Nationals acquire Doolittle/Madson from As

Whisox05

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 12:13 PM)
Would be awesome to see that happen. Nats get to keep their top 2 prospects and also increase their chances of winning this year or next. I'm big on Soto and Kieboom.

I'd rather leave Kahnle out of it and do something like Robertson, Swarzak, and cash for Soto and Kieboom. Keep Kahnle and let him close the rest of this season and first half of next and then unload him for an Andrew Miller type package.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 01:18 PM)
I'd rather leave Kahnle out of it and do something like Robertson, Swarzak, and cash for Soto and Kieboom. Keep Kahnle and let him close the rest of this season and first half of next and then unload him for an Andrew Miller type package.

Odds are pretty snug to 100% that this is a pipe dream. The odds are infinitely better that this Kahnle is a flash in the pan, and we regret not getting what we could for him versus him turning into Andrew Miller.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 11:19 AM)
Odds are pretty snug to 100% that this is a pipe dream. The odds are infinitely better that this Kahnle is a flash in the pan, and we regret not getting what we could for him versus him turning into Andrew Miller.

I don't even necessarily think he is a flash in the pan...but I don't think he has the ceiling that Andrew Miller has...that dude is just unreal.

If the offer is there to get a guy you really, really like, you move Kahnle.

But otherwise, I'd be willing to gamble with him a bit.

If Robles is on the table it's time to cash in on Kahnle. The Nats bullpen deficiencies require multiple moves, we're the only team out there that can address it in one deal and do it in a way that adds no financial burden to their books. If Rizzo's plan is to go out and find three Swarzak's he'll likely come up short than overpay for a lesser option after the trade deadline. At some point including Robles in a deal like this might actually make more sense from an asset standpoint than doing multiple smaller deals and gutting their farm depth. The Sox offer the added benefit of immediate relief and longer term asset control. It puts the Nats in a better position to resign a guy like Swarzak and you have multiple years of control on Kahnle and at least one more year of Robertson.

But from Rizzo's perspective you figure there's a certain level of hesitance to pull another big deal with the same team in the course of such a short window. The perception that he gave away the farm to the Sox would be a fairly accurate judgment.

QUOTE (mac9001 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 02:20 PM)
If Robles is on the table it's time to cash in on Kahnle. The Nats bullpen deficiencies require multiple moves, we're the only team out there that can address it in one deal and do it in a way that adds no financial burden to their books. If Rizzo's plan is to go out and find three Swarzak's he'll likely come up short than overpay for a lesser option after the trade deadline. At some point including Robles in a deal like this might actually make more sense from an asset standpoint than doing multiple smaller deals and gutting their farm depth. The Sox offer the added benefit of immediate relief and longer term asset control. It puts the Nats in a better position to resign a guy like Swarzak and you have multiple years of control on Kahnle and at least one more year of Robertson.

But from Rizzo's perspective you figure there's a certain level of hesitance to pull another big deal with the same team in the course of such a short window. The perception that he gave away the farm to the Sox would be a fairly accurate judgment.

He's not. They are absolutely not trading a consensus top 10 prospect for relievers, regardless of how many you throw at them. We, better than anyone, should realize what it takes to get a top 10 OF. We just did it. It took 3+ years of a cost controlled All Star SP.

Harper is gone in a couple years and they know that they will need a replacement. Refocus on Soto and/or Kieboom. They are a hell of a lot more realistic than Robles.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 11:47 AM)
Rizzo is not an idiot, so to me this is screaming that they just don't have budget. This could be an attempt of saying "look seriously we have no options, we need to take on at least another 10 mill."

I think you're right. It's such a s***-show, they're really not fooling anyone with these random minor leaguers. There's no actual defense of it as a strategy unless he simply doesn't have other options.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 02:32 PM)
He's not. They are absolutely not trading a consensus top 10 prospect for relievers, regardless of how many you throw at them. We, better than anyone, should realize what it takes to get a top 10 OF. We just did it. It took 3+ years of a cost controlled All Star SP.

