Tommy Kahnle

reiks12

Contract: Free Agent in 2021

Stats are absolutely mindboggling and dominating (best in baseball for xFIP.. currently has a NEGATIVE 0.15FIP)

Fangraphs love: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-white-s...-on-the-planet/

So what do we do about this guy going forward? If he truly has figured it out then we have him for when we should be competing again. A back end of Burdi and Kahnle throwing 100mph+ sounds like the bullpen will be dominant for years to come.

Of course, hard throwing bullpen arms come at a risk and this start is a small sample size.

So what do you hope Rick Hahn does here? Trade him at the deadline or keep him?

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (reiks12 @ May 12, 2017 -> 11:55 AM)
Contract: Free Agent in 2021

Stats are absolutely mindboggling and dominating (best in baseball for xFIP.. currently has a NEGATIVE 0.15FIP)

Fangraphs love: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-white-s...-on-the-planet/

So what do we do about this guy going forward? If he truly has figured it out then we have him for when we should be competing again. A back end of Burdi and Kahnle throwing 100mph+ sounds like the bullpen will be dominant for years to come.

Of course, hard throwing bullpen arms come at a risk and this start is a small sample size.

So what do you hope Rick Hahn does here? Trade him at the deadline or keep him?

Hope to trade him for something good. If there aren't any good offers, keep him for now.

Keep him for now. Put him in the closer's role after Robertson/Jones are traded and if he continues to pitch well he should bring in a better haul later than at the deadline. And then depending on how the rebuild is going you reevaluate again later.

He's definitely an interesting case. Shouldn't be in a rush to trade him but at the same time there's at least a chance his mechanics fall apart and he gets hit around again. If it's me I think I'm taking the chance of holding onto him unless you get blown away with an offer right now.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 12, 2017 -> 12:07 PM)
He's definitely an interesting case. Shouldn't be in a rush to trade him but at the same time there's at least a chance his mechanics fall apart and he gets hit around again. If it's me I think I'm taking the chance of holding onto him unless you get blown away with an offer right now.

Not every player doing well should be traded. Kahnle has performed well and I think the Sox will hold onto an arm like his unless they receive a really good trade offer.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ May 12, 2017 -> 11:58 AM)
Keep him for now. Put him in the closer's role after Robertson/Jones are traded and if he continues to pitch well he should bring in a better haul later than at the deadline. And then depending on how the rebuild is going you reevaluate again later.

Agree with this. I think Jones stays with the Sox until next season but I'd give Kahnle the closer's role after Jones is traded sometime in 2018. Then flip Kahnle for prospects and let Burdi take over for the foreseeable future.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 12, 2017 -> 12:07 PM)

If we get a big offer for him, you absolutely move him. Relief help is so volatile, and we have so many arms in the system right now. If someone is willing to pay up for one of our relievers, back up the truck and move them.

QUOTE (Dunt @ May 12, 2017 -> 12:09 PM)
If you get an offer worth considering, you look at it long and hard. If you dont, you still have an excellent 8th and 9th situation the next couple of seasons. Simple.

This. I'd want something pretty decent for him at this point with all that team control.

He could be awesome from here on out, or he could revert to his old self in a day or two. I don't think anyone will give you anything that would be consistent with the return of a guy who is awesome, so I would probably hang on. A really good prospect, trade him quickly, but I doubt that is likely.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 12, 2017 -> 12:08 PM)
If we get a big offer for him, you absolutely move him. Relief help is so volatile, and we have so many arms in the system right now. If someone is willing to pay up for one of our relievers, back up the truck and move them.

To expound, I am hoping for something along the Ken Giles deal.

We bring players on board through free agency, the draft or trades and help them develop into successful contributors. All the while complaining as the struggle and learn and develop presumably because they aren't hall of fame level contributors from the get go. Once they find it and succeed we start calling for them to be traded for someone or something. Don't know what or who that might be. How do you build a winning team with that approach?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 12, 2017 -> 01:18 PM)
Because 2 months ago he was a pitcher we viewed as not being able to find the strike zone. The way baseball players are valued is not static.

I think his point is just that he can easily be bad very soon again.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 12, 2017 -> 01:45 PM)
We bring players on board through free agency, the draft or trades and help them develop into successful contributors. All the while complaining as the struggle and learn and develop presumably because they aren't hall of fame level contributors from the get go. Once they find it and succeed we start calling for them to be traded for someone or something. Don't know what or who that might be. How do you build a winning team with that approach?

I agree with this to a certain extent, but the Sox are pretty well stocked with arms. If you can turn a guy like Kahnle into an interesting position player prospect, you do it every time. Whether or not that can happen remains to be seen. As we all know, outside of Moncada and Collins, the Sox have very little on the farm in the way of everyday players that project to be MLB regulars. If the Sox can turn anything on the MLB roster that we control for a short period of time, or really any pitching outside of Rodon, into position player prospects that are more than minor league filler, the Sox should do it.

Nice thing about Kahnle is having the luxury of keeping him for the next contender or trade him. Personally, I wouldn't try to trade Kahnle but if a desperate GM wants to offer a kings random then I'm game. I like the future potential in a back three of Kahnle, Burdi and Clark.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ May 12, 2017 -> 02:31 PM)
Nice thing about Kahnle is having the luxury of keeping him for the next contender or trade him. Personally, I wouldn't try to trade Kahnle but if a desperate GM wants to offer a kings random then I'm game. I like the future potential in a back three of Kahnle, Burdi and Clark.

I don't think a team would really offer up all that much for Kahnle due to such a short short track record of performance

Why move him for a middling prospect or two when the upside is likely better to keep him for a while longer?

QUOTE (steveno89 @ May 12, 2017 -> 02:34 PM)
I don't think a team would really offer up all that much for Kahnle due to such a short short track record of performance

Why move him for a middling prospect or two when the upside is likely better to keep him for a while longer?

Kahnle is one of those players I wouldn't actively seek to trade, just open to the idea if the right price was offered. I agree that it's likely nobody will pay a ransom because Kahnle doesn't have the track record yet and that's fine with me. I'm hoping the Sox can trade Robertson and Jones for nice hauls, call up Burdi and Clark to replace them and join Kahnle in the pen. If Robertson and Jones can be traded I don't think Kahnle is going anywhere anytime soon.

QUOTE (Special K @ May 12, 2017 -> 02:12 PM)
I think his point is just that he can easily be bad very soon again.

That may be, but there is evidence to suggest that this was a physical change in mechanics made by Kahnle, and the sample size is getting larger. It is certainly possible that this is a fluke, similar to Aardsma 10 years ago, but until that happens, Kahnle is going to be viewed as a piece of the future.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 12, 2017 -> 04:37 PM)
That may be, but there is evidence to suggest that this was a physical change in mechanics made by Kahnle, and the sample size is getting larger. It is certainly possible that this is a fluke, similar to Aardsma 10 years ago, but until that happens, Kahnle is going to be viewed as a piece of the future.

Think about it from a contender's point of view right now

Would you give up anything of significance for Kahnle, even if he continues to be dominant the next month or two?

It's still such a small sample size that it would be very hard to justify given his track record

QUOTE (steveno89 @ May 12, 2017 -> 04:58 PM)
Think about it from a contender's point of view right now

Would you give up anything of significance for Kahnle, even if he continues to be dominant the next month or two?

It's still such a small sample size that it would be very hard to justify given his track record

Agreed, theres no way anyone would give up anything big for him. Let's see him for a couple full years before writing him into the future bullpen and decide if it was mistake not trading him for anything we could get.

Edited by soxfan2014