BA top 100 update

maxjusttyped

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ May 11, 2017 -> 08:27 AM)
1- Yoan Moncada

23- Reynaldo Lopez

24- Michael Kopech

40- Lucas Giolito

51- Zack Collins

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/top-...hOMrYRsRpOEL.97

Surprised Carson Fulmer isn't on this list. I understand why Burdi isn't, but think he should be. Dunning and Hansen have to be close to the top 100.

QUOTE (kevo880 @ May 11, 2017 -> 10:28 AM)
Surprised Carson Fulmer isn't on this list. I understand why Burdi isn't, but think he should be. Dunning and Hansen have to be close to the top 100.

Fulmer did a lot of damage to his standing last year. He is going to have to do some big things to over come that for rankings sake. Hansen has to be a fun debate for these kinds of lists. I mean he has ace stuff, put a lot of work to do to get there. He has turned around, but still has big issues when he gets into about the middle of games keeping his mechanics and stuff.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 11, 2017 -> 09:36 AM)
Fulmer did a lot of damage to his standing last year. He is going to have to do some big things to over come that for rankings sake. Hansen has to be a fun debate for these kinds of lists. I mean he has ace stuff, put a lot of work to do to get there. He has turned around, but still has big issues when he gets into about the middle of games keeping his mechanics and stuff.

Agreed, but for Lopez to be at #23 and Fulmer not ranked just doesn't seem right to me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 11, 2017 -> 10:58 AM)
I know the shine is off of Fulmer because of last year, but it is my guess they have pretty similar careers.

Fulmer has been pretty solid so far in AAA this season, and I think he is starting to redeem himself after being rushed to the majors last year.

If he keeps pitching like he is capable of he should be in the top 100 midseason for sure

Dunning and Hansen are just outside the top 100 I think

QUOTE (steveno89 @ May 11, 2017 -> 11:00 AM)
Fulmer has been pretty solid so far in AAA this season, and I think he is starting to redeem himself after being rushed to the majors last year.

If he keeps pitching like he is capable of he should be in the top 100 midseason for sure

Dunning and Hansen are just outside the top 100 I think

I wonder if Fulmer has worked himself into being the next starting pitcher called up?

QUOTE (kevo880 @ May 11, 2017 -> 10:52 AM)
Agreed, but for Lopez to be at #23 and Fulmer not ranked just doesn't seem right to me.

I like Fulmer but Lopez has much better stuff so that's why on some lists he's going to be ranked significantly higher than Carson.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 11, 2017 -> 11:48 AM)
I like Fulmer but Lopez has much better stuff so that's why on some lists he's going to be ranked significantly higher than Carson.

They both have similar stuff. They are small starting pitchers who use some funk and deception to create angles and have mid90's fastballs at the top end. I think Lopez hits the zone a tick or two faster than Fulmer, but the developmental paths are very different which does effect the rankings. I fully believe if Fulmer has taken a more traditional path through the minors and racked up big numbers against inferior competition he would be talked about a lot more highly than he is.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ May 11, 2017 -> 11:05 AM)
Well, based on the rankings we probably made a mistake if we turned down Tucker/Martes. Theres no way to know. Those two prospects could've just as easily fallen back like Giolito, but as of now that looks like a really good package for Q.

I thought the rumor with Houston was that they wouldn't give up that package for Quintana. It wasn't that we turned down a package including Tucker and Martes. Correct me if I'm wrong.

QUOTE (kevo880 @ May 11, 2017 -> 01:25 PM)
I thought the rumor with Houston was that they wouldn't give up that package for Quintana. It wasn't that we turned down a package including Tucker and Martes. Correct me if I'm wrong.

IIRC, we asked for Musgrove in addition to those two.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 11, 2017 -> 12:08 PM)
They both have similar stuff. They are small starting pitchers who use some funk and deception to create angles and have mid90's fastballs at the top end. I think Lopez hits the zone a tick or two faster than Fulmer, but the developmental paths are very different which does effect the rankings. I fully believe if Fulmer has taken a more traditional path through the minors and racked up big numbers against inferior competition he would be talked about a lot more highly than he is.

They don't have similar stuff. Lopez throws a lot harder these days and obviously misses a ton more bats. They have similar body types and they're virtually the same age so most guys who rank this type of stuff are going to have the guy with the super high velocity and great strikeout numbers ranked considerably higher than the guy who doesn't despite the great era.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 11, 2017 -> 01:06 PM)
Cheers! Welcome to Soxtalk! In the offseason, MLB.com had the White Sox at #3. Not sure how the developments in the early season affect that.

Yeah, I agree. Fulmer has good stuff and has been really limiting the BBs. Lopez on the other hand is nasty. He gets hurt sometimes because his curveball is so nasty he leans on it too much. The pitch dances.

So if they sign Robert what would be the focus in the draft at 11? Would it be the best hitter available? The pitching is good on most levels and the historical weak point has been hitting.

QUOTE (swissarmyknife @ May 11, 2017 -> 01:32 PM)
So if they sign Robert what would be the focus in the draft at 11? Would it be the best hitter available? The pitching is good on most levels and the historical weak point has been hitting.

I think most of us believe they'd prefer to go best bat available. That said, if a pitcher they're in love with falls to them then I'm sure they wont pass on him.

QUOTE (swissarmyknife @ May 11, 2017 -> 01:32 PM)

Welcome to Soxtalk! Sox would definitely go best available to matter the position at 11.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ May 11, 2017 -> 01:50 PM)
Welcome to Soxtalk! Sox would definitely go best available to matter the position at 11.

I hope so. It has been a while since the Sox had a top 2-3 farm system. I believe they will add more high end prospects if they decide to trade the veterans come the trade deadline.

QUOTE (swissarmyknife @ May 11, 2017 -> 01:56 PM)
I hope so. It has been a while since the Sox had a top 2-3 farm system. I believe they will add more high end prospects if they decide to trade the veterans come the trade deadline.

I think they will definitely trade the veterans and let the kids play when they are ready. Just gotta trust the process

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ May 11, 2017 -> 01:06 PM)
I think there was one report that said Tucker wasn't on the table.

Who knows what was really offered, if there even was an offer. Everything that I saw had Tucker off the table the entire time, but I do remember the reports that said the Sox asked for all 3. Oh well, doesn't matter.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ May 11, 2017 -> 01:58 PM)
I think they will definitely trade the veterans and let the kids play when they are ready. Just gotta trust the process

So the Sox are the baseball version of the Sixers now? Lol I sure would like to see fans chanting trust the process every time Moncada comes up to bat.