Harper is gone in a couple years and they know that they will need a replacement. Refocus on Soto and/or Kieboom. They are a hell of a lot more realistic than Robles.

I agree, I expect they'll do a bunch of small deals and if the Nats fall short of making the playoffs due to their bullpen I expect Rizzo to lose his job.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 12:34 PM)
I think you're right. It's such a s***-show, they're really not fooling anyone with these random minor leaguers. There's no actual defense of it as a strategy unless he simply doesn't have other options.

Come on! So trade someone else from a strength to free up the cash! I refuse to believe that this is about money. If it is, the guy needs to be more f***ing creative.

To me, the guy is trying to be cute, and he's going to get burned.

I understand the argument that Robles needs to replace Harper, but PEOPLE, do you understand NO ONE WILL REPLACE HARPER. Harper is a generational player that was doing in the major leagues what Robles is doing in A ball at the same age.

The Nats need to WIN while Harper is still in their uniform, not dick around worrying about a guy in A ball.

Again, not saying he should just trade Robles to the White Sox for all their relievers. But he absolutely should be willing to move minor league assets to win now. Because if they lose in the postseason because Rizzo went cheap on the pen, I can't imagine Harper is going to care that Robles is still around. And if they fail to win while Harper is here, it isn't going to be easier than it is now because Robles comes in to replace him.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 02:47 PM)
Come on! So trade someone else from a strength to free up the cash! I refuse to believe that this is about money. If it is, the guy needs to be more f***ing creative.

I understand the argument that Robles needs to replace Harper, but PEOPLE, do you understand NO ONE WILL REPLACE HARPER. Harper is a generational player that was doing in the major leagues what Robles is doing in A ball at the same age.

The Nats need to WIN while Harper is still in their uniform, not dick around worrying about a guy in A ball.

Again, not saying he should just trade Robles to the White Sox for all their relievers. But he absolutely should be willing to move minor league assets to win now. Because if they lose in the postseason because Rizzo went cheap on the pen, I can't imagine Harper is going to care that Robles is still around. And if they fail to win while Harper is here, it isn't going to be easier than it is now because Robles comes in to replace him.

I agree, he's got to get more creative. To win now, he can more than stabilize his bullpen problem with multiple relievers from the White Sox, give up Robles and let Soto eventually be the "Harper replacement." Of course Soto is a step down from Robles but by wasting this potential championship year, you have essentially lost Harper for this year as well...and not just the future.

Or get even more creative and give up Robles & Luzardo or some other lottery ticket for Robertson, Kahnle and Basabe or Call to keep another potential "Harper replacement" in the wings.

QUOTE (heirdog @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 03:04 PM)
I agree, he's got to get more creative. To win now, he can more than stabilize his bullpen problem with multiple relievers from the White Sox, give up Robles and let Soto eventually be the "Harper replacement." Of course Soto is a step down from Robles but by wasting this potential championship year, you have essentially lost Harper for this year as well...and not just the future.

Or get even more creative and give up Robles & Luzardo or some other lottery ticket for Robertson, Kahnle and Basabe or Call to keep another potential "Harper replacement" in the wings.

I disagree. Teams will ask Rizzo for Robles all day, but they simply are not getting him.

He likely will be able to make decent bullpen acquisitions with guys like Luzardo/Neuse/Kieboom/Marmolejos/Stephenson/Watson/Johnson and not have to sacrifice Fedde/Soto/Robles.

There is not a Chapman/Miller level reliever out there that is a lock down guy, hence Robles/Soto stay.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 01:47 PM)

I mean I don't disagree with you, I'm just trying to rationalize his behavior. Who knows what constraints the ownership group have put on him? We all know what it's like to have to execute something you know is dumb because your boss made the call.

Maybe he just legitimately believes the asking prices will go down at the 11th hour.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 01:23 PM)
I mean I don't disagree with you, I'm just trying to rationalize his behavior. Who knows what constraints the ownership group have put on him? We all know what it's like to have to execute something you know is dumb because your boss made the call.

Maybe he just legitimately believes the asking prices will go down at the 11th hour.

