The White Sox are a half-game out. Should they have kept Chris Sale an

whitesoxjr27

In November, I descended down the rocky slopes of Mt. Take with stone tablets, and I announced to the world that The White Sox Should Think Hard Before Trading Chris Sale. The reasoning went something like this: Sale is excellent, cheap, and excellent. He’s a fine head start on a would-be contender, especially one that has players like Jose Quintana, Adam Eaton, and Jose Abreu. Maybe there was a way to patch the team’s holes and give it one last go.

After the world fawned at how much the White Sox extracted from the Red Sox and Nationals in separate trades, I shut up because I’m timid and want people to like me. The question still bugged me, though. When you start with Sale, Eaton, and Quintana, haven’t you done most of the heavy lifting? The White Sox were doing well in the fantasy draft of real life.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2017/5/2/15516...-sweet-nothings

The season is 1/8 of the way over. It's literally like saying an NFL team that is 1-1 and currently in a WC spot is "contending".

Get back to me at the halfway point.

This article is pure garbage FYI, the writer has no clue about the Sox.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (daggins @ May 2, 2017 -> 04:39 PM)
If you read the article, he says he was wrong then and isn't changing his mind now. He likes the trades.

Yeah, overall I thought this was a sane take. This team is fool's gold like last year and the author knows it.

QUOTE (daggins @ May 2, 2017 -> 04:39 PM)
If you read the article, he says he was wrong then and isn't changing his mind now. He likes the trades.

Yup. All of us(including myself) should have read the article before commenting. Whoops.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 2, 2017 -> 04:43 PM)
Yup. All of us(including myself) should have read the article before commenting. Whoops.

I think the title and formatting kinda led us to answer.

QUOTE (Donaldo @ May 2, 2017 -> 06:41 PM)
Starting pitchers only play once every five days. No matter how good Chris Sale was/is, he has ZERO impact on 80% of his team's games.

Making that trade was the right thing to do.

Right thing to do, but it's really valuable to the team when a starter can go 220 innings. There's a carryover to the other games when one guy is going 7-8 innings a lot of the time.

Starting pitchers only play once every five days. No matter how good Chris Sale was/is, he has ZERO impact on 80% of his team's games.

I'm not a big fan of this logic. Not to say the trade was bad, but the whole % thing. Sure, starters only play 1/5 of the games approximately, but they affect those games a whole lot more than any single position player. A good starter can also just dominate a playoff series. I'd be interested to see if there is any study/statistical analysis on this subject.

Hmm. Addressing your conclusion about starting pitchers and their importance. I think you are missing something.

You could say that about every starting pitcher on the roster only being involved in 20% of the games. Which leads to a logical conclusion that starting pitching has minimal impact, which we all know is false. Starting pitching is important. And while each starting pitcher is only involved in 20% of the games, having guaranteed bad starts every 5 days is bad. Having great starts every five days is better. Now line up five quality pitchers and you have quality starts every day. Line up five horrible pitchers and you have horrible starts every day.

Now, having said that, ask me when this team is 5 games under .500 in July about the trade. I agree that making the trade was the right thing to do.