2017 NFL Draft Thread

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually like all of the picks. They didn't have enough of them though which happens when you trade up for a QB. They did sign 3 UDFA's that could make the team though. I don't understand the national narrative that says Pace will get fired though. He had a great draft last year. Taking the QB this high buys him more time. Pace absolutely gets a 2nd head coach while in Chicago. If Trubisky is terrible, Pace will end up getting fired but we are like 3-4 years from that IMO.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 1, 2017 -> 10:14 AM)
I actually like all of the picks. They didn't have enough of them though which happens when you trade up for a QB. They did sign 3 UDFA's that could make the team though. I don't understand the national narrative that says Pace will get fired though. He had a great draft last year. Taking the QB this high buys him more time. Pace absolutely gets a 2nd head coach while in Chicago. If Trubisky is terrible, Pace will end up getting fired but we are like 3-4 years from that IMO.

The QB could buy him time, while dooming Fox. But if they are 3-13 again, and the division 2 guys don't look like pieces moving forward, he's in a lot of trouble. The roster is becoming almost all his. They have to show some major improvement, even though they can still do that and suck.

Can someone clarify something for me.

The Peter King article at different point mentions the bears trading a 2017 3rd and 4th and a 2018 Fourth, then later in the article says its a 2017 3rd and 4th and a 2018 4th.

I've seen multiple "bears basically traded a 3rd rounder after they recouped their picks trading down".

What is accurate?

QUOTE (bmags @ May 1, 2017 -> 10:41 AM)

The Peter King article at different point mentions the bears trading a 2017 3rd and 4th and a 2018 Fourth, then later in the article says its a 2017 3rd and 4th and a 2018 4th.

I've seen multiple "bears basically traded a 3rd rounder after they recouped their picks trading down".

What is accurate?

I hate this framing because they could have not traded up in the first and still traded down later and ended up with a lot more picks overall.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 1, 2017 -> 10:41 AM)

What is accurate?

They traded 2017 1st, 3rd, and 4th and 2018 3rd rounder for #2. Then when they traded down later, they acquired a 4th rounder in 2018. Next year's picks: 1st, 2nd, 4th, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th.

That Trubisky trade is so dumb. They gave up THREE additional picks to move up ONE spot when it wasn't even certain that SF would take him or that there was a better offer for that pick.

Trading additional picks is the last thing the Bears should be doing right now. Putting all their chips into Trubisky when they have so many other needs is absolutely baffling to me.

Edited by ChiSoxFanMike

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 1, 2017 -> 10:46 AM)
They traded 2017 1st, 3rd, and 4th and 2018 3rd rounder for #2. Then when they traded down later, they acquired a 4th rounder in 2018. Next year's picks: 1st, 2nd, 4th, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th.

Thanks, I misspoke in my earlier post, he described the 2018 pick at different points as a 3rd and other times a 4th.

Yours is what I thought it was.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ May 1, 2017 -> 10:48 AM)
That Trubisky trade is so dumb. They gave up THREE additional picks to move up ONE spot when it wasn't even certain that SF would take him or that there was a better offer for that pick.

Trading additional picks is the last thing the Bears should be doing right now. Putting all their chips into Trubisky when they have so many other needs is absolutely baffling to me.

The only way they'd be certain someone else had an offer on the pick is if another team traded up and they lost out on who they wanted.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 1, 2017 -> 08:14 AM)

I think the thing that gives me hope is that Pace really had a great draft last year. It takes time...I'm not going to call out the mob because of draft grades now...draft grades a year from now and 3 years from now, sure, then I'll get upset (or happy), depending on the result. This is a process and I believe in being patient. Pace could be awful, but when you pick a guy to be GM, you need to give him time and you need to buy into the LT plan. You constantly flip direction and you will always be mediocre. Best franchises have consistency / continuity, and while they probably have smart people, I don't know how much of the success is driven by distinctively better smarts vs. just the benefits of consistency (i.e, scouts know what coaches need and what fits said "system", etc.). I'm not trying to downplay smarts, but luck plays a fact, especially in an early window of success. I think it is easier to have sustained winning, when you have consistent systems, processes, etc.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 1, 2017 -> 10:42 AM)
I hate this framing because they could have not traded up in the first and still traded down later and ended up with a lot more picks overall.

I do too, they could have easily seen a 2017 draft where they had 10+ picks, instead they had 5.

But, the main thing I was getting at was what was the correct 2018 compensation we gave up.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 1, 2017 -> 08:54 AM)
The only way they'd be certain someone else had an offer on the pick is if another team traded up and they lost out on who they wanted.

A year from now, we are all going to be excited because we stocked up on picks next draft (you can book it).

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ May 1, 2017 -> 10:48 AM)

Blame the Bears for winning that meaningless game last year against the 49ers.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 1, 2017 -> 11:07 AM)
Blame the Bears for winning that meaningless game last year against the 49ers.

Yeah but the Bears also lost like every other close game, so the Bears actually could have had a few more wins.

I guess we should just be thankful the Bears werent like 6-10 and then traded next years first.

