chicago, it's not as though there are any prospects to block. Basabe probably struck out again as I was typing this. Call has been just as injured as Tilson this year. Fisher's still in high A. Adolfo's numbers are in free-fall, as his Babip drops and the Ks pile up in low A. Robert is still n the DR.

So yeah, Tilson may never make it, but then again, most of us wanted Leury gone before this season, too. We'll see.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=m...itting/2017/ALL

Where do you get that idea about Adolfo's numbers...trending up for the past month. Also has five walks in his last ten games.

Tilson, if 100% healthy, is Pods lite at a time and place when the homer reigns supreme again. If healthy.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 1, 2017 -> 10:40 AM)

Where do you get that idea about Adolfo's numbers...trending up for the past month. Also has five walks in his last ten games.

Tilson, if 100% healthy, is Pods lite at a time and place when the homer reigns supreme again. If healthy.

Yeah, that Adolfo comment was an epic fail.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 1, 2017 -> 09:40 AM)

(Shrugs) Adolfo was >.300 on his BA just a few weeks ago.

But who cares? Almost anyone who's into his 4th professional season, & is still w/a ~29% K rate in low A is not a prospect, he's a suspect.

I do not care how "highly rated" he was when he was signed. I do not care about his age, & I do not care about any injuries, and I do not care about his so-called "tools." He's K'ing in 29% of his PAs in low A.

Now, if he can magically reduce his K rate, then Adolfo can again become a prospect.

Agreed about Tilson being Pods lite if healthy. That said, I don't believe any of the OFers in the system, apart from Robert, will be regular 3 WAR or more players.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

QUOTE (Two-Gun Pete @ Jul 1, 2017 -> 10:54 AM)
(Shrugs) Adolfo was >.300 on his BA just a few weeks ago.

But who cares? Almost anyone who's into his 4th professional season, & is still w/a ~29% K rate in low A is not a prospect, he's a suspect.

I do not care how "highly rated" he was when he was signed. I do not care about his age, & I do not care about any injuries, and I do not care about his so-called "tools." He's K'ing in 29% of his PAs in low A.

Now, if he can magically reduce his K rate, then Adolfo can again become a prospect.

So you'd give up on a guy because of a high K-rate just because it's his 4th pro season?

If you were GM, there would be lots of guys ages 19-21 leaving our system and then becoming MLB players with other teams...