Fangraphs Article About Tommy Kahnle

OmarComing25

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 12:00 PM)
Didn't we trade for him? Says we picked him up after DFA

We traded Yency Almonte for him, currently Colorado Rockies' #16 prospect in what was beginning to look like a regrettable move as Almonte has pitched very well

Good to see Kahnle starting to produce as we were wishing we kept Almonte as recently as a few weeks ago

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 12:49 PM)
Just goes to show, developing pitchers takes time and as they work through it the most incremental change can suddenly make them dominant.

Our bullpen could potentially have some serious flamethrowers once Burdi makes it to the majors

Jones, Kahnle and Burdi all can top 100

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 12:56 PM)
Our bullpen could potentially have some serious flamethrowers once Burdi makes it to the majors

Jones, Kahnle and Burdi all can top 100

Reynaldo Lopez can also hit 100 if they choose to go that route for him.

9:56 ChiSox2020: Wow I knew Kahnle looked good but your article opened my eyes. Big trade piece? He throws 100…

9:56 Jeff Sullivan: You naturally have to think about any of these guys as trade pieces but I think it’s less fun to focus on that aspect

9:56 Jeff Sullivan: If Kahnle is still throwing strikes and dealing in July, boom, you have a right-handed Chapman to move

9:57 Jeff Sullivan: Incidentally, I know it’s an embarrassingly small sample of data, but Kahnle’s stuff is obvious and I like the mechanical correction he made. I’m speculating that he’s gotten much better

link

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 03:11 PM)
Right handed Champan? Come on. I get the guy has improved and all, but you are talking about a guy who is in his own world.

Obviously a bit of hyperbole, but he did write that Kahnle's perceived velocity this season is 2nd to Chapman. That's a pretty good sign.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 03:21 PM)
Obviously a bit of hyperbole, but he did write that Kahnle's perceived velocity this season is 2nd to Chapman. That's a pretty good sign.

If the kid puts up an entire years of this, MAYBE we can start to drop Champan's name. MAYBE. Realistically, the odds are about a thousand times better that this month is a fluke, and the kid will fall back to earth soon, versus his being in Aroldis's league.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 03:31 PM)
If the kid puts up an entire years of this, MAYBE we can start to drop Champan's name. MAYBE. Realistically, the odds are about a thousand times better that this month is a fluke, and the kid will fall back to earth soon, versus his being in Aroldis's league.

I'm not saying he's in Chapman's league at all, just saying there are very encouraging signs in his performance. You can't fake increased velocity.

It should be mentioned that this was a chat, and I agree that the only reason he mentioned Chapman is that he was second in velocity to him, and is right handed. I think he probably ran into same situation i'm in, where you struggle to right now think of a high-velo RH bullpen piece...easier to just say RH chapman.

edit: Kimbrel!

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 03:42 PM)
It should be mentioned that this was a chat, and I agree that the only reason he mentioned Chapman is that he was second in velocity to him, and is right handed. I think he probably ran into same situation i'm in, where you struggle to right now think of a high-velo RH bullpen piece...easier to just say RH chapman.

edit: Kimbrel!

Why not start with his teammate Nate Jones?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 03:31 PM)

If Kahnle pitched an entire season like this his numbers would be insane

In 50 innings he would have roughly 107 k's

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 04:00 PM)
Why not start with his teammate Nate Jones?

Again, I would give him a break. It's a chat, someone is asking trade value, and he's talking about a 100 mph right hander who is striking everyone out with fastballs, and Chapman was traded at the deadline last year. He's not creating a draft comp for the guy.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 04:07 PM)
Again, I would give him a break. It's a chat, someone is asking trade value, and he's talking about a 100 mph right hander who is striking everyone out with fastballs, and Chapman was traded at the deadline last year. He's not creating a draft comp for the guy.

Right. It was definitely a bit tongue in cheek just to say how awesome Kahnle has been so far.