Nationals acquire Doolittle/Madson from As

Whisox05

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 10:54 AM)
The Nats bullpen is like the village bicycle. Everyone gets a turn.

I feel like every time Rizzo does something like this he is saying "Please work" over and over

QUOTE (mac9001 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 09:39 AM)
Given the Nats bullpen woes I wonder what the haul would be if we send them Robertson, Kahnle & Swarzak. If I'm Rick Hahn I'd be calling Rizzo and planting the go big idea over the next few weeks.

I almost posted this exact thought about 10 minutes ago. :huh:

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 11:39 AM)
He is pretty much blowing into his Nintendo cartridges right now.

Rizzo is not an idiot, so to me this is screaming that they just don't have budget. This could be an attempt of saying "look seriously we have no options, we need to take on at least another 10 mill."

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 10:42 AM)
I almost posted this exact thought about 10 minutes ago. :huh:

Yep, I just came to the board to post that too. Its got to be an option. Do you ask for Robles who is still in A ball and Kieboom and/or Luis Garcia who is 17 years old? Both still a ways away from playing in the big leagues.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 11:47 AM)
Rizzo is not an idiot, so to me this is screaming that they just don't have budget. This could be an attempt of saying "look seriously we have no options, we need to take on at least another 10 mill."

The Nationals dont strike me as a team that is hurting for money, i would think their ownership would be able to add some players like Robertson. I feel like this is Rizzo being unwilling to meet trade demands because he wants to keep his prospects. I can understand that to a point, but at the same time this team is so close to being World Series worthy. I mean, this is the same guy who sat Strasburg in the final stretch of a season where they were clearly a top team in the league, at Boras's request.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 11:47 AM)

I agree he just appears stuck between a rock and a hard place, he wants to keep his blue chip in Robles but ownership has made it so he can't even afford to take on a

reasonable contract (Robertson) let alone one a bad contract to protect whats left of their farm. Its compounded by the fact they need minimum two possibly three relievers. If they don't fix their bullpen it'll be another early exit for their organization when the post season starts.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 11:54 AM)
The Nationals dont strike me as a team that is hurting for money, i would think their ownership would be able to add some players like Robertson. I feel like this is Rizzo being unwilling to meet trade demands because he wants to keep his prospects. I can understand that to a point, but at the same time this team is so close to being World Series worthy. I mean, this is the same guy who sat Strasburg in the final stretch of a season where they were clearly a top team in the league, at Boras's request.

According to Nightengales report, the first Robo deal was killed at ownership level, due to cash. They are at high end. They did have that big offer to Jansen but it definitely seems like there's an issue here.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 11:56 AM)
According to Nightengales report, the first Robo deal was killed at ownership level, due to cash. They are at high end. They did have that big offer to Jansen but it definitely seems like there's an issue here.

Idk how they offer Melancon/Jansen big money and then cry poor in a Robertson deal.

The trade cost for relief help has skyrocketed ion recent years, and any decent setup arm or closer is warranting a big return (see Miller, Chapman, Thornburg trades)

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 11:56 AM)

So I haven't been able to follow this but it seems worth bringing up - what was the deal with the MASN legal judgment that came down yesterday? Supposedly it was favorable to the Nats. Could that be a difference maker?

QUOTE (mac9001 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 11:39 AM)
Given the Nats bullpen woes I wonder what the haul would be if we send them Robertson, Kahnle & Swarzak. If I'm Rick Hahn I'd be calling Rizzo and planting the go big idea over the next few weeks.

Robles for their pick of any 4 relievers, with the Sox picking up the rest of Robertson's money this year. Then the OF of the future would be in place, and the Nats are well on their way to a showdown with LA.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 12:18 PM)
Robles for their pick of any 4 relievers, with the Sox picking up the rest of Robertson's money this year. Then the OF of the future would be in place, and the Nats are well on their way to a showdown with LA.

Robles will not be traded as he is the direct replacement for Harper after next season.

The Nationals could dangle Soto/Kieboom/Stephenson/Fedde/Neuse/Luzardo for bullpen help though

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 12:28 PM)
Robles will not be traded as he is the direct replacement for Harper after next season.

The Nationals could dangle Soto/Kieboom/Stephenson/Fedde/Neuse/Luzardo for bullpen help though

It might be tempting to fix your bullpen in one move and have it fixed while Harper is around than worry that the guy in A ball will be up to replacing Harper in a couple of years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 12:13 PM)
So I haven't been able to follow this but it seems worth bringing up - what was the deal with the MASN legal judgment that came down yesterday? Supposedly it was favorable to the Nats. Could that be a difference maker?

Hmm, yeah. Looks like that was about $300 million in fees that stalled. Still looks like even though ruling favored nats they need to agree to amounts

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 11:30 AM)
It might be tempting to fix your bullpen in one move and have it fixed while Harper is around than worry that the guy in A ball will be up to replacing Harper in a couple of years.

Very true--they might just keep him because they want him, but I doubt they are thinking Robels will be the only capable replacement for Bryce Harper IF they don't resign him. They aren't going to throw away a year because of that...then again...they did punt a season where they had the inside track on a pennant run to save Strasburg some innings.........

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 12:18 PM)

This is my dream DA. Sox ownership says screw it and picks up his deal and adds Kahnle. Sox get Robles

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 12:35 PM)
If Washington is willing, it would be cool to see us go all out with this trade and package our top 3 for a haul.

Robertson/Kahnle/Swarzak for Soto/Kieboom/Ward/Marmolejos/Garcia/throw-in

Would be awesome to see that happen. Nats get to keep their top 2 prospects and also increase their chances of winning this year or next. I'm big on Soto and Kieboom.

Edit: actually, don't like those other names. Make Ward or Marmolejos the throw-in piece and add Luzardo.

Edited by soxfan2014