Yeah, I know...that is a risk that I would be unwilling to take with his ballclub.

If I was Brian Cashman? Yeah, maybe. I am at the beginning of a window that I probably shouldn't even be in yet.

But teams like the Cubs and Nationals and Dodgers and Red Sox?

Yeah, you need to not be messing around right now.

I suppose I just identify more with the Dombrowski and Epstein approach.

Casey Stern on MlbNetwork radio just went off on an Astros fan who suggested standing pat so they could save all their prospects.

"What is it with all of you fans that want to assemble an army in the minor leagues when you already have all your ml positions filled out? What could you possibly be waiting for???"

Epic rant.

Awesome.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 01:32 PM)

It happened just last year. The problem is if Robles is getting traded for a reliever it's not for Robertson. They would probably start targeting Osuna or Iglesias if a prospect like Robles is on the table. Guys that are cost controlled and good. Even Britton before Robertson if you are going there, although not sure he would be available to the Nats.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 01:26 PM)
I don't even necessarily think he is a flash in the pan...but I don't think he has the ceiling that Andrew Miller has...that dude is just unreal.

If the offer is there to get a guy you really, really like, you move Kahnle.

But otherwise, I'd be willing to gamble with him a bit.

Yea

Don't move him for a meh prospect. Move him if it gets the Sox who they want.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 11:35 AM)
Very true--they might just keep him because they want him, but I doubt they are thinking Robels will be the only capable replacement for Bryce Harper IF they don't resign him. They aren't going to throw away a year because of that...then again...they did punt a season where they had the inside track on a pennant run to save Strasburg some innings.........

Don't underestimate how dumb the Nationals are. They should have just started Strasburg in July and let him pitch through the playoffs. They were gonna make it regardless. Also, if they think Robles is going to replace Harper they are mistaken. The only way to retain Harper's production is to win the WS and re-sign him. The Nationals run of making the postseason is about to come to an end in a year or two so might as well go for it.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 10:16 PM)
A certain familiar outfit just blew an 8-0 lead....they could use a bullpen upgrade themselves.

Really though, there's no good reason Robertson and Swarzak are on this team in a couple weeks. Probably Kahnle too. This coming from a guy that likes those two guys as well.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 02:39 PM)
Casey Stern on MlbNetwork radio just went off on an Astros fan who suggested standing pat so they could save all their prospects.

"What is it with all of you fans that want to assemble an army in the minor leagues when you already have all your ml positions filled out? What could you possibly be waiting for???"

Epic rant.

Awesome.

Sounds like the same kind of rant I've had about Houston . But it's not just their fans its their management, too. But we'll see what Houston does by July 31st.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 11:48 PM)
Sounds like the same kind of rant I've had about Houston . But it's not just their fans its their management, too. But we'll see what Houston does by July 31st.

This dude wanted to run Brad Peacock out for game 3 of a playoff series, and then "piggyback" their 4 and 5 starters off him for the remainder of the game and just use a "quick hook."

You could hear Casey Stern sighing in the background and basically getting completely pissed off.

Then he just went off on the guy...

You want to start BRAD PEACOCK in your playoff series? What are the Astros waiting for??? How about actually trying to win now!

He then went through all their young stars and asked WHERE ARE YOU GOING TO PLAY YOUR PROSPECTS? Do you want to bring up a SECOND team to play in the major leagues??

I was dying.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 07:52 AM)
This dude wanted to run Brad Peacock out for game 3 of a playoff series, and then "piggyback" their 4 and 5 starters off him for the remainder of the game and just use a "quick hook."

You could hear Casey Stern sighing in the background and basically getting completely pissed off.

You want to start BRAD PEACOCK in your playoff series? What are the Astros waiting for??? How about actually trying to win now!

He then went through all their young stars and asked WHERE ARE YOU GOING TO PLAY YOUR PROSPECTS? Do you want to bring up a SECOND team to play in the major leagues??

I was dying.

That's gold right there! :lolhitting

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 07:52 AM)

I was dying.

Not that I disagree with the overall point, but Brad Peacock is pretty goddamn filthy nowadays.