2017 NFL Draft Thread

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 27, 2017 -> 10:50 AM)
The Browns have like 13 picks in this draft. That alone is worth watching.

They should take like 5 qb's. One has to be good.

And they can just each rotate drives every game. If each QB gets at least 2 drives/game, one of them is guaranteed to develop into a 16-game starter.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 27, 2017 -> 10:42 AM)
Lotsa teams want to trade down. Not a lot want to trade up. Possibly nobody, aside from 1-2 pick swapping.

I feel like every team's fan base every year wants their team to trade down. Easier said than done.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 27, 2017 -> 10:57 AM)
I feel like every team's fan base every year wants their team to trade down. Easier said than done.

Especially when someone has to trade into the top 5. Very expensive for teams.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 27, 2017 -> 11:02 AM)
Especially when someone has to trade into the top 5. Very expensive for teams.

And all the stupid teams already did it in the past few years. Ugh.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 27, 2017 -> 11:54 AM)
I don't like that Trubinsky only started 13 college games. I don't know how to evaluate QBs, but I like experience.

Your CFB team's QB in '98-'99 did just fine in the NFL and his stats were average.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 27, 2017 -> 08:05 AM)
I sticking with Adams or Lattimore. (Then a trade up into the latter part of the first round to grab one of the QBs.) The second part is wishful thinking.

I'd love a stud CB, but Lattimore has the injury issues that concern me (and I don't know that he is "elite"). I'd go with Jamal Adams (but Niners might take him) or Thomas...if it isn't QB and I'm totally fine going QB. Would not be surprised if we danced with the Browns.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 27, 2017 -> 08:54 AM)
I don't like that Trubinsky only started 13 college games. I don't know how to evaluate QBs, but I like experience.

I don't like the reports that the Bears have literally spent zero time with Trubisky. Just doesn't make sense to me. We don't have a franchise QB, we should maximize time with everyone. I recognize the whole "gamesmanship" that goes on with the draft, but darn it...we should leave no stone unturned when it comes to QB (especially a guy who easily could be the 1st QB drafted).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 27, 2017 -> 12:27 PM)
I don't like the reports that the Bears have literally spent zero time with Trubisky. Just doesn't make sense to me. We don't have a franchise QB, we should maximize time with everyone. I recognize the whole "gamesmanship" that goes on with the draft, but darn it...we should leave no stone unturned when it comes to QB (especially a guy who easily could be the 1st QB drafted).

Trubisky told Dan Patrick 2 weeks ago that the Bears worked him out. He told Biggs yesterday he didn't visit or workout. So strange.

The real question for the Bears is are they willing to drop down to 12. A lot of rumors out there about the Browns wanting to move up from 12 to get their choice of QB. The Browns could potentially panic and believe that the Bears/Jaguars would take a QB and that trading for the Titans pick is too risky. A good portion of mocks have Browns taking Trubisky, it just ranges from them trading up to getting him at 12. The problem with 12 is at that point a lot of the top defensive guys are gone and the Bears arent an organization I see taking a chance on Conley (although perhaps if they move down further or with their 2nd round pick.)

It just seems like the pieces done match up, unless you get a team who really wants Fournette and is worried that they will miss out by a pick (ie Jets wanting to jump Jacksonville).

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 27, 2017 -> 11:53 AM)
Trubisky told Dan Patrick 2 weeks ago that the Bears worked him out. He told Biggs yesterday he didn't visit or workout. So strange.

Really weird. You wonder if there is more to the story. You also had the reports (via Gabriel) that Bears aren't high on Trubisky. Is it some smoke screen to try and keep people (namely Browns) who want him from thinking Bears are competition (since if the Browns perceive us as competition and they are that high on him, they just take him @ #1). I still think that nothing will make me more excited than drafting a QB. They may suck...but at least I got a young player who could (hell if I know if they will) change the face of this franchise. None of the other positions can do that in this league, imo.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 27, 2017 -> 03:02 PM)
Really weird. You wonder if there is more to the story. You also had the reports (via Gabriel) that Bears aren't high on Trubisky. Is it some smoke screen to try and keep people (namely Browns) who want him from thinking Bears are competition (since if the Browns perceive us as competition and they are that high on him, they just take him @ #1). I still think that nothing will make me more excited than drafting a QB. They may suck...but at least I got a young player who could (hell if I know if they will) change the face of this franchise. None of the other positions can do that in this league, imo.

Both Kiper and McCshay have Browns taking Trubisky #1 in their final mock. The more I see all the mocks connecting Browns to Trubisky, the more that it makes sense the Browns play it safe and just draft him #1.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 27, 2017 -> 01:09 PM)
Both Kiper and McCshay have Browns taking Trubisky #1 in their final mock. The more I see all the mocks connecting Browns to Trubisky, the more that it makes sense the Browns play it safe and just draft him #1.

It also means Jamal Adams is on the board for the Bears @ 3 (presuming San fran isn't passing on Garrett). If Tru goes #1, then only way I can see someone moving up to 3 is to jump Jacksonville for Fournette.

The one bad thing for the Bears is that next years draft supposedly has the superior QB talent, but unless youre the browns its hard to consistently get top 2 picks. They could also just wait till round 3-4 and grab a guy like Peterman.

(edit)

New rumors are Garrett will be #1 and Jags may take Watson.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 27, 2017 -> 01:34 PM)
The one bad thing for the Bears is that next years draft supposedly has the superior QB talent, but unless youre the browns its hard to consistently get top 2 picks. They could also just wait till round 3-4 and grab a guy like Peterman.

Peterman was impressive from what I saw on Gruden's QB camp. Seemed pretty sharp. But yes, I think the struggle is, next years draft class is great, doesn't do much good for us, unless we suck for another year (which is definitely possible depending on what Glennon does). And none of us know what the current crop does the next year. I think a year ago, looking at Watson and Kizer, there was possibility of two pretty darn good QB's. Watson didn't see his accuracy improve (despite a strong year) or his picks decline significantly and Kizer had his own issues.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 27, 2017 -> 03:34 PM)

(edit)

New rumors are Garrett will be #1 and Jags may take Watson.

Kiper and McShay just said Trubisky will go #1 in their latest mock.

It'd be kind of weird for Jacksonville to take Watson considering Bortles isn't a complete flop (yet).

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 27, 2017 -> 03:41 PM)
Kiper and McShay just said Trubisky will go #1 in their latest mock.

It'd be kind of weird for Jacksonville to take Watson considering Bortles isn't a complete flop (yet).

Browns beat writer tweeted that Browns are taking Garrett.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 27, 2017 -> 03:09 PM)

I don't understand this. The Browns have a ton of draft picks and I don't think Tennessee wants to pick at #5. Why don't the Browns trade for #5 with their #12 and a second round pick instead?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 27, 2017 -> 03:42 PM)
Browns beat writer tweeted that Browns are taking Garrett.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 27, 2017 -> 03:44 PM)
I don't understand this. The Browns have a ton of draft picks and I don't think Tennessee wants to pick at #5. Why don't the Browns trade for #5 with their #12 and a second round pick instead?

Its hard to tell. The newest stuff from Browns writers is #1 is Garrett and that they want to trade down from 12. If both of these things are true, then it would seem more likely that the Browns arent in love with any Qb and are just willing to take their chances on whoever is left in the back end of the 1st.

That being said, right now a lot of teams probably are trying to hide their true intentions so its impossible to tell what is actually happening.