Nationals acquire Doolittle/Madson from As

Whisox05

Nice move by Rizzo. All he needs to do is find a few more middle relievers to compliment this trade and they're in much better shape. Those middle relievers won't cost the Nat's too much in prospects so they'll keep their big names. Would be shocked if they were still in on Robertson.

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 16, 2017 -> 10:49 AM)
Nice move by Rizzo. All he needs to do is find a few more middle relievers to compliment this trade and they're in much better shape. Those middle relievers won't cost the Nat's too much in prospects so they'll keep their big names. Would be shocked if they were still in on Robertson.

In the League wide speculation thread on who gets the balling rolling, Daggins mentioned Ryan Madson to the Red Sox and I quoted his post right after and said Doolittle would be a good get though I never specified to which team.

I actually like the return for Oakland. Luzardo is the classic wild card type for a reliever but he has pitched since his Tommy John and in 13 ip has 15ks and zero walks. Neuse is doing better than Ward(offseason offer for Robertson w/Luzardo) Trienen could regain form. I would have at least listened at this for Robertson + Swarzak. From Nats point, they get a LHP with more years of control than Swarzak. The Nats also get two weeks to see if this fixes things.

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Jul 16, 2017 -> 01:27 PM)
I actually like the return for Oakland. Luzardo is the classic wild card type for a reliever but he has pitched since his Tommy John and in 13 ip has 15ks and zero walks. Neuse is doing better than Ward(offseason offer for Robertson w/Luzardo) Trienen could regain form. I would have at least listened at this for Robertson + Swarzak. From Nats point, they get a LHP with more years of control than Swarzak. The Nats also get two weeks to see if this fixes things.

Good move by rizzo to get two solid arms and not sell the farm. Keeping Robles, Soto, Fedde and kieboom was key.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 16, 2017 -> 12:26 PM)
Because adding 3 good relievers would be better than adding just 2. Especially when you bought the first 2 so cheap.

But you get diminishing marginal returns on the 3rd, which makes it even less likely that the Nats would pay the price people want for Robertson (which wasn't likely to happen anyway).

heck both Doolittle and Madson are having better years than Robertson.

As look like they got 2 good players statistically; top 100 lists can be lagging indicators, so if their scouting is good, then they may have done well.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Jul 16, 2017 -> 04:02 PM)
A's got hosed. Way to lower the bar for relievers Oakland.

One of the reasons I'm glad we traded Q just as As started shopping in earnest. I think they are a team that can undercut you because they tend to ask for some weird returns sometimes.

The A's ate no money in the deal. I'm sure the return could have been better if they done so. Beane also goes against the grain when it comes to prospects/players.

I'm still expecting a decent return for Robertson.

I'm not sure about that. Treinen is a legit guy, albeit having a down year. Beane said he had two teams contact him immediately to try and acquire him. If Treinen regains his form as the 2 WAR RP from last year he will have a good amount of value when the A's flip him next summer. Luzardo is a guy that was really highly thought of before his TJS, and early returns are adding to his value.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 17, 2017 -> 10:07 AM)
Morosi saying Nats will continue looking for a reliever and a starter, and apparently a key factor in that is that they didn't give up any of their top 5 prospects in their deal with the A's.

Yea - if Edwin Jacksons starting 5 for them they need another SP :lol:

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 17, 2017 -> 03:38 AM)
The A's ate no money in the deal. I'm sure the return could have been better if they done so. Beane also goes against the grain when it comes to prospects/players.

I'm still expecting a decent return for Robertson.

Which, btw, is exactly the opposite of Beane's comments yesterday - which talked entirely about how they need to have a strong, winning team when they move into their new ballpark so he's now trying to maximize his team's talent for that time.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 17, 2017 -> 01:11 PM)
Remember when Billy Beane was THE GM?

Yes...until Moneyball came out it seems! I've often wondered if that movie was really put together by the A's PR team to show everyone just how NOT crazy they are and to build fan faith and hold the people's interest in their "process"--because they KNEW it was going to be a HOT MESS for years. But then again...I get to thinking...Brad Pitt starred and he's WAY too big of a name for Beane to shell out $ for. How's that for Drakegate?? Beanegate maybe?? And speaking of LaRoche...I'm SURE he was on Beane's radar after posting a .401 OBP in his short stint with Atlanta in 2009...Coincidence? YOU be the judge....

Edited by FT35