2017 NFL Draft Thread

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't believe Beigle went so high, was going to mention him ad a maybe in the 4th but someone I hoped the bears took in 5th.

Not as much of a physical specimen as tj watt but arguably more productive and just had a way of making an impact.

Rb is puzzling it's not just Howard, it's 3 straight years of rbs. They still have langford and there are always vet rbs to take snaps who come cheap.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 29, 2017 -> 01:26 PM)
5 picks, only 1 defensive player, and 3 guys from D2 schools. I hope Pace is as smart as he thinks he is.

Pretty confident that he is not. This was a bad draft. I really hope I am wrong, but I doubt it.

I can't get over how few picks we ended up with. We badly needed to accumulate picks. This team has too many holes.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 29, 2017 -> 01:26 PM)
5 picks, only 1 defensive player, and 3 guys from D2 schools. I hope Pace is as smart as he thinks he is.

Considering his last two drafts second round on were pretty good, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt right now.

Chicago Bears

1 (2). North Carolina QB Mitchell Trubisky

2 (45). Ashland TE Adam Shaheen

4 (112). Alabama S Eddie Jackson

4 (119). North Carolina A&T RB Tarik Cohen

5 (147). Kutztown OG Jordan Morgan

Overview: The Bears’ extremely ill-advised, desperation-driven one-spot climb for Trubisky cost them pick Nos. 67, 111, and a 2018 third-rounder. At UNC, Trubisky spent two years backing up Marquise Williams, who couldn’t beat out “Joe Callahan” as a Packers camp arm last year. In round two, Chicago dropped from No. 36 to 45 to add Nos. 119, 197, and a 2018 fourth-rounder. They wasted No. 45 on D-2 Frankenstein lookalike Shaheen. Ballhawking safety Jackson was my favorite Bears pick, although Jackson enters the NFL with significant injury concerns, and moving up for him cost Chicago the No. 197 pick in exchange for just a five-spot climb. Fellow fourth-rounder Cohen is a fun guy to watch, but he has almost no chance to make an NFL offensive impact at 5-foot-7, 179. Remember Garrett Wolfe? 60% of the Bears’ draft came from sub-Division-1 schools. Ultimately, the class will pay off if Trubisky turns into a franchise quarterback. Yet there is absolutely no way 13 college starts provide enough evidence to suggest Trubisky is a good-probability bet. It’s more likely that this was the worst draft in the entire league.

Grade: F

Per Rotoworld........Bears get only F in NFC

Drafts grades a day after the draft are pointless.

That being said, that Bears draft looks awful. He pretty much gambled on every pick. He could get lucky with Trubisky, but I don't think Pace knows what he is doing.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ May 1, 2017 -> 08:22 AM)
Drafts grades a day after the draft are pointless.

That being said, that Bears draft looks awful. He pretty much gambled on every pick. He could get lucky with Trubisky, but I don't think Pace knows what he is doing.

It does look awful, for sure, but then you realize you are comparing it to Todd McShay and Mel Kiper Jr. If the Bears picked the best player available on their board, it would be considered a great draft. They both know a lot more about these guys than I do, and know a lot more about them then most, but if they were can't miss gurus, they wouldn't be working for ESPN. Still, when you are drafting 3, and only take 2 guys really the majority of people ever have seen play, it is going to be dissappointing.

Pace has his neck on the line. You have to like the boldness, even if you don't agree with the trades or the picks. He isn't just risking his job with this draft, he is risking his future as an executive. If it truly is as bad as many think, he's done. He's a scout at best. If he has a QB that the Bears can ride to multiple playoffs, a division 2 Gronk, a Darren Sproles Jr., and a safety whose leg has healed and was a steal in round 4, you will have to give him the benefit of any doubt for a long while. He'll be the new Theo.

I have been supportive of Pace and I have admittedly liked his move to identify his franchise QB and go get him but as the other picks came through and I have had time to think on them I am really worried about his draft as a whole.

It feels like an Emery draft where he is trying to find a diamond in the rough with each pick instead of drafting a nice safe pick that makes sense for the team right now. His draft definitely felt like a scout was running it and we have seen where that gets us in previous years. I will still hope for the best though and wait to see what these guys can do. It still all will hinge upon Trubisky, if he hits with him all the other picks will be forgiven if they bust. That may not be right but thats what will happen.

To me the only reason it looks terrible is its 5 players and 3 of them were rounds 5-7.

Looking back, I think the biggest missed opportunity in my opinion (repeating myself) was Pace not using his first draft to accumulate as many picks as possible. We had a nice draft last year, but that's because of 3 players out of 9, and that's about right. And now we are playing from behind again next year.

2015 was the time to trade down, when his staff wasn't set. Could have given us a surplus of picks to continue to play with in the future.

Fine with trading up for Trubisky, but we look like a team that will constantly be in the desperation position in the draft instead of comfortable playing the long game.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 1, 2017 -> 09:07 AM)
Peter King was embedded in the 49ers draft room. Interesting read to see how a draft plays out, but also adds fire to the argument that Pace got played and was mostly bidding against himself when trading up.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/01/san-fra...ster-peter-king

You know, all that says to me is the majority of the beating the Bears are taking is over signing Glennon. I hate Glennon because I think he'll just be Ryan Mallet or Matt Flynn pt infinity, but part of this is the NFL constantly being shocked at what quarterbacks make.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 1, 2017 -> 09:13 AM)
You know, all that says to me is the majority of the beating the Bears are taking is over signing Glennon. I hate Glennon because I think he'll just be Ryan Mallet or Matt Flynn pt infinity, but part of this is the NFL constantly being shocked at what quarterbacks make.

At the very least, it allows the Bears not to rush Trubisky. They weren't going to win anything anyway in 2017. Free agency was quantity not quality. They are playing for 2018, and probably at least one of Pace/Fox won't be there, maybe both.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 1, 2017 -> 09:17 AM)
At the very least, it allows the Bears not to rush Trubisky. They weren't going to win anything anyway in 2017. Free agency was quantity not quality. They are playing for 2018, and probably at least one of Pace/Fox won't be there, maybe both.

I don't like how they invited Glennon to their official draft party though if they knew Trubisky was such a possibility.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 1, 2017 -> 09:25 AM)
I don't like how they invited Glennon to their official draft party though if they knew Trubisky was such a possibility.

Yeah, that was not a good look. But Glennon is the still the starter, and who knows, he may ultimately still be the best QB on the roster.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 1, 2017 -> 09:13 AM)

I have no problems with the Bears having a veteran QB starting while a very raw rookie sits the bench as long as needed/possible. The money really doesn't matter, as they are so far under the cap, who cares. The Bears had just really hope that the kid is worth the extra draft picks they gave up to get him. They are so thin everywhere on this team that by losing in free agency and then giving away so many picks, and making almost all of their picks extremely raw, they are pushing this rebuild back a season or two, IF this talent comes through.