Nationals acquire Doolittle/Madson from As

Whisox05

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 11, 2017 -> 07:29 PM)
How to get Robles (without giving up prospects or Q)

1. Trade Robertson, Swarzak, Kahnle, Petricka, Putnam, Southpaw, Big Hurt Beer, 50% of Hawk's catchphrases and a deep dish pizza.

2. Tell Rizzo you're actually really serious.

3. No, you're not high.

4. Steal Robles.

Post of the decade.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 11, 2017 -> 04:26 PM)
It's wearing on the so horribly, they have a 10 game lead.

They shouldn't even be focusing on their lead. Their division is complete s***.

The other problem is if they wait too long...say midway into July, because there was no "rush," then teams can start calling their bluffs because they know Rizzo isn't going to jeopardize a playoff roster that can go nowhere because a complete disaster of a bullpen.

They don't just need a closer...they need 2, 3, even 4 new pieces.

But hey, no rush...they have a 10 game lead in the NL East.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jun 11, 2017 -> 09:41 PM)
Given the leaked trade that almost went through in December, it's unlikely we even get Soto

Unless we're sending multiple pen pieces - which we can absolutely afford to do.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jun 11, 2017 -> 11:53 PM)
I would argue Robertson's value has gone up since the offseason, and Washington's need has gone up as well (playoff need, at least).

And I'd agree, but the proposed deal was so far off from the Soto/Kieboom type, that even with this change in value, it still might not be enough.

If you add Swarzak, I can see it.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 11, 2017 -> 11:29 PM)
They shouldn't even be focusing on their lead. Their division is complete s***.

The other problem is if they wait too long...say midway into July, because there was no "rush," then teams can start calling their bluffs because they know Rizzo isn't going to jeopardize a playoff roster that can go nowhere because a complete disaster of a bullpen.

They don't just need a closer...they need 2, 3, even 4 new pieces.

But hey, no rush...they have a 10 game lead in the NL East.

Calling their bluff? You think the price of David Robertson is going to go up? My point is the deal they could make to get him now, will be available for them to make in July when they still have an enormous lead, and are still playoff bound. You might as well give yourself some time. What if they trade for Robertson now, give up some pieces and he gets hurt in June, or what if he becomes a gas can? Your wad is blown. Robertson's price tag, from most accounts, is huge right now. You can wait and see if it goes on sale, or see if something else is available you may like more for the same price or less later.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jun 11, 2017 -> 10:41 PM)
Given the leaked trade that almost went through in December, it's unlikely we even get Soto

Can someone refresh my memory on what the leaked trade was in the offseason that got nixed?

QUOTE (kevo880 @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 10:24 AM)
Can someone refresh my memory on what the leaked trade was in the offseason that got nixed?

Washington sends Luzardo and Ward to the White Sox for Robertson and cash

Nixed by Washington's ownership due to money issues.

I would argue that Robertson's value has increased, both due to good performance and the money owed to him being less with each passing month.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 12:04 PM)
Robertson''s value has increased, while his money has decreased and the Nats bullpen needs have greatly increased.

Exactly. I think it's very possible a deal can happen with Kieboom and Luzardo coming back for Robertson.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 12:49 PM)
Exactly. I think it's very possible a deal can happen with Kieboom and Luzardo coming back for Robertson.

Money still seems to be a point of contention. Robertson is owed $12 million next season. That number is less crazy that it was a few years ago, but it's still not cheap.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 12:04 PM)
Robertson''s value has increased, while his money has decreased and the Nats bullpen needs have greatly increased.

The other side of this is that although they will owe him less money, they will also have him for a shorter period of time which decreases his value.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 01:37 PM)
Money still seems to be a point of contention. Robertson is owed $12 million next season. That number is less crazy that it was a few years ago, but it's still not cheap.

The Sox should be covering 100% of the salary to get better pieces back. Their payroll is 50 cents for the next 3 years, they should be taking that opportunity to do what 'rich' teams do and eat salary to get better prospects back.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 03:00 PM)
The Sox should be covering 100% of the salary to get better pieces back. Their payroll is 50 cents for the next 3 years, they should be taking that opportunity to do what 'rich' teams do and eat salary to get better prospects back.

With the White Sox writing a $50 million check this year for Luis Robert, I seriously doubt that is going to happen.