OK, what the hell:

Chicago, picking third, badly wanted someone. The Bears and Niners had an understanding that if Chicago’s man was still on the board after Cleveland picked (Chicago GM Ryan Pace wouldn’t tell Lynch who Player X was; the Niners figured it was Thomas), the Bears would give at least two third-round picks to move from three to two.

Why on earth is this understanding already out there, before the draft begins? Pace played his intentions before the cards were dealt. He opened the door for Lynch to drum up some fake interest in the 2nd pick, knowing full well that Pace was willing to pay more for it. What a colossal, moronic mistake by Pace.

Last year, right after the draft, I saw pundits rating the Rams draft an A-. What would those same pundits say today? On the flipside, they all ripped last years Eagle's draft...which I think if you had a do-over, people would agree that Wentz has some real upside and was probably worthy of going where he did (yes, he struggled the second half of the year...but the talent was certainly on display).

What if the Bears picked Allen @ #3...most people would have been happy...but fast-forward and watch the draft...we would find out that we could have traded down ~15 picks and be able to get that same guy (which is a pretty steep disconnect). Had we picked Allen @ 3...we technically would have overdrafted him by far more value then what we gave up to move from 3 to 2. If Pace believed Trubisky was the franchise QB, then I don't disagree with the notion that you don't sit around and wait for that guy to get there, you ensure you get that guy. Last year a lot of people ripped the move up to get Floyd...reality was, if we hadn't made that move, he would have been taken and well, Pace was right on getting Floyd (at least after one year it looks that way...of course that could all change).

It all depends on who/what you believe. Rapaport was just on the Score and said there was absolutely another team pushing the 49ers for their pick, King says the Bears got played. According to the value chart, the Bears didnt overpay, and it was on par with what the Eagles gave up for Wentz(who threw 9 more college passes than Trubisky), but some people think the value chart is more of a guide and not really a bible.

Everyone has said it, Trubisky is Pace's horse, we just have to see if he was worth it.

I will say this...one thing, more then anything concerns me...it is the Pace/Fox disconnect. If Fox & Pace aren't on the same page, then one of them needs to be shown the door. Why have a season with a coach who is on the way out...especially when you have a young QB who needs to get developed (and it would behoove us to learn from the Cutler fiasco and provide said QB with a consistent system, etc). I think, more then any position, when you take a QB that early, you need to be on board with your offensive system and coaches, to ensure you lay out the best foundational path for success.

If Fox wasn't that (and I can understand that answer), then we should have moved on from him in the off-season.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 1, 2017 -> 11:52 AM)
It all depends on who/what you believe. Rapaport was just on the Score and said there was absolutely another team pushing the 49ers for their pick, King says the Bears got played. According to the value chart, the Bears didnt overpay, and it was on par with what the Eagles gave up for Wentz(who threw 9 more college passes than Trubisky), but some people think the value chart is more of a guide and not really a bible.

Everyone has said it, Trubisky is Pace's horse, we just have to see if he was worth it.

I tend to believe there were other teams interested. The Bears had to be fielding calls about their pick.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 1, 2017 -> 11:52 AM)

Not sure where you got the Wentz stat, but Wentz threw 612 passes (over 4 seasons). Trubisky threw 572 (over 3 seasons).

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/player...on-wentz-1.html

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/player...trubisky-1.html

40 passes isnt really a big deal, but the knock about Trubisky is that he only started 1 season so that there was not a lot of game tape and you couldnt really see how teams would have adjusted the next year. The ACC seemed to also have higher pass stats than other leagues last year, 8 Qbs had over 60% completion, 5 over 3500 yards. http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/confer...16-leaders.html

No one can really predict how any of it translates, but in all my years of following NFL draft, I feel like the Bears draft is at the top end of getting universally knocked. Now again, doesnt mean anything, but its just a combination of a lot of things that make me worry about where the Bears are going, because (in my opinion) Trubisky is likely going to have a different coach/front office within the next 3 years.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 1, 2017 -> 12:09 PM)
I tend to believe there were other teams interested. The Bears had to be fielding calls about their pick.

I would have to imagine that the Bears would have heard from the same teams calling about #3 as the 49ers heard about for #2.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 1, 2017 -> 12:10 PM)
Not sure where you got the Wentz stat, but Wentz threw 612 passes (over 4 seasons). Trubisky threw 572 (over 3 seasons).

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/player...on-wentz-1.html

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/player...trubisky-1.html

40 passes isnt really a big deal, but the knock about Trubisky is that he only started 1 season so that there was not a lot of game tape and you couldnt really see how teams would have adjusted the next year. The ACC seemed to also have higher pass stats than other leagues last year, 8 Qbs had over 60% completion, 5 over 3500 yards. http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/confer...16-leaders.html

No one can really predict how any of it translates, but in all my years of following NFL draft, I feel like the Bears draft is at the top end of getting universally knocked. Now again, doesnt mean anything, but its just a combination of a lot of things that make me worry about where the Bears are going, because (in my opinion) Trubisky is likely going to have a different coach/front office within the next 3 years.

Y2Jimmy leading me astray. But I'm not really gonna quibbleover what equates to one more game of throwing

Wentz was injured a lot in college, that was a big concern