4/26 Games (Giolito and Dunning)

caulfield12

QUOTE (TomPickle @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 06:07 PM)
I definitely expected a much worse line when I saw this post.

through 4 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 6 Ks

Not a great start, but far from 'f***ing garbage'

I was offering a summative review of his performance thus far, considering especially his BB rate and reportedly decreased velocity. Not exciting.

QUOTE (daggins @ Apr 27, 2017 -> 12:11 AM)
Seems like he's finding some control his last two starts, as the K's have greatly outnumbered the BB.

He's still either missing his spots, or else his stuff is flat, cuz he's getting hit hard.

His fastball velocity and spin rate is so disappointing. He has an uphill battle IMO

Giolito was going into this spring with serious mechanical changes (back to his previous, in some ways). The idea that he'd be clean and back up to ceiling track by late April was a very long shot from the start. The idea that he's "garbage" is hilariously short-sighted.

Give the guy a few months, or heck the season, to get used to throwing a different way. Pitchers are creatures of habit, and changing habits is hard stuff. This wasn't just adding a new pitch.

The one positive with that trade is that Dunning is really looking like a fast mover, but we won't know much until he hits Winston-Salem/Birmingham and continues to repeat the same results, although expecting a 0.3ish ERA isn't going to continue, obviously.

He's really piled up some flashy K numbers and impressive IP/H numbers, but let's see how he handles the challenge of the next two stops.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 10:17 AM)
Dunning has that 09 Daniel Hudson feel.

Hudson in 09-

Kannapolis 4 GS/ 22 inn

Winston Salem 8/45

Birmingham 9/ 56.1

Charlotte 5/24

Then he got called up. This isn't a year for Dunning to get called up, but I can see him flying through the system.

I prefer '12 Dylan Bundy ;)

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 07:46 PM)
Collins now sporting a .387 obp with a .182 batting average, ha.

3 outcome, can you say?

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/dunning-domi...996/t-185364810

Dunning Dominates Versus Former Organization

Dunning could be on the move again soon. The University of Florida product was the only college pitcher taken among last year's 30 picks to not reach at least Class A Advanced, and with the way he's taken to the Sally League, he might be a candidate to move to Winston-Salem before long. He's trying to stay focused on his next outing with the Intimidators, though. Weather permitting, of course.

Dunning's FB was actually around 92-93, per raBBit:

Brian Bilek‏

@BrianBilek_

Following

More

It's been tossed around that Dunning was throwing 96-97 this morning. That's not the case. He was 92-93. #WhiteSox

Guys, Giolito is tinkering with his mechanics. It is going to take him some time to get those ironed out. We all wanted a rebuild, we have to be patient. The good news is that he's striking out more batters in his last two starts, which, IMO means that his velocity is coming back. Once he gets his mechanics ironed out, then he can come up. He's showing signs of improvement, and Charlotte is a bandbox. I don't think he should come up until Sept. at the earliest, and maybe not until 2018, with the only exception being if they want him to work directly with Cooper and don't care about immediate results, and he doesn't either because both team and player knows it is a process.